General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IM Maintenance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-13 5:21 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Post IM Maintenance

Two part question: 

First:  Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse but I'm interested in maintaining most of my IM base that I worked so hard on, but not dedicated 13+ hours a week to do it.

Any suggestions for a winter maintenance plan?

Second:  I was looking at plans for my first race in the spring.  Most likely an HIM or Oly.  It seems that most canned plans start out MUCH easier than what I'm doing now.  I would really like to do more than what called for.  Do I modify it?  Or try to find a plan that starts with a decent volume?

Bottom line, I'm happy with the work and effort I have put in to get in IM shape, and I would hate to see it go out the window after the race.  Just looking for ways to minimize loss of conditioning.

2008-10-13 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1739741

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Post IM Maintenance
Aikidoman - 2008-10-13 6:21 PM

Two part question: 

First:  Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse but I'm interested in maintaining most of my IM base that I worked so hard on, but not dedicated 13+ hours a week to do it.

Any suggestions for a winter maintenance plan?

Second:  I was looking at plans for my first race in the spring.  Most likely an HIM or Oly.  It seems that most canned plans start out MUCH easier than what I'm doing now.  I would really like to do more than what called for.  Do I modify it?  Or try to find a plan that starts with a decent volume?

Bottom line, I'm happy with the work and effort I have put in to get in IM shape, and I would hate to see it go out the window after the race.  Just looking for ways to minimize loss of conditioning.

To answer your first question, as a general rule you can't "hold on" to fitness. Fitness is a transient thing and at any given point you are either gaining fitness or losing fitness depending on where you are in your training cycle. If I remember correctly you are doing Silverman which pretty much coincides with the end of tri season for most of the US. My advice would be to take some time off from structured training (i.e. swim, bike, or run when you want for as long as you want at the intensity that you want) for 2-4 weeks to mentally and physically refresh yourself. The fitness that you have gained isn't going to magically dry up and go away in that period of time and in fact you really need to get a little out of shape (relatively speaking) to get back into shape.

For a winter maintenance plan, you should focus on your limiter(s) and work on technique and core strength. After the first of the year you can begin your periodized S/B/R plan that will prepare you for your Spring Oly or HIM. You will find that your fitness will return much quicker and you will have a solid base on which to build on for next season.

2008-10-13 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1739774

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Post IM Maintenance

Thanks!

For sure I was planning to do a lot of yoga and some strength training for the first 2-4 weeks.  Probably minimal s/b/r.  For sure nothing planned out.  Maybe s/b/r as much as I want for fun....  a particular route or some MTN biking..

Then I can decide what I want to start up for my April race.  There is an HIM plan here on BT that starts at a pretty good clip.  That may be just the ticket.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IM Maintenance Rss Feed