General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Show me proper bike fit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-25 9:25 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Show me proper bike fit
The usual response to this type of question (although not really a direct answer) will be to go and get a professional fit at a LBS. While I agree that's the best way to make sure everything is adjusted properly, I think it would also be extremely helpful if someone could explain what you should be looking for when trying to fit your bike. I've been playing with my setup recently trying to get comfortable and I wish I knew the general geometry I should be shooting for. A site with some pictures of people on properly-fit bikes (tri-specific) would be great. My bike seems to fit fairly well as long as I stay on the hoods but as soon as I go to the aero bars I feel way to stretched out. I personally think that my seat needs to move forward more but it's currently pushed far as the rails will allow. If I slide back on the seat to the point where it supports my a$$ well I feel like I have less power and my feet are too far in front of my body. When I slide forward to where my body feels like it's in the best place over the pedals I end up on the nose of the saddle and I get very uncomfortable (lots of pressure) and my little friend (no jokes please) gets numb very quickly. Only solution I can think of is to get a seatpost with a forward bend or a seat with longer rails.

I also feel that I want a shorter stem. Right now when I'm in the aerobars my elbows are too far out in front of my body...I'd say my elbow makes about a 120 degree bend...shouldn't it be closer to 90-100 so that majority of the support is down through the upper arm into the elbow pads? My bars are adjustable length but that is really determined by the length of my elbow-wrist so it seems the solution is to shorten my stem by about an inch.

2005-02-25 9:35 AM
in reply to: #122254

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Show me proper bike fit
I've just read this article on proper aerobar fit: http://www.tri-ecoach.com/art20.htm

It sounds very clear to me that I need a shorter stem to start. Maybe do that first and then see what I think about the seat.
2005-02-25 9:52 AM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

I'm interested in the answer to this question as it pertains to road bikes. My LBS (stands for lousy bike shop) didn't fit me AT ALL and I don't have the cash to do it. I was thinking about taking a series of photos and seeing what I could do from that.

My physical therapist, who's an avid cyclist, told me that as far as the legs are concerned, with the ball of your toe over the axis of the pedal and with your foot level, you're looking for a 9-13o bend in the knee. So that's really all I know.

2005-02-25 10:01 AM
in reply to: #122265

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Are you talking leg in the 6 O'Clock position...fully extended? I might need to drop my seat just a tad.

kimj81 - 2005-02-25 9:52 AM

I'm interested in the answer to this question as it pertains to road bikes. My LBS (stands for lousy bike shop) didn't fit me AT ALL and I don't have the cash to do it. I was thinking about taking a series of photos and seeing what I could do from that.

My physical therapist, who's an avid cyclist, told me that as far as the legs are concerned, with the ball of your toe over the axis of the pedal and with your foot level, you're looking for a 9-13o bend in the knee. So that's really all I know.

2005-02-25 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
2005-02-25 10:10 AM
in reply to: #122270

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Right. Sorry I forgot to say that.

2005-02-25 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

Here is one article from Bikesport.  http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/exisitingfit.shtml Poke around the site they have a bunch of bike fit articles that are good.  This link was just the first one I saw this morning.

Oh, go to your LBS and get fit.

2005-02-25 10:42 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago

My coach is a certified bike fitter and I've gotten my tri bike professionally fit so the knowledge I express here stems directly from these two sources.  Additionally, these are merely the BASICS of bike fitting and by no means replace proper bike fitting from a professional as there are many other things that are involved in bike fitting such as your flexibility in your hamstrings and lower back, your neck flexibility, and your wattage in a given aero position.

