General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking is a pain in the neck Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-02 7:12 AM

New user

Greenwich, CT
Subject: Biking is a pain in the neck
Went on my first longish road ride yesterday (12 miles, a few steeps) on my new skinny tire bike and felt great the rest of the day.

I'm assuming that it's only normal that my shoulders, neck, and upper back are stiffish today; but what are some warning signs to look out for as far as body pain brought about by the bike? ie., how do I know if it's "good" soreness which will eventually go away as my body gets stronger & more accustomed to the new positions I'm putting it in; vs. "bad" soreness - bad position on the bike, something needs to be adjusted, etc.?

2004-03-02 7:54 AM
in reply to: #10059

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: Biking is a pain in the neck
I'm with you green....
I rode 16 miles for the first time outside on the bike path on Sunday and the left side of my neck and left shoulder are still tight and sore today. Up to Sunday I was on my indoor trainer and was able to ride up to 20 miles without pain. Weird....

Looking forward to some insight from the others on this one.
2004-03-02 8:38 AM

, Alabama

The soreness can come from several causes.  Sometimes, especially on a longer ride I find myself tensing up my shoulders.  It is something I have to remember and concentrate on and relax them.  Also, when down in the drops or aero bars I sometimes find myself craning my neck way up to see far down the road.  It is generally better to look only slightly up, only occasionally looking all the way up to check for obstacles in the road.  

If you're used to a mountain bike and were down in the drops a lot, it is natural to be sore from that because it's a new position for you.  Next time you are on your bike, check and see if there is any unnecessary tension in your shoulders or if you are craning your head up too much. 

My 2 cents.

Sharon

2004-03-02 10:08 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
A bit of soreness on extended rides of 2 hours or more is expected, but after 16 miles, it should not be that bad. Etither you are too tensed up or the bike is not set up properly. If it is the former, try to relax your upper body when you ride. Do NOT bunch your shoulders; this will make you tense and make your neck, shoulders, and arms ache. Adopt a "quiet" position, ie shoulders back and down, hands on the bars lightly (not clenched in a stranglehold). Shift the position of your your hands once in awhile; that's why the bars are shaped like that to allow you to do just that. If the latter is the cause, then seek guidance from a professional at your local bike shop on how to properly fit your bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking is a pain in the neck Rss Feed