General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two a Days. Is this enough rest Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-16 7:19 PM

Regular
Miami, Florida
Subject: Two a Days. Is this enough rest
OK, i am back in the tri world with a vengeance. Finally finished school (Exercise Physiology) last semester. And with a new business, i have a broken up yet perfect it seems schedule. Here is a typical "planned day" for me.

This is Tuesday and Thursday
5:00 Run
6:30 Eat
8:30 First client
10:45 - 11:45 Swim
12:15 to 1:15 Next client
1:45 to 2:30 I can take a nap for 45 minutes
Then the rest of my day is work.

W and F is biking in the morning, and maybe a weight workout at the same time.

My two concerns are the times between workout, and the fact that i run exercise and conditioning programs for children with special needs so i am on my feet, and running around in all these sessions. Yet, i can take a 45 minute nap everyday no problem. I rather do this than back to back workouts. Plus, this gets me home for the kids and wife who is working and going to school full time (Masters) at night.

Any comments or suggestions?

2008-09-16 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1678517

Expert
Subject: RE: Two a Days. Is this enough rest
can you just fall asleep for a nap whenever you want???

you lucky lucky man!
2008-09-16 7:50 PM

User image

Master

you need more clients!  More clients = nicer tri bike!

just kidding, I actually got that degree...in a different world now (medical device sales).  

2 (or 3) adays is not impossible.  In college i did that for all 4 years.  I would wake and do a very strenous workout (run, PT) then I would swim a mile at lunch, then after work sometimes I would hit up some rope climbs before  studying and turning in.  So running and then swimming later shouldnt be an issue. It is two seperate workouts though and does not replace a good brick.  So still get some of those in on the weekend.  The running around with kids is something you will have to watch.  I know I always had a tendency to work out with my clients/class.  That is not needed to be a good instructor, so just take it easy with that.

As far as napping...I used to be the king of the combat nap (22 minutes was my best...7 min to fall asleep then 15 nap).  Great energizer.  I rarely do it now but on those days when you are dragging it beats a smoke break any day.

2008-09-16 8:02 PM

Regular
Miami, Florida
Yeah, i work with kids ranging from 2 to 9 years old. When i am working out of my facility, it is easier to keep things under control though i am always on my feet. I run a PE program as a school for children with special needs, and though i have their whole staff supporting me, the only one that seems to engage the kids is me. Many don't have any language, but boy do they understand running and having fun.

On the weekends i do a swim/run brick and or long bike/run brick. I only work 23 hours a week, but it is scattered around, so it feels like all day.

2008-09-17 1:15 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Physically it is not a problem doing two workouts a day.  The problem is fitting them into a busy work schedule, although you seem to have this covered.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two a Days. Is this enough rest Rss Feed