General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run Bike Swim Approach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-15 1:44 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Run Bike Swim Approach

Any of you done one of these before?

Couple of questions on strategy here. Approach the run hard (my best event) and then give it all on the bike? My reasoning for this is that I can maybe push some of you cyclists on the run so that you feel the pain on the bike...

What do you think will be the common approach? take the run easy to save it for the bike?

The swim is rather short (400m), so getting there gassed should be your goal, right? i'm not that great a swimmer, but my guess is that swimming gassed for that distance won't be all that bad.

How do those races usually end? Does time stop when you climb out or do you have to cross a finish line somewhere?

I'm going to go scout the area out in a week or so (it's not far from my house), so i'm guessing I'll answer a few questions myself when I get there, but would appreciate any input.

Searches on the forum didn't really yield much...

Thanks.

Edited by tri_d00d 2008-09-15 1:47 PM

2008-09-15 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1675156

Expert
Subject: RE: Run Bike Swim Approach
I've done a few of these before.

Go fairly easy on the run, no need to push really hard.

Build up on the bike, start the bike at 70% and build up to like 80-90%

Don't go and blow yourself up though, the 400m is a lot harder than it sounds if you do it last. It normally ends when you get out of the pool. At our race, there was someone looking at the numbers on our arm and he was giving the time recorder person the time when you hit the final wall.

Hope this helps
2008-09-16 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

My first triathlon was a reverse tri.  While I don't have any strategy advice (I was way slow back then), I liked it because: 1) in cold weather, swimming at the end of the race beats riding while soaked and 2) the race will be spread out by the time you get to the swim so the pool is less crowded (unlike a normal pool triathlon).

Good luck!

Brian 

2008-09-16 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Altoona, Iowa
I did a reverse tri a few week ago. Some advice I have has already been said. Don't go all out on the run. You will have fresh legs and might feel like being a rabbit but save it for the bike. The first part of the swim is the worst-trying to find your arms (seriously), find some kind of rhythm, and oh yeah BREATHE!!!

Your time usually stops when you touch the final wall. Same as above, someone was calling out race numbers to someone taking the times.

Have a blast. I will do the Dog Days Triathlon again next year. It is a refreshing, different race.

2008-09-16 3:40 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
My one reverse tri didn't end until you got out of the pool and crossed a finish line. There's no one way these things are run...check with the organizers if you want precise detail.

Personally, I went out and hammered the run (like you, that's my strength), about 20 sec. off my open 5K PR--knowing that the swim was going to be pretty much nothing--and had a podium finish in my AG...but the bike was only like 10 miles, so it really is a function of how long your bike segment will be, IMO. Long ride, then, yeah, you have to hold something back on the run.

Not sure I'll ever do a reverse tri again...tends to negate run preparation a bit (esp. for those with a strong finishing kick) and--judging from the one I did and race reports from numerous others--the swims are always a bit of a hash...you almost inevitably have to move from lane to lane so it's kind of the worst of both worlds: it's a pool swim without being able to do quick turns at the same time that you don't get to build a rhythm like you would in an OWS of comparable distance.

The one sort of good thing I saw was that there's no starting scrum like in most traditional tri swim wave starts...yet I still had some a-hole literally climb over me at a lane transition.
2008-09-17 6:27 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Thanks for your replies.

Since this is such a short sprint (5k, 12mi, 400m), I think I am going to hammer it on the run, give it all I've got on the bike, and have enough to finish the swim...

The run is usually the hardest part for most, from my observations (but maybe it's b/c it's usually the last event). For me, it's the swim...

I'm going to administer a practice tri simulating those conditions on Friday and may adjust my plan afterwards.

Cheers

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run Bike Swim Approach Rss Feed