General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike...HELP! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-27 6:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Subject: First bike...HELP!

So I'm looking to get my first bike and have been shopping around on-line, reading reviews, checking out these threads, etc.  At this point I'm looking at one of two things:

1) a nice bike shop a block away, owned by my aunts family, with a decent selection...two bikes caught my eye: a Scott CR1 Team  was listed on clearance at $1849; and a Giant Trinity A1 that was listed at $1899...that, however, was the only tri bike in my price range in the entire store.  They had mostly road bikes, and the saleswoman suggested that as a new rider I should go the road bike route.  The benefit to going with this store is...well, it's a family friend.  I'm not sure how far that goes, but the saleswoman--who apparently lives right next to my aunt and uncle--said that I should mention them when I come in for a fitting. 

2) head down to another shop that's selling a Specialized Transition Elite ('07 model) for just over $1,000; or for $1849 (same as the Scott road bike)  I could get a Cervelo P2 SL. 

In the end only I know whether I truly want to go the tri bike route or not, and whether my wallet can handle the extra $800 hit.  However, my question for everyone here: 1) as a new rider and someone who hasn't done a triathlon before, would I be better off going the road bike route? and 2) all things equal, what do you think of the general deals I listed and the bikes themselves? 

Thanks for any and all help...I'm hopefully making the plunge in the next few weeks and don't want to regret what I end up purchasing.

Edited by Brownie28 2008-09-27 6:58 PM

2008-09-27 7:27 PM
in reply to: #1701142

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: First bike...HELP!
Brownie28 - 2008-09-27 6:44 PM

1) as a new rider and someone who hasn't done a triathlon before, would I be better off going the road bike route? and

2) all things equal, what do you think of the general deals I listed and the bikes themselves? 

A road bike is going to be more versatile.  But....if you plan to stick with triathlon for many years and feel that a triathlon specific bike will pay off, then go for the tri bike.  If it were me and I was new to the sport I would go with the bike that is the most comfortable, which most likely will be the Road bike.  The most important thing is fit, so go with the bike that fits the best.

Without doing any research of my own I would say that all of the bikes appear to be a fair price.  $1000+ for the 07' Specialized isn't a screamin' deal since it's two years old.  You may get an even better deal as winter grows closer.

As far as WHO to buy from.....Chose the store the treats you best and is most knowledgeable.  You're going build a relationship with the shop over the years with service appoints, etc....so chose the shop that best fits your needs.

Good luck!

2008-09-27 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1701142

Veteran
Subject: RE: First bike...HELP!

If your going to be riding in sprint and international triathlons stick with a road bike, I wish I had a road bike when i do group rides of 25 miles.  I cant get in aero position and a road bike would make drafting much easier.  If you want to do half ironman  and or ironman then go with a triathlon bike.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike...HELP! Rss Feed