General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikes stolen, file a claim? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-06 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Subject: Bikes stolen, file a claim?

So while at a mountain bike race over the weekend, our bikes were stolen off our jeep at our hotel (thankfully, after the race).  Mine was a GF Marlin and my husbands was a GF Cake 3 DLX.  The MSRP on mine is ~700 (I just bought it new 2.5 mos ago), and he estimated his value at $1,500 because he built it himself and thus looks nothing like the stock version.

Our deductiable for personal property is $1,000.  If it was just my bike, its a no brainer to not file a claim.  But obviously the cost of his throws us for a loop.  I'm assuming they would base our claim on replacement value.

How is replacement value determined?  Does he just go through and a make a list of what was on the bike and the MSRP for it today or at the time of purchase?

2008-10-06 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1721751

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Bikes stolen, file a claim?

Getting a claim from a insurance company is a negotiation.  Most likely they will not offer you replacement value.  I once had a 36" TV broken during a move among other things and the offer was $25 which they claimed was the value.

But back to your point.  You are looking at a net check for $1200 if they value the bikes at $2200 - the $1000 deductible.  If that's the case it should easily offset any increase in premium.  I doubt they will give "replacement value".

2008-10-06 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gig Harbor
You need to read your home policy to see if you have replacement value on your "contents" which would include your bikes (most policies do). If I was you I would call up my agent and ask if I have replacement cost on my contents - if the agent says yes, and you can prove the value of your bikes - i.e. receipts - then they will pay for them. However I would also ask your agent if your rates will be affected by the claim - will you loose a claim free discount?
2008-10-06 8:20 PM
in reply to: #1722350

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gig Harbor

The Nat - 2008-10-06 5:30 PM You need to read your home policy to see if you have replacement value on your "contents" which would include your bikes (most policies do). If I was you I would call up my agent and ask if I have replacement cost on my contents - if the agent says yes, and you can prove the value of your bikes - i.e. receipts - then they will pay for them. However I would also ask your agent if your rates will be affected by the claim - will you loose a claim free discount?

I shouldn't say "most" about replacement cost - man that stinks that your bike were stolen! Even if the INS Co. does pay they will prob. surcharge you for it.

Edited by The Nat 2008-10-06 8:20 PM
2008-10-06 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

That Sucks!  Scumbags!!!

Ok, having said that, I'll tell you what little I know about bikes and insurance claims.  Recently my bike "fell" off of the bike rack on my truck...while going down the interstate.  In the 5 minutes it took me to get turned around at the next exit and get back to where I saw it skidding down the road some dumba$$ had stolen it.  Can you believe it?  Anyway, I called my American Family agent and he suggested I make a claim.  The Math:  Replacement cost of bike $2500ish...Deductible $1000...Increase in premium over the next 3 years $200 per...net $600. 

I initially called and started the claim process, but then had to get some additional info collected and procrastinated for a few weeks until I received a letter from Am Fam stating that the claim had been closed due to lack of info or whatever.  I've decided to pay for my own stupidity.

I don't know if this helps you any, but it's been theraputic for me...hope you get it all worked out soon.

2008-10-06 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1722350

User image

Master
It also depends on who your ins provider is. I have State Farm and when my briefcase and gym bag were stolen they replaced everything - my $500 deductible. It was a LOT of stuff too. Laptop, PDA, HRM, Ipod, running shoes. All I did was create a spreadsheet with all the items right down to my stick of deodorant and they cut a check in about 3-5 days with no increase in my premium.  

2008-10-07 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Small Town

We pay just a little extra each year to have to 'replacement cost' option from our insurance vs. the normal depreciated value.  This summer we had an installer make a huge mistake while working in our basement.  So when we ended up loosing many of our personal items I was able to cite replacement value of the lost items rather than have someone say 'your items were worth $X at the time of the damage.

Everyone:  call your insurance agent and ask to have the replacement cost option added to your policy!  It will save you a lot of frustration if you ever break anything!

2008-10-07 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
I work at an Insurance Co in NJ. Our Co started including replacement cost on contents automatically as long as the home was insured to value. Definitely call your agent or look on your Dec page to see if it's included. If not, add it now 'cause if you ever have a big loss (i.e. fire or something) you'll be out thousands of dollars. I happen to work for a benevolent insurer but I'd be surprised if you were surcharged on a Homeowners policy for a claim. Auto would be another issue as that's the industry norm. Sorry to hear about your bikes and good luck.
2008-10-07 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

Thanks for the info.

We inquired with our insurance and I guess what they do is take what was on our bikes and go out to replacement value companies and do some internet searching to see what those parts go for.  So now we're a little more confused.  

I'm having him make a list of everything he had on the bike and just do some cursory searching for some going prices.  If together we get over $2k (net 1k from the insurance) then we might think about a claim.  Otherwise we aren't sure its really worth it to mar our nice clean insurance record.

2008-10-07 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

You can also just go to your LBS and have them come up with a price for the exact bikes if you bought them now.

I have a rider on my bikes and Nan's jewlery.  It costs about $40/yr.  If my bikes disappear, I make a call and get a new one.  No increase in premium and no deductible.

2008-10-07 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1724012

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Marvarnett - 2008-10-07 11:51 AM

You can also just go to your LBS and have them come up with a price for the exact bikes if you bought them now.

I have a rider on my bikes and Nan's jewlery.  It costs about $40/yr.  If my bikes disappear, I make a call and get a new one.  No increase in premium and no deductible.