1. I will assume that your cleats are correctly positioned on your shoes, as this is an advanced concept that can't really be adjusted accurately w/o seeing a pro bike fitter.  Start with putting your right crank parallel to the ground (3 o'clock position). With your foot clipped into the pedal, your kneed should be DIRECTLY over the spindel of the pedal.  If it is not, adjust your seat fore/aft for this to occur.  This is now the position of your seat and this should NOT be moved from here on out (unless you adjust your seatpost height...to be discussed later).
  2. Now place your elbows on your aerobar pads so that your weight is being held up skeletally and NOT muscularly.  Have someone observe your body position.  Two things should occur in a "perfectly" fit bike.  (a) your back is parallel to the ground (quite rare in most setups...but obviously the ideal aero position) and (b) the angle created by your femur and lower back (negating any natural curvature of the lower spine) as well as the angle created by your chest and humerus (negating any curvature in your chest from your lungs) should be at 90 degrees.  This typically means that your elbows are either directly below your ears (drawing a perpendicular line to the ground through both) or just SLIGHTLY fore of your ears.
  3. The only way to adjust the angle of your humerous/chest to equal 90 degrees is from a stem length change since, as previously stated, your seat can not be moved fore/aft due to the correct relationship it now has with your "knee above foot placement."  However, if you have to go to a 80cm stem or shorter to effectuate this angle, your bike frame is too large for you.  A "forward" seat post can not correct a too long top tube as your knee will then be forward of your pedal spindle.
  4. Now, with all that adjusted, you can adjust the comfort level of your neck by increasing/decreasing the stem angle allowing your back a non-parallel relationship to the ground.  This is typically done by most people because (a) it's more comfortable for longer rides and (b) you are not constricting airflow to your diaphram as much by the less parallel your back is to the ground.  The other way to adjust the comfort level of your neck is by simply adding spacers to your fork (assuming you didn't cut your for too much prior to getting your bike fit) above or below your stem.
  5. Seatpost height is more of an adjustment depending on your hamstring flexibility than a "general" rule of thumb adjustment but to make it work without seeing a professional bike fitting and having him/her measure the angle of your knee flexation, the best way to determine how high your bike seat should be is to raise it just high enough so that when you pedal at 90rpm you buttocks does NOT move side to side on the saddle when someone observes you from the rear.  If it does, lower the bike seatpost a little bit until this stops.  PLEASE NOTE: if you do have to change your bike seatpost height, be sure to recheck #1-#3 above as the seat height will affect these positions.

The two most common things that are adjusted in a bike fitting are the stem length/angle as well as the cleat positioning on the bike shoe.  After that seatpost adjustment and seat fore/aft adjustment are the 3rd and 4th most common because most people naturally gravitate to the correct seat height and fore/aft adjustment and these are the easiest things to adjust as well.

Keep in mind that these points above are just things you can do at home to get a "general" bike fit.  If you plan to train for a 1/2 IM, I strongly advise against fitting your own bike and then training an entire season on it because injury can quite easily occur when training on an improperly fit bike.  And if you want my opinion, I would GLADLY pay $150 for a pro bike fit to avoid an injury.....any day!

Hope this helps you a bit.

2005-02-25 11:31 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Good info. Question: how is the proper cleat position determined?
2005-02-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: #122316

User image

Elite
Chicago

TH3_FRB - 2005-02-25 10:31 AM Good info. Question: how is the proper cleat position determined?

I don't know the answer to this question.  This is a very advanced concept and something only a pro bike fitter could explain and fit you for.

The main jist of it, however, is that proper cleat positioning is determined by how much you pronate/supronate, if you are naturally toe in/or toe out, if your right leg naturally steps "wider" (further from your body) than your left, etc, etc, and so forth.  It's quite complicated and not as simple as just getting the cleat positioned on your shoe so that the ball of your foot is on top of your pedal.  there's MUCH more too it than that.

2005-02-25 11:37 AM
in reply to: #122298

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Steve- - 2005-02-25 10:42 AM

The only way to adjust the angle of your humerous/chest to equal 90 degrees is from a stem length change since, as previously stated, your seat can not be moved fore/aft due to the correct relationship it now has with your "knee above foot placement." 

Sorry Steve, not up on my anatomy, but does humerous=upper arm? If so, why can you just shorten/lengthen your aerobar extensions (assuming adjustable extensions, which it sounds like Joel has given he has a road bike)? That's pretty much what I did and it worked out fine.

2005-02-25 11:41 AM
in reply to: #122319

User image

Elite
Chicago
JGFTri - 2005-02-25 10:37 AM

The only way to adjust the angle of your humerous/chest to equal 90 degrees is from a stem length change since, as previously stated, your seat can not be moved fore/aft due to the correct relationship it now has with your "knee above foot placement." 

Sorry Steve, not up on my anatomy, but does humerous=upper arm? If so, why can you just shorten/lengthen your aerobar extensions (assuming adjustable extensions, which it sounds like Joel has given he has a road bike)? That's pretty much what I did and it worked out fine.

yes, upper arm.

also, if you shorten/lengthen you're aerobar extensions too much your elbows will no longer be skeletally supported...but will be muscularly supported.  you can do this for a few centimeteres, but that's about it.  the rest must be done with stem length.

