General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginning swimmer please help =X Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-21 1:52 PM

User image

Regular
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Subject: Beginning swimmer please help =X
I am in pretty good shape I am starting to train for my first tri and swimming has come to not be my strong point. When I swim my major problem is my breathing. It feels like I breate out underwater but when I come up for air it's more of like a gasp and I am exhausted by the end of a lap. When I swim I am trying to keep my head down for 3 strokes and turn my head to the side to breathe must be something I am sure you guys know! =)

Please help and thanks in advance,
Jason
Out of breathe

2005-02-21 1:57 PM
in reply to: #120462

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Beginning swimmer please help =X

Metalmasters2k - 2005-02-21 11:52 AM I am in pretty good shape I am starting to train for my first tri and swimming has come to not be my strong point. When I swim my major problem is my breathing. It feels like I breate out underwater but when I come up for air it's more of like a gasp and I am exhausted by the end of a lap. When I swim I am trying to keep my head down for 3 strokes and turn my head to the side to breathe must be something I am sure you guys know! =) Please help and thanks in advance, Jason Out of breathe

Go to the library, and get the Total Immersion book and/or dvd.  This will help your breathing - it's worked for many of us here.

2005-02-21 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Jersey
I second the TI book or DVD...but in reading your thread...you should not turn your head, you should roll your body to breathe...the rest is timing your exhalation with your stroke and work toward bilateral breathing. But the TI book or DVD will explain that in more detail. Good Luck!
2005-02-21 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
It also sounds like you might be working too hard for the level you're at. Just go slow. Try not to splash at all. Allow your legs to relax and only kick a little bit to keep your body parallel to the surface of the water. Think more about the arm stretching out in front of you than in pulling back toward your thigh. Try to reach as far as you can and keep your body in one, sleek line. It should feel like you're gliding through the water on each stroke. Relax. In swimming especially, it's important to get the technique right first before trying to go fast.

Swimming is most commonly the weak link for beginner triathletes (myself included), so you're not alone.

Mike
2005-02-21 3:15 PM

User image

Regular
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Really appriciate the help guys going to order the TI DVD now =) I think your right though I am trying to go too fast if I don't I feel almost like i'm sinking but all newbie probs hopefully TI will be a great resource for me as well!

Jason G
2005-02-21 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
I'm going to put in another plug for Total Immersion (ww.totalimmersion.net)... I just got done with one of their weekend workshops and found that it really helped me out. I went into the class not only being a bad swimmer, but really struggling in the water. After just two days, while I'm still not a "good" swimmer, I'm a whole lot more comfortable in the water and doing much better. The people who took the class who came in as competent swimmers also greatly benefited from the class -- the before and after videos were astounding.

I would say that I would have had a hard time learning this stuff just from reading it in a book (but I have a hard time learning that way). The DVD would probably be a good place to start if you can't afford the workshop, and also they have some free video clips on their website as well. Check those out too.

2005-02-21 3:20 PM

User image

Buttercup

Be patient with yourself. Once you get your technique down, put in the laps and it will get easier and your breathing will becoming more rhythmic.

2005-02-21 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Global
Jason,

I have the same problem you do. After one lap I feel exhausted and an't do another in sequence. I incorrectly have a concern about running out of breath, even though I am taking breaths every 4 strokes.

I think my main fear is that if I slow down my stroke/kick that I won't make it to the other side. So I swim as fast as I can to get to the other side. It's completely frustrating and hit me last night.

Actually I was going to post an identical question but you beat me to the punch. So, thank you everyone from me as well. I'll pick up TI and see what I can do.

Ryan
2005-02-21 4:23 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Another plug for TI. THis months TI news letter has an article about breathing. Basically while swimming, there is no reason to deprive yourelf of oxygen. Imagine trying to run or bike while holding your breath and breathing every 15 seconds...it can't be done. IN swimming the irony is that the less efficient you are (the more of a beginner you are) the more oxygen you need (you need to breath more often), but breathing is the most difficult part of the stroke to get comfortable with By the time you've learned to breath comfortable, your also swimming mroe efficiently and don't NEED to breath every stroke!

What I learned from teh TI video, is the feeling of the "sweet spot" on your side for effortless breathing. THe drills are approaced from swimming on your back first, to swimming on your side, to finally putting your face in the water. While this may feel too rudimentary for many people, especially athletes, what it does do is teach you how to balance in the water while getting as much oxygen as you need! WHen you finally progress to a full swimming stroke, rolling to take a breath is effortless, and the swimming feels magical.
2005-02-21 7:21 PM

User image

Master
TI rocks...

If I read your post correctly you said you breath every 3rd stroke??? when I started I took a breath every time my right arm came out of the water. Now I do every 3rd stroke. dont deprive your self of o2... slow down practice good form, and the speed will come.
2005-02-21 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
What I also learned from my swim coach this week-end is that you should have a slow, controlled exhilation out of your nose, then rotate your body to breathe in through your mouth. You may also want to try breathing every stroke (ie every time your right arm comes out of the water) until you build up some confidence. You might want to try to find a swim coach to help you for just a few sessions. I just started and I can tell it's going to be very worthwhile.Good luck.

2005-02-21 7:34 PM
in reply to: #120475

Elite
Livingston, MT
jmf-tt - 2005-02-21 11:15 AM

I second the TI book or DVD...but in reading your thread...you should not turn your head, you should roll your body to breathe...the rest is timing your exhalation with your stroke and work toward bilateral breathing. But the TI book or DVD will explain that in more detail. Good Luck!

Wouldn't he drown if he didn't turn his head? j/k j/k

Your head should be looking at the bottom of the pool. When I need to breathe, the ONLY difference in my stroke is that I turn my head to get air. The rest of the stroke for me is the same.

Check out this link for some good pointers: http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimtechnique1.htm
2005-02-21 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Every beginning swimmer suffers this, me included....I felt I was almost drowning while keeping my head down as instructed....often sucking in water with air....the advice in this thread is all good: slow down, focus on breathing, rotate that entire body out as much and as long as you need to get a good suck of air but keep your head in the same position....you need to lose that panicky feeling of not getting enough air...so slow down, and take your time breathing....professional help is a great investment....
2005-02-21 11:18 PM

Alabama
I'll let the others give you advice. I just want you to know that you are not alone!
I started training on January 1 of this year. I started my swim training on January 23 -- I managed a pathetic 200 yards that first day.
Last Thursday I swam 1800 yards. In less than 4 weeks I've gone from 200 to 1800 yards.
My form and time per 100 yards are terrible ... but I can swim terribly for a longer period of time! But I'm getting better.
Like you, I need to stop periodically to catch my breath.
Two things have helped me (a little bit, that is): trying to minimize the number of strokes per length of the pool and swimming slower. But don't listen to me, listen to the people who've been doing this for a while.
Just keep swimming!
- R
2005-02-22 1:04 AM

User image

Regular
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Really can't say thank you enough to all of those who have helped out in this I have ordered the DVD and going to the pool tomorrow before my run to test out these new conceps =)

It's really good to know that everyone does have to start somewhere and pretty much what people are mentioning are my EXACT symptoms and it's good to know there is help!

After I watch the dvd and get a little more practice going to get a trainer

Thanks to everyone on this board!
Jason G
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginning swimmer please help =X Rss Feed