Sorry to hijack but...is your rider on Home insurance? Since I don't own a home can I still get a rider on say auto or renters insurance? I've been thinking about this a lot and would like to have my bike covered seeing as I wouldn't really be able to replace it if something happened to it. I am a little less than knowledgable on matters of insurance.

2008-10-07 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1723990

User image

Master
kmanus - 2008-10-07 8:42 AM

...If together we get over $2k (net 1k from the insurance) then we might think about a claim.  Otherwise we aren't sure its really worth it to mar our nice clean insurance record.

This idea is why insurance companies make a lot of money.  "Nice clean insurance record"?   um, ok whatever that means.  Don't feel guilty about collecting on a policy you pay for. 

Now if if was a $100 maybe $200 I understand...but a $1000, that's worth the claim.  

2008-10-07 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1724210

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gig Harbor
Aimster - 2008-10-07 9:57 AM
Marvarnett - 2008-10-07 11:51 AM

Sorry to hijack but...is your rider on Home insurance? Since I don't own a home can I still get a rider on say auto or renters insurance? I've been thinking about this a lot and would like to have my bike covered seeing as I wouldn't really be able to replace it if something happened to it. I am a little less than knowledgable on matters of insurance.

If you don't have a renters policy you need to get one - they are dirt cheap - and yes you can get a rider on a renters policy for scheduled and non scheduled items - usually....depends on the company.

Also not to be a downer - ( I have had lots of stuff stolen - I feel for ya )  but home owners policies were designed to cover catastrophic losses - i.e. house burns down - they are not meant to protect your sporting equipment. Although some companies will let you add increased coverage for things like sporting goods and business property or even schedule items if you have an appraisal - which I would recommend for high value items. Keep in mind too on items that have a higher inherent value (jewlry, watches, furs, sporting goods) there are inside limits - Its a good idea to READ your policy to see what ya got!

2008-10-07 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Exactly what The_Nat said.  My Home owners policy only covers up to $2k of stuff.  That's not even one of my bikes.  Enter rider.

Go get one TODAY!!

2008-10-07 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1724325

User image

Sensei
Sin City
sax - 2008-10-07 10:36 AM

...If together we get over $2k (net 1k from the insurance) then we might think about a claim.  Otherwise we aren't sure its really worth it to mar our nice clean insurance record.

This idea is why insurance companies make a lot of money.  "Nice clean insurance record"?   um, ok whatever that means.  Don't feel guilty about collecting on a policy you pay for. 

Now if if was a $100 maybe $200 I understand...but a $1000, that's worth the claim.  

Not 100% sure about that.  I think insurance is for that catastrophic event to cover major loss of property or loss of life or injury.

I used to agree with you untill I heard a horror story from a friend.

First, a windstorm blew his fence down, and it was a couple thousand to have it fixed/replaced, so he claimed it.

Second, something happened to his garage, another couple thousand of damage, so he claimed it.

Third, someone broke into his house and stole a couple thousand worth of stuff.  Claimed it.

All of this happened over the span of a couple years.

The insurance company dropped him for being a high risk and making too many claims.  They would NOT pick him back up or insure him.

Then, when he applied for insurance with other companies, they would always ask if he was dropped by another company.  When he said 'yes', they would look into it, and THEY would not insure him.  He finally found a company, but pays out the arse for it.

On hind site, he said he would have just paid the extra couple hundred or thousand bucks and take care of the items himself (after the $1000 deductable).

don't mean to scare you, but if you are only going to get reimbursed a couple hundred after the deductable, I may just skip it....

2008-10-07 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1724595

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
Aikidoman - 2008-10-07 2:06 PM
sax - 2008-10-07 10:36 AM

Not 100% sure about that.  I think insurance is for that catastrophic event to cover major loss of property or loss of life or injury.

I used to agree with you untill I heard a horror story from a friend.

First, a windstorm blew his fence down, and it was a couple thousand to have it fixed/replaced, so he claimed it.

Second, something happened to his garage, another couple thousand of damage, so he claimed it.

Third, someone broke into his house and stole a couple thousand worth of stuff.  Claimed it.

All of this happened over the span of a couple years.

The insurance company dropped him for being a high risk and making too many claims.  They would NOT pick him back up or insure him.

Then, when he applied for insurance with other companies, they would always ask if he was dropped by another company.  When he said 'yes', they would look into it, and THEY would not insure him.  He finally found a company, but pays out the arse for it.

On hind site, he said he would have just paid the extra couple hundred or thousand bucks and take care of the items himself (after the $1000 deductable).

don't mean to scare you, but if you are only going to get reimbursed a couple hundred after the deductable, I may just skip it....

Most insurance companies look at the rule of 3.  if you have 3 claims in a short period of time (1-2 years) they will drop you regardless of the claim amounts.  Not sure why that is but that's what our SF agent told us when we had a water claim 3 years ago and were trying to determine if it was worth turning the claim in.

2008-10-08 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1723990

User image

Motor City USA
Like the others said it really depends on your policy.

I lost a bike off the roof of the car this summer and it was covered for full replacement value even though I bought it used and had no proof of purchase.

I have a $1000 deductable and just let it be a 'stock' bike because I didnot want to raise any flags at the insureance company. They seemed happy to cut me a check for $700. I assume that it is such a low payout they just passed it through. I'm sure if it had been my uber pricy road bike that got destroyed it would have been a different story though.

Oh, and my premium will not be affected by the claim. I made sure first.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikes stolen, file a claim? Rss Feed