General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stretching Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-03 3:49 PM

New user

Indianapolis, IN
Subject: Stretching
After 2 solid months of training I believe I have ITB Syndrome. I'm having a difficult time coping with this and am looking for alternative measures so I do not have to relax my training program. All the information I read said to rest, stretch, and strengthen your leg muscles. I then ran across this article from an RMT. I wanted to see what everyone's feed back is.

http://www.vancouvermassage.ca/articles/exercise/stretching.html

2004-03-03 4:03 PM
in reply to: #10333

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Subject: RE: Stretching
Hey mate, Im not sure I entierly agree with the artical. We do PT at work 5 days a week for at least 1 hour at a time, and usually twice a day. We begin with a general warm up, with moving the parts of the body through their range of movement only, until warm, to get the blood flowing. The only time we stretch as such is if we feel muscle fatigue/sorenes after the completion of the activity.

Craig
2004-03-03 5:03 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Interesting article; I have read it before. There may or may not be any credence to it, but why not stretch anyways? Stretching, done properly, will certainly not hurt you; on the other hand not stretching might!?! I have serious lower back problems and if I get up in the morning without stretching, I will hurt all day. However, if I do a few simple stretching exercises and roll gently out of bed, I will most likely feel good and not need muscle relaxants to get me through the day. Plus, and this is quite a bonus for me, I can swim, jog, and bike! So, whatever one may think of stretching, the bottom is that it does no harm and has some benefits, be they physical or psychological. Oh yes, and I have been doing yoga for a few years now; I do not consider myself a yogi...maybe a boo-boo.

Edited by Machiavelo 2004-03-03 5:04 PM
2004-03-03 5:15 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

from personal experience i would tend to agree does more good IF DONE PROPERLY.  i used to stretch before any warm up...no no..i ended up just pulling muscles.  BUT with a light warm-up (5min slow jog, arm circles, etc) then LIGHT stretching before running, i have eliminated some very, very pesky tendinitis (along with some hill training).  i think the focus is on light stretching before the actual routine only after warmup..never stretch to your limits before the workout.  PLUS if one stretches properly and regularly, i feel you r more apt to 'handle' inconsistencies on the trail, falls from the bike, etc cuz your muscles and tendons have a better ability to act as a shock absorber by stretching longer therefore the force peak from a bad impact is more spread out instead of spiking.

hell, who know?  seems to be like what diet works for u...something can work for one person and not the other.  we r genetically different.

2004-03-03 7:38 PM

South Bay
As a person who suffers from chronic ITBS and just went to my first of many physical therapy appointments yesterday, I'm very interested in this topic. I feel that stretching *alone* is not going to prevent or help your ITB problems. I know it didn't work as a permanent solution for me. From what I understand, most of the time it's caused by muscle imbalances or other mechanical problems that need to be corrected. That's where strengthening your leg muscles comes in. (By the way, be sure you're strengthening your adductors and abductors, not just your quads & hams. It's the rotation that kills your IT.)

Having said that, stretching *when it's correctly done* can help loosen up any muscles which may be helping to pull your IT tight, or that are pulling your hips into a bad position. Every single professional that I've seen for this problem, from massage therapists to my gp, to the chiropractor, has suggested stretching as part of what it takes to get rid of the problem.
Ron is right, though, every person is different and I guess it's whatever gets you to your next workout.

2004-03-03 10:09 PM

, Alabama

I agreed with certain parts of the article such as not stretching wtihout some form of warmup, but I noticed a few contradictions.  Some of the mobilization examples were reciporical inhibition as they stated which will increase flow and lengthen the opposing muscle group to an extent, but the forearm "mobilization" was nothing but a passive stretch, which is what the article said wasn't good.  At least that was what it sounded like to me.  Once I found that one contradiction I was kind of turned off on the rest of the article.  Just another 2 cents worth from me. 

Sharon

2004-03-03 10:24 PM

Rochester New York
sorry for my ignorance, i am new and do not know what itbs is...
2004-03-04 9:26 AM
in reply to: #10441

New user

Indianapolis, IN
itbs is runner's knee. Rather than me attempt to use medical terminology to sound smart this link will tell you all about it.

http://www.webgate.net/~welchiro/inj-itb.html
2004-03-04 10:35 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
I don't want to be a smarty-pants, but runner's knee and iliotibial band syndrome are two different diagnoses. Runner's knee is otherwise known as patellofemoral syndrome and has to do with cartilage softening or roughening under the kneecap( I had a grand case of this a few years ago). The iliotibial band inserts at the outer part of the knee, but does not have to do with knee cartilage. All said, they both hurt like the devil and limit training!
Jen
2004-03-05 9:55 AM

New user

Indianapolis, IN
Didn't realize they were two different things. Thank you for the clarification. Don't have experience with the PFS but know that I can't do anything but swim with the ITBS.
2004-03-05 10:25 AM
in reply to: #10678

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

Amen to that.  I unfortunately planned on running in the Indy Mini Marathon and was well above worried about finishing.  I did everything I thought was right, not increasing more than 10% in any weeks time/distance, ran a very low heart rate, building a good base over 4 months, cross training and WHAM, one day my knee pain starts.  Now I am thinking the Mini is out of the question if I want to do tri's this summer.  My running is now up to 20 min's or about 2 miles running at 50-55% of my MHR.  I have been going to a PT for 3 weeks now and he says my problem is my glutes.  My hips, thighs, knees, over all flexibility and hamstrings are all much stronger and the muscle imbalance is probably the cause.  He has given me several stretches to do and a resistance exercise which uses a large rubber band type thing I put around my ankles and do a side to side 'defensive shuffle' 5x80 feet every other day.  Is is working?  I think the jury is still out.  I don't think it is hurting and I think the stretching is helping but I have a long way to go to get back to running 5 miles pain free. 

