General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm converting clipless. Need feedback/advice pls Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-28 1:56 PM

Subject: I'm converting clipless. Need feedback/advice pls
I recently bought a mountain bike shoes for my road riding. I thought I should go to the MTB route since I would like to have "walkable" shoes. It is Answer Impact Mountain Bike Cycling Shoes; SPD Compatible. I was wondering if Shimano SPD pedals and cleats are the only clipless that I can buy. Are there other options? I was looking into Crank Bro Quattro SL because of its double-sided capability, but wasn't sure if its compatible. But since I'm a newbie about clipless, what options or advice could you give pls?

2008-09-28 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1701773

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: RE: I'm converting clipless. Need feedback/advice pls
I'm pretty sure the Crank Brothers pedals use a 2-hole cleat, which should be compatible with your mtn bike shoes.
2008-09-28 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

x2

Any 2-bolt pattern pedal will work.  You may have to trim some of the shoe's sole material away if you decide to use a pure 'road' pedal (the lower pedal height coupled with the aggressive tread pattern on the sole makes engaging the cleat to the pedal more difficult).

p.s.  when learning to use your pedals you WILL fall down, usually in front of your closet friends and/or complete strangers.  You'll laugh.  We've ALL been there.   Stick with it!

2008-09-28 8:26 PM

Another option would be to get clipless pedals that are spd on one side and just regular platform on the other to help you get used to using clipless pedals. They can be found at performancebike.com. Also if you have a trainer you could put your bike on it and practice clipping in and unclipping on it. You can also practice clipping in and unclipping on the grass so when you fall it doesn't hurt so much.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm converting clipless. Need feedback/advice pls Rss Feed