Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2013-08-06 8:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Any REAL football fans here?

Originally posted by zed707 Any thoughts on the Dempsey trade to Seattle? As a Sounders fan I'm stoked, but not sure if it was the right move for him. The money must be right, but to leave the EPL at the prime of his career, I don't know. Kasey Keller even said publicly that he wasn't sure.

I've been following it since it was first announced.  And I'm wondering if he had a frank discussion with AVB about the amount of playing time he would have at Spurs.  We are moving into a WC year and he really needs to have as much playing time as possible.  And if there was the slightest hint that he would not be starting on a regular basis, he would be concerned.

I AM disappointed about his move away from EPL but I've also heard that there is some home sickness not only for him but for his kids which sounds like one of the really big driving factors.

I'm disappointed.  But he is 30.  It will only get more difficult for him abroad. 

Edited by crowny2 2013-08-06 8:31 AM

2013-08-06 8:47 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Poor decision I think. He would be better served to have moved to another EPL team for a couple of years or into a European league ( Ligue 1 or maybe the Erivisidie). It sounds like the money he was offered by Seattle was just too good. With a World Cup within sight it would be better for him to be playing at a better level week in week out than in the MLS ( no offense to MLS)

That leaves Bradley and Altidore overseas correct? Personally I think Bradley is the second best US player to play overseas behind McBride...if you watched the all-stars vs Roma it was apparent he has got much better and is turning into a class player
2013-08-06 8:55 AM
in reply to: Bcozican

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican Poor decision I think. He would be better served to have moved to another EPL team for a couple of years or into a European league ( Ligue 1 or maybe the Erivisidie). It sounds like the money he was offered by Seattle was just too good. With a World Cup within sight it would be better for him to be playing at a better level week in week out than in the MLS ( no offense to MLS) That leaves Bradley and Altidore overseas correct? Personally I think Bradley is the second best US player to play overseas behind McBride...if you watched the all-stars vs Roma it was apparent he has got much better and is turning into a class player

Bradley impressed me last year when I went to see the Liverpool v AS Roma match in Boston.  He just continues to impress.  He will be a force to be dealt with in the middle next year in the WC.

I agree it had to be a mix of money and moving back to the states for his kids with Dempsey.  And I agree he should have been able to stay in Europe and get higher quality play. 

2013-08-06 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Donovan was the biggest disappointment for me - he has the pace/talent to play in Europe and be an impact player -yet he stays in the US in his comfort zone. He chooses quality of life over ambition which I totally understand - to each his own. However, I'd like to see more players stick it out over in Europe or even try South America etc - the US needs more players to crack the top level to really ascend the ranks of world football.

Outside of US GK's, who seem to have long successful stints in Europe, most players disappear and then come back after only a few seasons of irregular first team football. Maybe its the home sickness effect or just a cultural thing....dont know...someone needs to crack the code.

- On the Bradley topic - he needs a midfield partner who compliments his game and is at the same level - otherwise teams can sit on him and nullify his impact on the game....not sure who that is but I was impressed with the one center half who was moved up in the WC qualifiers...Johnson maybe?
2013-08-06 9:36 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican Donovan was the biggest disappointment for me - he has the pace/talent to play in Europe and be an impact player -yet he stays in the US in his comfort zone. He chooses quality of life over ambition which I totally understand - to each his own. However, I'd like to see more players stick it out over in Europe or even try South America etc - the US needs more players to crack the top level to really ascend the ranks of world football. Outside of US GK's, who seem to have long successful stints in Europe, most players disappear and then come back after only a few seasons of irregular first team football. Maybe its the home sickness effect or just a cultural thing....dont know...someone needs to crack the code. - On the Bradley topic - he needs a midfield partner who compliments his game and is at the same level - otherwise teams can sit on him and nullify his impact on the game....not sure who that is but I was impressed with the one center half who was moved up in the WC qualifiers...Johnson maybe?

Agreed.  I'm hoping Bradley and Jozy are a trend of others that will make an impact abroad, whether it is accross the pond or accross the border in Mexico. 

And I agree too about Donovan.  Look at the impact he had at Everton just the short two, two month loans he was there.  Although I think for him it was his abject failure earlier in his carrer in Europe probably weighed on his mind when he went back and his decision to stay in MLS. 

Finally, I think you are dead on with Johnson.  His pace and strength are a nice compliment for Bradley.

