General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing with tendonitis - bad idea? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-12 1:37 PM

Subject: Racing with tendonitis - bad idea?

I have had off and on knee pain for about a year.  Usually doesn't keep me from missing any training.  My knee hurt worse then usual last week and I went to doctor.  He said its tendonitis and to rest and ice it.

So, a week goes by and I have rested all week.  It feels pretty good now.  I ran a couple easy miles at lunch today and felt a twinge but not really pain.  And maybe I just felt this because I was thinking about it the whole time.

I have a sprint tri this weekend.  Thoughts on if I should do it? 

2008-09-12 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1670811

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Racing with tendonitis - bad idea?

I would say it depends on how important the sprint is vs the rest of the year to you.

I had a similar situation back in April with my achilles (tendonitis as well) and a HIM. I decided to change to the Aquabike since the risk of tearing my achilles on the run and missing the rest of the year weighed more heavily than a HIM finisher's shirt and medal.

But then a year ago I had the same quandry, same issue, but for a full IM. With that one, I felt the reward of finishing an IM outweighed the risk of injury.

Bottom line, if you want to risk injury and race, do it. If you have a bigger goal for the year, hold off and get healthy. Way I look at it anyway.

Edited by apw0397 2008-09-12 3:15 PM
2008-09-12 3:55 PM
in reply to: #1670811

Subject: RE: Racing with tendonitis - bad idea?
Good advice -- no, this isn't important enough to miss further training or racing.  I think its one of those situations where if you have to ask, you already know the answer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing with tendonitis - bad idea? Rss Feed