Racing Underground
46F / 8C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 14m 48s
Overall Rank = 7/33
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Was pretty much packed up the night before. Woke up at 4:30, turned off the alarm and got out of bed at 4:45. Made a smoothie and oatmeal, did a check of the weather and of BT and drove out to Aurora Res. Parked and dealt with some gastro-intestinal issues, got the body marked, set up transition, spoke about the chilly temps and commiserated with those that would be swimming as I remembered 2006.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for a 3 mile spin, watched the first wave of the swimmers go, went back into the bathrooms for "final relief" and to be in some place warmer. Ran lightly out to the starting line.
Run
  • 24m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Took this out easy, saw one guy just fly off the front. My HR shot up to top of zone 4 and just stayed there, didn't feel like I was putting in that kind of effort so I just hoped that maybe I was flying and didn't feel like it. Just over the 2 mile mark it plummeted to the bottom of zone 2, alas, I think I just didn't get a proper warm up and was selling myself short. Really just wanted to get warmed up during this run anyhow. I had hoped to go 24 flat or so but came in 20 secs over that.
What would you do differently?:

Go a little more by feel than what the HR was telling me at that point on a chilly day.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Had the fastest T1 of the dualthetes. Was smooth, but as I approached the exit encountered some Tri folks who were just "sauntering" out of transition. Just got stuck in traffic and couldn't get to the mount line as quickly as I had wanted.

If I had realized the mount line was so far out of the transition area, I would have been more aggressive in getting around the "slowpokes"

I guess I should have checked out the transition exit more closely
Bike
  • 2h 55m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't know what to say, this was 14 minutes slower than last year. Seems like the field as a whole was slower this year, but this was reeedddiiicccuuulooouuuusss.. After I got out of transition I felt like I was moving well. Was frustrated by so many people staying way left even with no-one around them. Got out on Quincy and felt like I was doing ok, It was interesting how I would get passed in "clusters", not people drafting but more as the fast people from various waves would come by. When I was on the bike, I was only passed by one duathlete that had the pass stick, as for how many went by while I was in the port-o-lets, I don't know. I realized I was moving slower than I had hoped for when I started north on Watkins Road. Was hoping that the downhill stretch there would pick it up and I would carry it through the Hwy 36 section. Didn't really seem to materialize. There was a slight headwind there again but nothing overly bothersome. Made it to the outer corner averaging 19.9 - over 2 mph slower than last year. I was frustrated by that but figured - believed - hoped I could make it up on the way back going with the wind for a change. I had to pee really bad but was just too cold to fully release the bladder on the bike. Speaking of cold, did you know that chocolate powergels are really thick in that temperature - they work much better in the 80's and 90's. Finally when I knew my bike time and my goals for overall time were out the window, I decided to stop at the port-o-let. The last 10 miles or so were basically to set me up to PR a half mary. Hit the port-potty right outside transition too (adding to the bike time and not the run time) and then just skated my bike to the dismount line.

I don't know
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

At this point I didn't care about overall time or how long I took in T2, I just wanted to try and get myself ready for the run and to be able to run as well as possible. I moved steadily to my spot. Took the time to suck down a pair of gels, got a drink, took off my long sleeve shirt, put on the shoes and hat - it was still cloudy so I didn't bother changing the glasses like I had prepared to do. I walked from my spot to the exit. Stopped to adjust my right shoe. Reset my stopwatch and started running at the transition exit. Considering all that, I still was 10 or 11 out of 33 Duathletes in T2

Care about speed, but on this day, I was happy with it.
Run
  • 1h 52m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I got started at the pace I had hoped to be able to hold for the whole race, that lasted all of about 2 miles. I slowed progressively and settled into my LSD training pace. Funny how that seems to happen, I just fall into what I have been doing. Didn't have an aid station strategy for this, I was going to use as I felt I needed. I walked every aid station I used, normally about 10-20 secs worth, but I did have a long one at mile 8 as I grabbed something to drink and some animal crackers. I started doing Coke at mile 7 and did coke and water every mile after that. At the 10 mile mark I picked up the effort level on the hills back in to the finish. Got my splits back down to the 8:30's. Knew I would PR, just not as strong/solid as I had wanted. Maybe I need to run a stand alone Half Mary again and just put it out of reach in a multi sport event. Got to the finish and two blond girls were standing at the ropes, as I went by, they ducked under the ropes and ran with me through the finish. The man at the finish gave my medal to my older girl - that was priceless. After a bit she shared it with the younger girl.

Again, I don't know. It is what I had today.
Post race
Warm down:

Are you kidding, after I found the rest of my family, I froze while I had one girl and mom took the rest of the family to the potty and diaper changes. I had no desire to jump in the lake for a ice down of the legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Let's see, where do I start, a household all fighting off viruses etc the week leading up to the race. Running on 1000mg + of Ibuprofen a day . Playing volleyball on Thursday night when I only played 2 or 3 times all summer and hadn't played since the first of August. Waking up early Sunday morning and thinking I am fighting off conjunctivitis. Missing my planned pre-race nutrition. Gaining 5 lbs during taper week. Not having a good nutrition/hydration plan for cold weather. Being unfocused for much of the year.
All excuses. I should have executed better anyway.

Event comments:

I enjoy Harvest Moon and all the racing underground events I have done.
Even if it doesn't hit the race calender next year, I would love to go out and volunteer.

Last updated: 2008-08-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:20 | 03.11 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 11/33
Performance: Average
Course: A one loop course out paved bike path before then some crushed stone and paved path alternating.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
02:55:22 | 56 miles | 19.16 mile/hr
Overall: 11/33
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills, out and back spur on Quincy then up to watkins, east on Hwy 36 to Bennett, south on Kiowa Bennett road back to Quincy and then west to Aurora Reservoir
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:52:12 | 13.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 8/33
Performance: Average
7:59 - 8:07 - 8:16 - 8:36 - 8:31 - 8:51 - 8:39 - 8:37 - 8:55 - 8:44 - 8:28 - 8:32 - 9:49 (1.1)
Course: Concrete bike path, crushed gravel path out around the reservoir and out on the dam.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 8:44 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: Harvest Moon Long Course Duathlon

2008-09-16 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1676132

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon Long Course Duathlon
sounds like you had a few obstacles heading into this race.  Sounds to me you dealt with them all pretty well and ran a solid race...nice job!  Congrats on the 1/2 marathon PR!
2008-09-16 11:21 AM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO

Nice job Scott!  You gotta play with the cards dealt and you did that very well!!

I agree, I like the Racing Underground events.  Hope to do lots more.

See ya at the Chatfield 10 miler, if not sooner!

edited when I realized Chatfield race isn't til Nov. -- see ya at Lair of the Bear next month instead, if not sooner!

Edited by skarl 2008-09-16 11:35 AM
2008-09-19 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Sorry to hear that you missed your goals.  But, having the household (including yourself) come down with a virus the week before and still setting a half mary PR is pretty impressive.
2008-09-19 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Great job Scott!  I especially like the fact that you PR'd the run, despite all of the trials leading up to it.  Great job staying focused and showing that mental toughness!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Duathlon Rss Feed