General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Home Gym Experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-09 3:32 PM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: Home Gym Experience

We are buying our first home and will have an extra room that we haven't had before.  My wife and I have talked about making it into a home gym.  I am wanting experiences from others with home gyms.  Currently we have a membership at the YMCA for $65/month that is at most a 15 minute drive during rush hour.  I've been using weights more than usual due to some injuries and I also use the pool on a regular basis.  We have an aquatics center for $290/year that I can use for swimming.  So for those that have had or do have home gyms, do you ues it as much as you thought you would?  I wonder for myself if I will be as motivated in a room by myself versus in the gym with others around.  Also do you recommend ones with builtin weights or the ones that you buy the weights seperate?

2008-10-09 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1731407

DC Metro
Subject: RE: Home Gym Experience

I love my home gym, I use it almost every day.  My husband uses it almost every day too.

I used to go to the gym frequently, then I started dating my husband.  We went to the gym together but he didn't like how much time it took to go there and stuff so we started building our home gym.  Now a home gym doesn't have to be anything fancy and you can build it up over time.

We started with some dumbbells, a step and a ball.  Also put an old tv and dvd/vcr into the room as well so we could watch whatever while we were exercising. 

We wanted a cardio machine so we added an elliptical.  (Life Fitness)

Added a few more weights but then started kettlebells so bought a few kettlebells.

I wanted a squat rack with pulleys and started looking for one.  Sadly, I couldn't find a home gym store with a full squat rack let alone one with pulleys.  I could order one online but I wanted to see it in a store first.  I found some smith machine type things but I had read smith machines aren't the best for you because you don't have to use your muscles to stabilize it and it can even cause injury.  We actually went with a Prospot gym which has a lat pulldown and a lower pulley.  I love my Prospot.  I can do all sorts of barbell exercises without worrying that I'm going to hurt myself plus it has free motion just as if I was holding a real barbell.  I love free weights and think they are the way to go for training.

I also have a few other things like resistance bands, a bosu, and a mat.  When we got the bike trainer, we also plopped that into the home gym. 

Edited by linanil 2008-10-09 6:58 PM
2008-10-10 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Michigan
After 13 years of training in a gym with others I am having a really hard time getting good workouts at home. I have a leverage system, bike trainer, other free weights etc. The only thing I am lacking is motivation. I can go run bike or swim by myself as long as it is outdoors, but it seems if i have to be cooped up inside I need to be around others. Maybe it's the scenery?
2008-10-10 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Encinitas
The home gym can definitely go both ways. When I first started working out I much preferred being at home. I had a standard gym at the time and I always hated waiting around for people to finish so I could do my workouts and such, in general I felt like the other people at the gym were a hinderence. The gym was very close to my house which was nice though, if it wasn't I probably never would have gone. Once I got my home gym equipment I used it religiously and I loved it, I could do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, it was great. The things you need to watch out for though is it's easy to get distracted and lose motivation. I always tried to set very distinct boundaries for my gym time, when I was in my home gym it was like I was out of the house, no interruptions or trying to multitask or anything like that.

After I moved to San Diego and found my CrossFit gym things changed quite a bit for me though. Now I absolutely love going to the gym, I go there even when I'm not going to workout just because I like being there and I like the people. After doing that for a couple years I'm not sure if I can go back to working out alone now. I have gotten used to having other people around me pushing me to go harder, faster, heavier etc. I somewhat recently moved to Encinitas for a new job (it's a nearby beach town) and I tried going back to working out out alone and it sucked, my motivation just wasn't there, I like my gym too much, so now I drive 30 minutes each way to keep going there.

Moral of the story, some people do much better at home others do much better in gym, I think it comes down to personal preference, what motivates you, and what you are used to.
2008-10-13 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
I do most of my strength training at home. Never could get into going to the gym. Our space is limited so our workout equipment consists of bike trainer, yoga mat, dumbells, a kettleball, resistance bands, jump rope, rope for modified pull ups and weighted rope pulling. I also incorporate a lot of calisthenic/ body weight exercises into my training.

