General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri ever Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-17 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: First tri ever
New runner, new swimmer here. Brand new, as in still taking lessons but finally managed to swim the length of the pool without choking on water.

Haven't been on a bike in years, until a few weeks ago. Riding an old 10-speed I dug out of storage. Now if I can just figure out how to get the bike in gear, I'll be all set.

Doing my first sprint in a month. All women. Beginner friendly. Pool swim. 5 ft pool. Yay!!! 9 mile hilly ride. My goal is to stay on and not walk my bike at any point. I'm chipping away. Riding on the actual course. So far, so good. Two big hills. I got through the first one yesterday. It wasn't easy, but not impossible either. I'm not as out of shape as I had feared. 2 mile run. Should be fun!!

I am just finding my way around the BT boards. Is there a special place where newbies gather or do I just jump in like this? The latter is fine with me. I've never been a shy one.

My friends are all coming out to watch and to make sure the race director doesn't forget there's still someone out there and close down the course before I finish.

This should be the adventure of a lifetime. 31 days to go!!!!

2008-09-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1679347

User image

Kayak Point, WA
Subject: RE: First tri ever

Welcome to BT.  I am new here also and you are in the right place.  However, I recommend you look around the boards and find all of the "Start for beginers" videos, and articles many of them are well worth reading!!

Sounds like you have an excellent goal going into this event.  Enjoy yourself and just try to complete each event with a smile on your face.

Practicing on the course will help you feel more comfortable also.  I assume that all your gears/brakes etc all work ok?  If not make sure you have your LBS tune it up ASAP so that you don't have any additional issues during the race.

Good luck and enjoy,

Michael

Edited by 2xtreme 2008-09-17 10:57 AM
2008-09-17 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Welcome. I know the race you're doing. It was my very first tri ever last year and I'll be there again this year.  It is the perfect first race.  You'll do great.  It is a wonderfully supportive atmosphere and lots of fun. 

As far as BT goes, I second the previous comment about the training videos and articles, they help tremendously.  Also, I would recommend joining one of the Mentor groups.  They are a great source of encouragement, friendship, and people training just like you. 

I'll be sporting my BT tatoo on race day in October so be sure to give a shout if I see you. There are several BTers doing that race so we should meet up.  Good times!  And welcome!

2008-09-17 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1679712

User image

Veteran
tahrens - 2008-09-17 12:09 PM

Welcome. I know the race you're doing. It was my very first tri ever last year and I'll be there again this year.  It is the perfect first race.  You'll do great.  It is a wonderfully supportive atmosphere and lots of fun. 

As far as BT goes, I second the previous comment about the training videos and articles, they help tremendously.  Also, I would recommend joining one of the Mentor groups.  They are a great source of encouragement, friendship, and people training just like you. 

I'll be sporting my BT tatoo on race day in October so be sure to give a shout if I see you. There are several BTers doing that race so we should meet up.  Good times!  And welcome!

Cool!!! I'll be in the back. Way in the back. Like last one in the pool and the last to cross finish.

If any of you hang around til the end, I'd looooove to meet up. Is there a roll call thread for the race?

Edited by WhenAllElseFails 2008-09-17 12:03 PM
2008-09-17 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
The easiest way to communicate with the BT people signed up to race is through the link you already have set in your list of races.  Be on the lookout on your log page under the Ramblin Rose, I send out a message to everyone that is listed to race. It will appear as a new message under the race and it will be our own private little Ramblin Rose thread.  Talk to you in a bit.
2008-09-17 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow! There are a lot of features to this site that I was completely unaware of. Guess I need to tinker around in here a little to find my way around.

Really, really, really looking forward to getting to know all of you better. Thanks for the warm reception. I feel right at home already.

2008-09-17 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow! There's so much stuff in the START section alone! This is an incredible site. Thank you for everyone who suggested I start there. Incredible!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri ever Rss Feed