2013-08-08 9:44 AM

User image

Champion

Anyone see the ref-cam during the MLS all star game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8g6rAmHtAk

2013-08-09 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
EPL on NBC - probably a hat full of other of other leagues on Fox Soccer channel and BEIN sports also - a gluttony of Soccer coverage....never thought I'd see the day!

Premier League Matches, First 3 Months, By Outlet
NBC Sports Network

NBC

CNBC

Telemundo/mun2

NBC Sports Live Extra

Premier League Extra Time

2013-08-13 12:10 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican EPL on NBC - probably a hat full of other of other leagues on Fox Soccer channel and BEIN sports also - a gluttony of Soccer coverage....never thought I'd see the day! Premier League Matches, First 3 Months, By Outlet NBC Sports Network 57 NBC 10 CNBC 2 Telemundo/mun2 27 NBC Sports Live Extra 130 Premier League Extra Time 61

Ain't it grand?!?!?!

I'm excited.

2013-08-18 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1689143

User image

Champion
And the season has started!
2013-08-27 9:53 AM

User image

Champion

And 'Pool is in 2nd!!!!

Yes, I know that will not last very long.  I'm enjoying it while it does.  Whoopeeeeee!!!!

2013-09-03 10:53 AM

User image

Champion

The transfer window is not closed.  Interesting year.

Bale to RM for a small fortune.

Fellani to ManUre but that really is their only significant trade.

Even though Tottenham lost Bale, they appear to have picked up some good talent.  Well, that was until they lost yesterday. 

Did Arsne actually buy anyone?  Well, anyone worth mentioning?

City actually looks like they may be ok.  MAY be.  Depends on if their signings actually pay off. Only time will tell.

'Pool was quite active.  Aspas and Coutinho appear to have been brilliant signings.  Still wish they would have gotten rid of Suarez, but I understand why they didn't.

What about you guys?  Any trades catch your eye?

2013-09-03 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Ozil to Arsenal would be a major one not mentioned - maybe the best deal they did was getting Flamini back...still didnt address their central defensive issues but they may now be a legit top 3 team.

ManU seem to be in decline which makes me smile - Moyes is Scottish so notoriously tight with money - getting Fellaini for more than they offered for Fellani and Baines is just stupid.

Bale to Madrid is weird - not sure Ronaldo will like being the second highest paid player there - he'll pout until they up his money i suspect...

Your Pool are on a wave of euphoria....somewhat false IMHO...since mignolet saved your bacon in the other two games....

I like Chelsea to win it all - even though I despise Moaninho

Someone should have freed Mata...he's a good player and wont see alot of time with them I bet
2013-09-04 10:39 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican Ozil to Arsenal would be a major one not mentioned - maybe the best deal they did was getting Flamini back...still didnt address their central defensive issues but they may now be a legit top 3 team. ManU seem to be in decline which makes me smile - Moyes is Scottish so notoriously tight with money - getting Fellaini for more than they offered for Fellani and Baines is just stupid. Bale to Madrid is weird - not sure Ronaldo will like being the second highest paid player there - he'll pout until they up his money i suspect... Your Pool are on a wave of euphoria....somewhat false IMHO...since mignolet saved your bacon in the other two games.... I like Chelsea to win it all - even though I despise Moaninho Someone should have freed Mata...he's a good player and wont see alot of time with them I bet

Completely mised Ozil. 

And yes, Mata is in trouble.  Maybe he will get loaned out?

And Pool will NOT be in the top 4 for much longer. 

2013-09-09 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
USMNT - that didnt go well.....Horrific defensively, Beasley experiment needs to be closed down - bessler was awful - I thought Johnson #23 was awful and our good friend Dempsey was absent most of the game....it showed how much Bradley means to the team and how the MNT lacks any creative player in the midfield. Too many negative passes back and sideways when a simple turn would have created more options....

Now onto MX who will be motivated to show their new coach they should be playing

Off topic - this message board has become pretty stale - I used to come in a lot but seems the same old folks are retreading the same topics...shame since is was a lively place for a while
2013-09-10 9:34 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican USMNT - that didnt go well.....Horrific defensively, Beasley experiment needs to be closed down - bessler was awful - I thought Johnson #23 was awful and our good friend Dempsey was absent most of the game....it showed how much Bradley means to the team and how the MNT lacks any creative player in the midfield. Too many negative passes back and sideways when a simple turn would have created more options.... Now onto MX who will be motivated to show their new coach they should be playing Off topic - this message board has become pretty stale - I used to come in a lot but seems the same old folks are retreading the same topics...shame since is was a lively place for a while

That match was pathetic.  And up to the last two, I thought Beasley was doing fairly well.  In my mind he had redeamed himself compared to how he was playing a few years ago.  But that all fell apart against Costa Rica. 

