General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting to Tri Bike - Crotch Hurts, Any suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-18 8:29 AM

New user

Subject: Adjusting to Tri Bike - Crotch Hurts, Any suggestions?

This summer I began participating in triathlons, however I have been riding on a mountain bike until this week when I took the plung and bought a tribike. My crotch is so soar! Is this normal? ARe they any suggestions how I can ease this when riding and after and are there any good bottoms suggestions to where to help this out? FYI - I am a woman.

Thanks in advance!

2008-09-18 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1681740

User image

Motor City USA
Subject: RE: Adjusting to Tri Bike - Crotch Hurts, Any suggestions?
Well, I'm a dude, but you may want to try another saddle. I understand alot of people like that Adamo.

I also turn my saddle a bit to one side. Everybody is different, just remember to make small changes.
2008-09-18 10:06 AM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Yes, some saddle soreness is not unusual in the beginning.

Prior to getting your new bike, how much cycling have you been used to doing in any given week? Putting in time in the saddle and miles under your tires will acclimate your bottom and your sit bones, and making changes in your position or equipment before giving yourself enough time to acclimate would be a mistake.

Make sure you're wearing appropriate cycling shorts; the padding will help. Make sure you're commando - seams from undies will chafe.

Have you been properly fit to the bike? This should be your priority. If you have, then during the next few weeks, make small, incrremental changes to your saddle (nose level or up a few degrees, and to the side a few degrees) may help.

If none of this helps, then shopping for a new saddle may be in order.

2008-09-18 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
try another saddle. I use the fizik arione but everyone is different. Your LBS should allow you to sit on one in the store
2008-09-19 9:03 AM
in reply to: #1682432

User image

Master
Before you start changing the saddle make sure the bike was fitted properly. Depending on where you bought the bike and how well they know how to fit bikes, you may want to take the bike to another shop and get a "second opinion" on the fit.

2008-09-19 9:13 AM

User image

Ride it for a couple weeks before you do much of anything. Yes, it's going to get uncomfortable to hurting for a bit but that does go away with Time In The Saddle.

(last acronym got caught by the dirty word filter)

Edited by DanielG 2008-09-19 9:14 AM

2008-09-19 11:18 AM

User image

Champion
MA

How did they fit your bike to you?

Read this ..it will help.

In aero as women stuff can get smooshed and not be comfortable. Saddles with cut outs can fix that problem if that is the problem you are having.

I have a great saddle that fixes the smooshing issue if you find that continues. Try the ideas in the article first.

Happy Riding!!

2008-09-26 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
What used to be the country, PA
I would try tipping the saddle slightly forward; helps me when the boyz start to hurt.
2008-09-27 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Before you go out there buying and changing saddles, you need answer to yourself a few questions.
Did you get the fit done at your LBS?
It takes some tweaking to get everything dialed in, so multiple trips back to your fitter are common.
How about your cycling shorts? Are they quality, fit well, good chamois?
Are you using chamois butter? It will reduce friction, not soreness, but will make it more comfortable overall.
Recheck saddle height, check and experiment with saddle pitch. Too high of a saddle height may produce discomfort.
It takes some riding on a saddle to see wether it fits or not. Usually suggested about 500mi. Are you cycling fit? Your sit area will need some conditioning too.
I see someone already suggested Adamo saddle as the ultimate cure for every saddle discomfort. I disagree. It has worked for many, but not all. You will be trading a pressure in one area for a pressure in another.
I suggest you give your saddle a chance providing you are fit to your bike properly, you have done everything in conventional wisdom handbook about comfort and still no luck, than I would start looking at other saddles.
Just my 2 cents.
2008-09-27 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1700598

Champion
South Jersey

The saddles that generally come with tri bikes tend to be uncomfortable for women. I would definitely suggest getting a bike fit. But, some people have suggested to ride with it for a while and see if it gets better -- depending on the level of pain, i would not suggest that. When I made the switch from road bike to tri bike, within in the first 30 seconds of riding, I was in so much pain, I knew that seat would not work for me. Seriously. I had the shop switch out the seat on the tri bike with what I had on my road bike --- instantly the pain went away. I did this before we even really started working on fit -- there's no way I could have sat on that thing for another second. There's discomfort and then there's pain -- if it's pain, don't try to ride it out. I don't think boys understand how much this hurts and how much damage it can cause.

You have to be your own judge of just how painful this is.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting to Tri Bike - Crotch Hurts, Any suggestions? Rss Feed