General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero position help needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-30 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: Aero position help needed
Awhile back I bought a set of Profile GT Jammers off of another BT member. Had my hubby install them on my Trek 2100 and have been slowly getting acquainted with riding in the aero position on my road bike. I had a good bike-fitting done PRIOR to putting the aerobars on. Now...I admit, my hubby and I just sort of "winged it" with the aerobar install...so not entirely sure if we did it correctly. One problem we had, right off the bat was the cables getting in the way. This limited us in the way of positioning the Jammers on the handlebars. To me...they feel a tad bit too close to each other...in other words, I feel I would be more comfortable if my forearms had about a 1/2 inch more space in between them. Is there a way to position the bars further apart without doing damage to the cables?

The other problem is...when I'm down on the aerobars, I can feel the very tops of my thighs making contact with my ribcage. I've read somewhere that contact between the thighs and upperbody in the aero position is bad form. What do I need to do, adjustment-wise, to correct this? Seat more forward?

Keep in mind, that I basically only drop down into the aero position on long, straight stretches (mostly flat, but with some hills). The majority of my rides are between 60-80 miles...if that matters.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by nscrbug 2008-09-30 7:46 PM

2008-09-30 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1707520

Veteran
CA
Subject: RE: Aero position help needed
If your legs are coming that close to your ribs, you're constricting your breathing, and yes, you can solve this by moving your seat forward more if you have the ability to do so. Raising the aerobar armrests is another solution if you have the ability to do so as well.  If those don't do the trick, I wouldn't know what else to do. Lowering the saddle could do the trick as well, but since that's important to proper extension and all, I wouldn't do that until you've exhausted the other two options.
2008-09-30 10:23 PM
in reply to: #1707520

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: RE: Aero position help needed

The armrests have 2 or 3 lateral positions, you can move them further apart. 

Might also help to rotate the bars so that the tips come upward, and a bit further away from each other--that would move your hands outward a bit, and I find them more comfortable with the bar ends a little more vertical--keeps my hands more vertical and less stress on my wrists.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero position help needed Rss Feed