I will say this is the most frustrating experience I have ever had to deal with with respect to sports injuries.  Normally if I am injured I feel it through out the day.  With this pain, I feel great all day and even during the first part of the run then WHAM as if out of nowhere I start feeling it.  I would rather know I am injured than worry ever time I run WHEN it is going to start or IF it will.   I am not giving up the sport but I am getting a lot of swim practice in....which I need anyway.  I biked for the first time in a month last night and did not experience any pain but it was only 15min's at the Y.  I will slowly increase this distance but maybe I can get 2 of the 3 workouts going pretty strong.  That will help me mentally.  I am not glad to know others are suffering the same pain as me but I am also glad that I am not alone.  Hopefully you hang in there and we all get through this eventually.

2004-03-05 10:26 AM

I'm no doctor, but I've always thought stretching was a waste of time. I've run marathons, played tournament level tennis, biked for 100 miles and have not stretched one time in 30 years. With all that activity, I've had no injuries to speak of. What does seem to actually make a difference in performance is the warm up. As the years have gone by, I've needed longer to get those muscles fired up. A cold unresponsive muscle is a cold unresponsive muscle, whether it has been stretched or not.
2004-03-05 9:09 PM
in reply to: #10683

South Bay
Rio... so hear you on the WHAM out of nowhere aspect of this injury. Totally frustrating. The first time it happened, I had just started running and pushed too hard too fast, but my second inflammation struck almost six months later, after starting over and following all the rules. It happend out of the blue during a long slow 8 mi. run, not during a track workout or hills or any of the other things you might expect to get an injury in. Unfortunately, I decided to "tough it out," strapped on a knee brace (a joke) and ran a 10k race the next weekend. Felt like my knee was on FIRE, and I jacked up my foot (plantar fasciitis) in the process of trying to compensate. I couldn't run or bike for weeks. This was in July, and I pretty much threw myself a pity party and stopped training because I was so frustrated that I could not shake this injury. Just started (from the beginning) again in February.

I haven't had any problems yet this season except with the foot, but like you said, it's the not knowing WHEN it MIGHT give that sucks. I hate that looming over my head. My PT says I've got weak glutes too. And I thought I was so buff with all the squats and extensions I was doing! Eventually, I will be doing the 'defensive shuffle' like you (already have my rubber band) but I've got the fun process of breaking down the scar tissue first. Very much wish I had not run on it while it was injured. Paying for it now with the foam roller and the electro-shock therapy!
2004-03-05 9:15 PM
in reply to: #10684

South Bay
mbowlespa - 2004-03-05 7:26 AM

I'm no doctor, but I've always thought stretching was a waste of time. I've run marathons, played tournament level tennis, biked for 100 miles and have not stretched one time in 30 years. With all that activity, I've had no injuries to speak of. What does seem to actually make a difference in performance is the warm up. As the years have gone by, I've needed longer to get those muscles fired up. A cold unresponsive muscle is a cold unresponsive muscle, whether it has been stretched or not.

I told my PT about this thread, and he laughed. He said that there are some people who have good mechanics (built to run) that get away with never stretching. Jeff Galloway is a good example. For the rest of us, who have some issues with the way we're built, or who have imbalances, stretching is part of what we have to do to stay on the road. He did say that warming up should be done *before* stretching, and that stretching shouldn't be done right after you're done working out.

I agree with Ron. It's like a diet: whatever works for you.
2004-03-06 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
I agree with a good bit of what has been said. Trying to strech if you aren't warm and a little sweaty is a waste of time. All you are doing is fighting with your muscles. The muscles need to be warmed up and have an increased blood flow to get any long term increases in flexibility. Personally after a workout is a great time to stretch especially light and medium workouts. Now you don't want to stop running and just lie down and stretch (unless you like being dizzy and pasing out). Priniciples of a good cool down are important but after your heart rate has returned to just about resting, but you are still warm and sweaty is a great time to get some good increases in muscle length. Think about trying to bend cold plastic. Now warm up the plastic bend it and hold as the plastic cools. You get a more permanent change in shape. Hope that helps someone explained it that way once and it made sense to me. Good luck with the ITBS, You may have already done this but check your shoe fit and bike set up. It is amazing what the correct and not worn shoe and a cm change in bike set up can do to help with these problems. Expert fitting for shoes and bikes are extrememly important. A PT or ATC that is a cyclist or runner can be very helpful as well.

2004-03-06 10:00 AM

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
I am a post-workout stretcher, but admittedly, not consistently.
Luckily, I don't get injured very often.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stretching Rss Feed