General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sit bone pain after ride...suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-14 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Sit bone pain after ride...suggestions?

So, during my last sprint Tri and last night's outside ride, I had very similar experiences.  My sit bones ache after a short ride (less than 20 miles in each case), and the run afterwards suffers.  It's not my legs (hams, quads, and calves) that hurt.  It is the tops of the femurs where they go into the hips.  This same pain does not seem to happen on my trainer rides, but I definitely ride the outside rides harder. In addition, on the trainer, I occassionally pedal while sitting straight up to stretch, while I would never dream of that on the road.   As far as fit, while on the bike (roadie), I feel great.  Any suggestions, other than "ride more, run more" that may alleviate the pain?  Maybe go get the fit tweaked again?

Oh, and the pain subsides within 10-15 minutes of running, but it does slow me down significantly until it goes away.

2008-10-14 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1740899

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Sit bone pain after ride...suggestions?
How long have you been cycling? I had lots of butt pain as I built up my volume. You just have to develop a hard a**. I get more pain on my trainer than on the road, because on the road I am constantly adjusting my pace (due to rolling hills) and have to stop at intersections alot, giving my body lots of rest. Whereas the trainer is just constant work in the same body position. (which is good training, imo).
2008-10-14 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1741014

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Your position sounds off on the bike.  Or if it is right, you are moving out of position while riding.

Or as Carol mentioned, may not be enough time in the saddle.

2008-10-14 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1741014

User image

Expert

keyone - 2008-10-14 10:24 AM How long have you been cycling? I had lots of butt pain as I built up my volume. You just have to develop a hard a**. I get more pain on my trainer than on the road, because on the road I am constantly adjusting my pace (due to rolling hills) and have to stop at intersections alot, giving my body lots of rest. Whereas the trainer is just constant work in the same body position. (which is good training, imo).

I've been riding since July and have 718 miles so far.  Not a lot, not a little.  The pain is a deep (think Ace Ventura, when he has a spear in his leg, and he's yelling, "It's in the bone, it's in the bone!!...that's the thought I get.  ) substantially debilitating but short term issue.  As you mentioned though, it's an a$$ issue, as that is all that hurts.  My legs feel fine.  Bending over to pick up running shoes is not a lot of fun.  That's where I REALLY feel it, so perhaps it's a flexibility issue as well?  When I start to run I feel like my (boy, this gets TMI quick) butt has to align itself in order for me to run better.  I'm also thinking Daremo might be right about me getting out of position somehow.  Unlike you keyone, I stay in the same position longer outside than on the trainer, as I get bored on the trainer, hands get numb, and I have to fidget.  I don't experience those things on the road.  Between trucks, deer, hills, and impending darkness, I pretty much get in one of two positions (on top of bars by shifters or in the lower handles) and ride as hard as I can.  I knew I was a little tense due to darkness and hills last night when I got done and my right forearm was pounding from gripping so hard. 

2008-10-14 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
kagoscuba - 2008-10-14 9:40 AM

It's not my legs (hams, quads, and calves) that hurt.  It is the tops of the femurs where they go into the hips.   

This doesn't sound like your sit bones. You sit bones are more underneath your body, not where your femur would meet your hips (greater trochanter of femur inserts into acetabulum). Your sit bones are basically your ischial tuberosities (located more underneath your bum).

I'm thinking bike position may be to blame here... but it's just a guess. Have you had a professional fitting?
2008-10-14 10:21 AM

maybe need to do some back and abdomen conditioning to stabilize the pelvis.

2008-10-14 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1741165

User image

Expert
shellabree - 2008-10-14 11:10 AM
kagoscuba - 2008-10-14 9:40 AM

It's not my legs (hams, quads, and calves) that hurt.  It is the tops of the femurs where they go into the hips.   

This doesn't sound like your sit bones. You sit bones are more underneath your body, not where your femur would meet your hips (greater trochanter of femur inserts into acetabulum). Your sit bones are basically your ischial tuberosities (located more underneath your bum). I'm thinking bike position may be to blame here... but it's just a guess. Have you had a professional fitting?

I may have been anatomically incorrect.  Where you describe sit bones is exactly where the pain is.  Yes, I did have a professional fitting, but it may be time to go back and get tweaked.

2008-10-14 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Do you do the majority of your biking on the trainer? Maybe you just need to work up to mileage on the road. As you said, your posture is different on the road, which may put pressure on your butt differently, so your butt needs to get used to that...??? I do know that any change in my bike setup will cause me pain of adaptation for a couple of weeks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sit bone pain after ride...suggestions? Rss Feed