General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Accident - Assessing the Damages Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-22 12:50 PM

User image

Subject: Bike Accident - Assessing the Damages

Well, Yesterday  I went out to try a new out-and-back route on a fast/flat road. It was just a short ride, since I didn't have a lot of time (about 17 mi.).

On my way back to where I parked my car, about mile 9, I decided to get my speed back up, put my head down, and before I now it, BOOM!!!! I am on the curb, trying to get back on the road, started to fall towads the road, then I was able to throw the bike back towads the curb, and obvously, I hit the ground !!!!

It was totally unexpected, and stupid of my part to do this, but I did.

I seems like I absorbed most of the shock with my body, I always try to protect the bike if I think I'm going to fall.  I would rather get some extra road rashes then the bike get any scretches !!!  The right side of my body has a few road rashes (ankle, side of the butt, forear and shoulder) and I also have a pretty sore shoulder !!! I'm glad I was fine and able to finish up by riding back to the car. I just couldn't be on the aero position, since it would hurt.

The bike did get a small scretch on the top tube from the handlebar hitting that spot and, some screteches on the front wheel's screw.  That was about it, that I could see.

Since the bike is a carbon bike, How would one assess the damages on the bike ??? I have looked but it only seems like I have put a small scratch, but who knows !!! I was probably doing about 20mph when I hit the pavement, and as I said I think I absorbed most of the shock.  Nonetheless I'm still worried that I "cracked" or "hurt" the bike in anyway!!!

Let me know if someone has ever cracked a carbon frame on a crash and how bad it was.

2008-09-22 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1688469

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Subject: RE: Bike Accident - Assessing the Damages
I had a similar problem with carbon bike, rode it home and took it to lbs. Bike shop found small fracture in frame I would never have seen. New frame for me. I would take to shop, tell them what happened and let them check it out. Jim
2008-09-22 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
I had a similar problem with carbon bike, rode it home and took it to lbs. Bike shop found small fracture in frame I would never have seen. New frame for me. I would take to shop, tell them what happened and let them check it out. Jim
2008-09-22 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
That's the only problem with carbon bikes - a small fracture can go unnoticed to the untrained eye and then develop into something major.  So, take it to your LBS to get it checked out.
2008-09-22 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
TriTom86 - 2008-09-22 12:50 PM
I always try to protect the bike if I think I'm going to fall. I would rather get some extra road rashes then the bike get any scretches !!!

Really? I abandon ship if I think we're going down and there is nothing I can do. I'd much rather save skin, and what's left of my shoulders then save a hunk of metal/carbon fiber/epoxy.

To each their own I guess.

Anyway, take it to the shop to make sure there are no cracks and the your derailleur hanger isn't tweaked.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Accident - Assessing the Damages Rss Feed