My "home gym" is actually my living room, so I'll often get some training in while catching up on my TV shows. It's not fancy, but it is convenient and meets most of my current needs.

I'll still hit the gym at work if I don't have the equipment for, and can't modify, a particular CrossFit WOD, but still prefer the flexibility and controllable atmosphere I find training at home.

Edited by desertsix 2008-10-13 8:49 PM
2008-10-21 2:16 PM

User image

Regular
The Land of Misfit Toys
One piece of advice that I would give you is to keep in mind the possibility of moving at some point in the future and the challenges that that will bring. I speak from observing a friend who first purchased a bowflex, then added a few different cardio machines (treadmill, rowing, and elliptical), and then decided that he wanted free weights for days that he got sick of the bowflex. Well, after thousands of dollars invested, he and his family decided to move not once, not twice, but three times in the next 4 years. I helped them move the first time, but the next two times they were a few states away, so I couldn't help. Needless to say, he pared down his home gym significantly after the first move. I believe that he now has a treadmill and a humble collection of free weights. He's pretty sure that he's going to stay where he is now, so he's contemplating adding to the collection again.

2008-11-07 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL

Sorry to hit this thread late-

After many different home gym setups in many different homes over many years-

1. Buy a PowerBlocks set, stand, and an adjustable bench.

Pretty much sets you up for  anything.

BUT

I've added a TUFF-STUFF CXT-100.  And it is pretty much all I use now.  Low space requirements, nearly every muscle group, quick, etc.  Love it.

If you train for triathlons, you can lift by yourself.  

steve

2008-11-07 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1795010

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I ended up getting an Apex PWR7 system.  I am not thrilled with it but it will work for now.  At $199 I guess you get what you pay for.  My wife wanted a NordicTrack skier so we found one on craigslist for $50.  I added a dumbell set and exercise ball.  I suppose for what I do it is plenty but I was use to the gym quality equipment.  Live and learn.
2008-11-12 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1795768

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC

csharp1171 - 2008-11-07 11:36 AM I ended up getting an Apex PWR7 system.  I am not thrilled with it but it will work for now.  At $199 I guess you get what you pay for.  My wife wanted a NordicTrack skier so we found one on craigslist for $50.  I added a dumbell set and exercise ball.  I suppose for what I do it is plenty but I was use to the gym quality equipment.  Live and learn.

We have a bowflex gym at home...we hate people, therefore we hate people that workout in gyms. Too crowded, too many posers standing around trying to get a date or yapping to everyone around them telling them about their past date while hanging off the machines. Home gym all the way, we turn on the music we like, workout at our pace and after, we can both enjoy the co-ed showers. Set goals for yourself and make penalties if you miss your goals. Make a challenge between you and your wife, if you win, she has to take you out on a date, if she wins, then you have to make her dinner....it's what we do and it works out GREAT!

2008-11-25 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i need ideas too
2008-11-25 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1825428

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Here's a picture of the work in progress.  We still need to add some mirrors and mount a TV on the wall.  The wall color was supposed to be "energetic" but it is a little more orange than we realized when we picked the color.  We also put rubber flooring down.  I've got my little routine figured out now and I like it much better than when we first got it.  You don't see it in the picture but there is a dumbbell set as well.  I will likely get a pullup bar in the next week or so.  BTW, the room is a little larger than what the pic shows.

Edited by csharp1171 2008-11-25 12:07 PM

(gym.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
gym.jpg (97KB - 19 downloads)

2008-11-25 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
At first glance, my thought was... "I love that COLOR!!!!" I am going to start re-doing our basement as a home gym. I already have the mirrors accross one wall (full mirror closet doors!) and a crappy tv

I need different flooring though. I don't want rubber, but some kind of thin carpet. It's a decent finished basement room, so resale (probably in two years) is what I am concerned about with rubber. In the next house...rubber is what it will be for sure!

Oh, and thanks for the pic!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Home Gym Experience Rss Feed