General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Orlando training info... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-26 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Subject: Need Orlando training info...

Hi everyone !

I'll be in Orlando for a conference oct. 28 through nov. 1st. I have a free friday afternoon and would like to rent a road bike and possibly have a couple swim trainings. Here are my questions :

- Are there any good rides in Orlando, about 40 to 70miles, starting from or around the area of Conference Center on Int'l Dr (9800, International Drive) ?

- What bike shop in the vicinity of the conf. Center would be the best place to rent a road bike ?

- Any outdoor lap swimming pool in the area ? 

Thanks in advance,

Christian. 

2008-09-26 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1700223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tinton Falls, NJ
Subject: RE: Need Orlando training info...
Christian,

I've been in that same area on business & have gotten in some runs & good outdoor swims at the Orlando Y's (sorry can't help you w/ the rides).

I also just got sent a link about this place:

http://www.luckyslakeswim.com/index.htm

Which I'll definitely check out next time I'm in the area. This is the link to the news vid:

http://www.growingbolder.com/media/sports/water-sports/luckys-lake-... (worth a look!).
2008-09-27 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Definitely go to Lucky's...it's the best! (and my sister is in that video) Where else can you get a measured OWS with other athletes and a shower and hot tub after? Often triathletes will bring their bikes and ride after the Saturday swim. Peabody has a nice pool on Idrive, not sure if they are strict about it. The YMCA Aquatic Center is right on Idrive by the convention center, for indoors, it has 50m pool, and I think they sell day passes.

As for riding, if you have a car or can at least get the bike on a bus bike rack and get the heck away from Idrive/convention center, that would be best. I don't even like to drive my car over there. If you head about 10 minutes (driving) north west of there, you will be in Windermere and can hook up with the Windermere Roadies and head out towards the hills of Clermont.
Windermereroadies.com. They are pretty intense, but their website also has links to local bike shops and other rides.

There really aren't any good shops for renting bikes near there, but maybe one of the shops would bring you one. :-)

Have fun! I'll be out of town, or would offer to bring a bike to you!
2008-09-27 7:50 PM

User image

Never done the lake swim, because I work on sat. mornings. But I have never heard a single negative comment, everyone seems to enjoy it. I swim at the YMCA on I-drive, and they have daily passes for $10, I think the peabody is in fact pretty strict with their pool. If you are a member of a Y in a different state I think you can use the one here without any charge for 7 days (maybe more). They have 3 pools, one is usually set up 50m, it is indoor, but they have the ceiling/roof that opens up.

I don't know of any bike shops that rent bikes here in orlando,and I don't think there are any stores close to the area you are staying at.  Plus you definetly don't want to ride near I drive, the Windermere Roadies are very aggresive and a bit skeptical of new riders, to say the least.  But they know the roads and the safe areas.  Chek their website, they also have maps of the rides and stuff.

Enjoy the city, and have fun with your training !!!

2008-09-27 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City

Thanks alot for the infos and link ! I'll definitely try to have a swim at Lucky Lake. As for windermere roadies, I am very curious about their "agressivity" ! I'll look up for infos on the website and contact them for further infos and a possible group ride...

Thanks !

Christian. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Orlando training info... Rss Feed