I don't know what to say about Bessler.  Supposedly the fastest man on the pitch and couldn't do squat.  I will say, though, that the yellow he got was laughable.  The AR should be ashamed of himself for that one.  But whatcha gonna do.

We are definitely up a creek tonight.  Missing way too many folks.  Bradley.  Bessler.  Jozy.  I'd be happy for 1 point.

Agreed with your last statement.

2013-09-10 8:57 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican USMNT - that didnt go well.....Horrific defensively, Beasley experiment needs to be closed down - bessler was awful - I thought Johnson #23 was awful and our good friend Dempsey was absent most of the game....it showed how much Bradley means to the team and how the MNT lacks any creative player in the midfield. Too many negative passes back and sideways when a simple turn would have created more options.... Now onto MX who will be motivated to show their new coach they should be playing Off topic - this message board has become pretty stale - I used to come in a lot but seems the same old folks are retreading the same topics...shame since is was a lively place for a while

Or not.

2013-09-10 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Yep - deep trouble for Los Amigos....if you cannot make top 4 in this group you should stop playing the game
2013-09-11 8:50 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican Yep - deep trouble for Los Amigos....if you cannot make top 4 in this group you should stop playing the game

El Tri is in a wicked tailspin.  There is a significant chance they will not be going to the WC. 

2013-09-23 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
Not surprised that Di Cano is gone.  Talk about a nut job.
2013-09-23 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
He has his own style - a disciplinarian from what I have read - be where you need to be and be on time, do as you are requested and all is good. Seems some of the presumptuous prima donna EPL players couldnt take that..trying to turn 14 new players into a team takes time...which is a luxury you are not given in the premier league...win or go home for managers...

Good to see Manure embarassed - your team looked lost..and subsequently did...
2013-09-24 9:16 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican He has his own style - a disciplinarian from what I have read - be where you need to be and be on time, do as you are requested and all is good. Seems some of the presumptuous prima donna EPL players couldnt take that..trying to turn 14 new players into a team takes time...which is a luxury you are not given in the premier league...win or go home for managers... Good to see Manure embarassed - your team looked lost..and subsequently did...

Agreed he is a throwback but not in a good way.  He also wasn't making any friends in the fan base or media.

My boys looked lost because they lost another creative force up front in Coutinho.  He is out with shoulder surgery for 6+ weeks after the last match.  That leaves only Sturridge up top.  He needs help.  We really didn't have good possession the whole match.  And for that we payed the price.

Agreed on ManUre.  Moyes may not make it out of this season if it continues this way.  Which is a shame.  Always liked him as a coach.  I just think the shoes he has to fill are too big.  Possibly for anyone.

As an aside, I also don't think Martin Jol will be around at the end of the season.  Heck, if things continue at Fulham, he might not be around at Christmas. 

2013-10-12 3:21 PM

Los Angeles
(Just replying to the last post)

My country for the first time in a long time is struggling to qualify for the world cup. Last night we beat Panama at the Azteca Stadium. But I just wanted to share this master piece. The second gol is realy a master pice that any football fan can appreciate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LPh2nPfUZXc
2013-10-15 9:44 AM
in reply to: Maui

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Maui (Just replying to the last post) My country for the first time in a long time is struggling to qualify for the world cup. Last night we beat Panama at the Azteca Stadium. But I just wanted to share this master piece. The second gol is realy a master pice that any football fan can appreciate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LPh2nPfU...

It was a beautiful strike.  And the build up led me to believe they were going to score anyway.  Didn't see that one coming, though.  Wow.  Just..... wow. 

2013-10-16 8:30 AM

User image

Champion

El Tri should be sending the the US team some big time thank you's for getting them at least into a playoff with NZ. 

And I now how Panama feels.  Just like when the US men were eliminated from the Olympics by Costa Rica in the 92nd minute.  It is gut wrenching.

2013-10-23 8:41 AM

User image

Champion

SAF's biography is out and causing some interesting waves.  He's really slamming past players who performed well for him. 

Implications that Beckham had to go because he was "bigger than the manager".  Uh-huh.

And no surprise on his comments about Shrek or RVP. 

And definitely no surprise about his comments on Keene's temper.  Saw an interesting interview with Keene not long after it came out.  He made an interesting comment questioning whether SAF really understands the word "loyalty".  HA!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  

of 74