General Discussion Triathlon Talk » water temp for wetsuit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-16 10:17 AM

User image

Subject: water temp for wetsuit
Hi, new member and new to the sport. I will be doing my 1st sprint distance tri in may and the water temp will be 65 - 70. At what temp is a wetsuit a good idea, and at what temp is it nesessary. I have read that wearing a wet suit can reduce your 100m times by 20 seconds for a weak swimmer. Is that true? If so that is a significant amount. an would put anyone with out a wetsuit WAY behind. Any way, I don't have a wet suit and they are not cheap. Do I need to save to get one?

2005-02-16 10:23 AM
in reply to: #117981

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: water temp for wetsuit
There are some good deals to be had on wetsuits - might be last year's inventory, but that doesn't make them a poor choice. Check www.racycles.com, and there's another website (can't remember it right now) that may have some closeouts. And check www.trisports.com, too.Typically, wetsuits are required under 65 degrees, recommended for 65-72 (or 75 at some tris) and not allowed over like 78 degrees. Different tris have different regs, so always check the rules.I don't know about 20s per 100m being the typical speed increase, but you'll definitely be more bouyant.
2005-02-16 10:28 AM

User image

thanks for the quick response. I guess you are saying get one. thanks.
2005-02-16 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
ProMotion has cheaper ones. Check their sales section for reduced prices on last year's models.... I think the website is www.wetsuit.com

USAT rules are wetsuits allowed with 78 degrees or less water temperature....And something else I didn't know when I verified that number...if you are an age-grouper you can actually wear it if the water temp is between 78 and 84...but you can't win any awards :-(

Never done a sprint, but I suppose you would have to weigh the consideration of how much faster you will actually be with the wetsuit on with how much longer it will make your transition. It's a no-brainer for long events, but short ones...dunno....

Since I didn't have open water swimming access, I jumped in the pool with my wetsuit on to get used to swimming in it. Maybe try that and see if it makes you much faster or not. Just make sure you rinse the wetsuit off well and don't do it too much...the chlorine can be bad for the suit.

And of course there is always what I consider the best method of determining if you should do something in a triathlon or not (especially for a beginner). Have all options available, and see what everybody else is doing :-) In other words, bring your wetsuit and if everybody else is wearing on, put it on :-D But that might just be me...

Now I defer to the experts....
2005-02-16 1:36 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I don't know that wetsuits are required at any temp but I suppose the individual race could require them. I swam my first tri last May without a wetsuit and it was cold (~68) but once I got moving it wasn't a problem. That being said, a wetsuit is a great idea...especially if you aren't a very efficient swimmer. The extra floatation it gives (especially in the legs) helps maintain proper balance and position in the water and allows you to focus your energy on moving forward. The weaker a swimmer you are the more a wetsuit will help you. There are usually lightly used suits on eBay. You can also rent a wetsuit for the event if you're not sure about sticking with the sport yet but they can run $50+ for a rental so it's a good bit of money. If you think you're going to stick with tris then you should look to purchase yourself a suit. Full suits are more expensive of course but are also faster. ProMotion has about the best bang-for-buck wetsuits out there. You can pick up a new Fluid Drive sleeveless suit for $169 plus you get %15 off for being a BT member. Their service is fantastic and the Power Glide full I bought from them a few months ago is very nice.

From the USAT rule book:

"Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wet suit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wet suit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit. The wetsuit policy for elite athletes shall be determined by the USAT Athletes Advisory Council."
2005-02-16 2:22 PM

User image

thanks again to all. I was looking on ebay and noticed that wetsuit listed in the sufting catagories are cheaper. Is it OK to by a wetsuit not specifically designed for swimming/triathlon?

2005-02-16 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
More experienced members might say something different, but if I were to purchase a wetsuit for tris (which I probably will soon), I would definitely go with a tri suit not a "regular" wetsuit. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe tri suits have more flexibility/less material in the should area to allow for a better stroke. I rented a suit for one tri, it was a diving suit, and I felt I could hardly rotate my arms!
2005-02-16 2:57 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
It's important to get a suit made specifically for swimming. Surfing wetsuits might work okay, but I'd really suggest a triathlon wetsuit.
2005-02-16 3:03 PM

Master
Colorado
2005-02-18 2:13 AM

Subject: Rent!
Our local Tri shop rents Ironman Stealth Wetsuits for $10 per day...Check around and see if someone in your area does the same. It's a great way to try out a few suits and sizes in a real Tri before you buy, which is what I plan to do (from this shop, gotta give back) after I've done a couple more!

PS If you are not a strong swimmer, I would wear a wetsuit in any Tri in which it is legal!
2005-02-18 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Check out this site:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/wetsuit.shtml

I was wondering the same question yesterday.

Randy

2005-02-18 10:35 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago

Hey Randy.  I though you resembled the 400m Olympic gold medalist, but now that you went and changed your avatar....I think you more closely resemble a red and white P3.

2005-02-18 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
With all this talk about 400m runners, I had to go and find out who actually won the Olympic Gold. I am also trying to get excited about track and field since it is starting up again for me in two weeks. Life is really going to get interesting these next 3 months with family, track, and Tri training.

I told my wife that I would not even think about training for a full Ironman until I quit coaching. (Maybe 5-10 years and after I complete my first Tri...HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA)

By the way, his name is Jeremy Wariner.

Randy
2005-02-18 5:18 PM
in reply to: #118136

User image

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

Like others have said, you definitely want to make sure you get a wetsuit specifically designed for swimming.  These are engineered for maximum bouyancy and flexibility.  A wetsuit designed for basic watersports might keep you warm, but might actually hamper your swimming.

As far as temp, I'll wear mine right up to 78 deg.  USAT rules allow AGers who don't mind being removed from potential of winning awards to wear them between 78 and 84, but I really think that rule should change.  That's just too warm IMO.  Depending on the length of the swim, overheating becomes a real concern at those temps.  I've practiced in mine in water that was about 80, and I got pretty darn warm within about 10 min.  It's up to the race director's discretion on this rule.  I've had a race with a 1.5 mile swim where the water was 79, and the RD said "no wetsuits for anyone" due to concerns of overheating.

I'd be surprised if you saved as much as 20 sec per 100.  That seems like a lot.  No question, though, you'll be higher in the water and you'll find the going easier.

At what point do you NEED a suit due to cold water?  That's a very individual thing.  Some people have much greater tolerance for cold water than others.  My very first race the water was 60 deg and 1000 meters.  Only a handful of people did it without wetsuits.  A couple of them were very inexperienced swimmers and did not make it very far before being pulled into a boat.  A couple others made it okay.  I wouldn't have wanted to try it.  That's pretty freakin' cold IMO.

-Steve

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » water temp for wetsuit Rss Feed