General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/Clyde hill strategy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-12 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Athena/Clyde hill strategy?
I've got a hilly 5K coming up. The past 2 times I've done this race, I've been really disappointed with my time.

3 good climbs, and 2 are back-to-back doozies within the last half-mile.

I am debating whether to jog up the first hill, but at comfy pace, then speed walk up the last 2 and fly on the 2 downhills, which is easy because of my weight. Or try to jog all 3.

My question is this: With so much weight to pull up the hill, what do YOU find is most efficient?

(I am doing hill repeats once a week, plus interval training on this course with a group, but we don't always hit the hills and certainly not always in the last half-mile.)

2008-09-12 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1669878

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: RE: Athena/Clyde hill strategy?

Offthegrid - 2008-09-12 8:36 AM I've got a hilly 5K coming up. The past 2 times I've done this race, I've been really disappointed with my time. 3 good climbs, and 2 are back-to-back doozies within the last half-mile. I am debating whether to jog up the first hill, but at comfy pace, then speed walk up the last 2 and fly on the 2 downhills, which is easy because of my weight. Or try to jog all 3. My question is this: With so much weight to pull up the hill, what do YOU find is most efficient? (I am doing hill repeats once a week, plus interval training on this course with a group, but we don't always hit the hills and certainly not always in the last half-mile.)

My rule of thumb is if I can run up it withour my HR hitting the 170s then I do so.  If I can't then I'm walking up.

2008-09-12 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1669878

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

When I train on hills, I am better at racing on hills.  I suggest you run a lot of hills between now and your race and try to find a comfortable pace at which you can run them.  Then fly on the downhill, as well.  Just put one foot in front of the other and keep a good rhythm.  Breathe!

The good thing about your upcoming race is that you know what to expect, and you know what your time to beat is!!  You can do it...be sure to pop back in here and let us all know how it went.

2008-09-12 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1670055

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I found technique helps too.  On hills, if I shorten the stride but increase the cadence, it keeps the HR down.  I want to say it kind of looks like "shuffling", but it's not.  It's more like a lot of really quick baby steps.  Since you are lifting your weight only a little bit on each step compared to a long stride, it seems to save the legs.

Works for me....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/Clyde hill strategy? Rss Feed