Additionally, remember that with your elbows skeletally supported, they should land nicely in line with (or just SLIGHLTY fore) of the perpendicuarly plane drawn from your ears through your elbows to the ground.

Of course, there are many positions that "work" for people, but the bike positioning I'm advocating is one that is most energy efficient and transfers the highest ratio of energy into wattage that makes the bike go forward.  If your elbows are supported by your forearms (aka muscularly supported as in Norman's Kona winning position) then the average athlete (aka NOT norman) will be using energy to stabilize their upperbody on each pedal stroke by firing their shoulder stabilizer muscles....try it out and you'll see.  What you want is a position on the bike that when you pedal; your shoulders, biceps, forearms are not firing on each pedal stroke...this wastes energy...but this will occur when your elbows are muscularly supported or your elbow pads are too close together or too far apart (something I didn't get into in my discussion for this thread).

Edited by Steve- 2005-02-25 11:49 AM

2005-02-25 12:03 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great info. and very important. When I bought my bike, I paid to be measured and fit but ended up buying my bike someplace else. The LBS I bought my bike from hasn't been helpful at all at making small adjustments to my bike.

Through my Tri team I found a new bike shop that is helping me. Tomorrow I'm going in to get some adjustments done. They don't carry my type of bike, but they have been very helpful in getting information, calling me back and their customer service is very impressive.

I need a different seatpost and they ordered one from Softride even though they are not a dealer.

I share this to help encourage people when buying a bike, really understand how much a shop will help you, how much exp. do they have and do they really know how to do a bike fit.

This new shop wants to help me throughout the season and knows there will be slight minor adjustments as my fitness level changes.

My advice is if you are looking for a bike, check out how much they will be working with you to fit your bike and go with the best LBS you can find even if it is a drive.

Kathy
2005-02-25 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
I don't want to take you post but I have to ask this question to those who have the aero bars already!!! How long did it take to adjust to a different way of sitting!!!! I know that when I first started riding it took me awhile for my bottom to get use to it, now with aero bars I have a new position, will I get use to it???
THanks

GJ
2005-02-25 1:11 PM
in reply to: #122322

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
That's part of my problem. In my current position I am too extended in the bars and not enough of my weight is suppported by my bones...I think this is also causing my to lose some pedal power I can shorten the aerobars slightly but that also changes where my amrs contact the the pads. In order to keep the pads near my elbows AND solve the problem of being too extended I'm going to have to pull the entire setup back about an inch. Currently my elbows are well in front of my ears when down in the bars.

Steve- - 2005-02-25 11:41 AM

JGFTri - 2005-02-25 10:37 AM

yes, upper arm.

also, if you shorten/lengthen you're aerobar extensions too much your elbows will no longer be skeletally supported...but will be muscularly supported.  you can do this for a few centimeteres, but that's about it.  the rest must be done with stem length.

Additionally, remember that with your elbows skeletally supported, they should land nicely in line with (or just SLIGHLTY fore) of the perpendicuarly plane drawn from your ears through your elbows to the ground.

Of course, there are many positions that "work" for people, but the bike positioning I'm advocating is one that is most energy efficient and transfers the highest ratio of energy into wattage that makes the bike go forward.  If your elbows are supported by your forearms (aka muscularly supported as in Norman's Kona winning position) then the average athlete (aka NOT norman) will be using energy to stabilize their upperbody on each pedal stroke by firing their shoulder stabilizer muscles....try it out and you'll see.  What you want is a position on the bike that when you pedal; your shoulders, biceps, forearms are not firing on each pedal stroke...this wastes energy...but this will occur when your elbows are muscularly supported or your elbow pads are too close together or too far apart (something I didn't get into in my discussion for this thread).

2005-02-25 2:20 PM
in reply to: #122350

Master
portland, or
Be careful about shortening your stem too much. If you're on a road bike with aero bars and a shortened stem you risk banging your knees into the pads when out of the saddle climbing. IMHO you're better off going with shorter bars to close the angle between your upper arms and chest (move elbows closer to your body). This will mean resting on your forearms.

I'm not going to buy that resting on your forearms is a negative. Some people find it uncomfortable, which of course is an issue, but there's little if any science to prove that a specific method of bike fitting is superior to all others. Too many variables by individual: torso length vs. leg length vs arm length; upper arm vs. lower arm; upper leg vs. lower leg; biomechanics; flexibility; and pedaling technique all play a role in bike fit.

Personally I ride a custom built tri bike and have it set up with shorter bars where my weight is supported by my forearms. I have very long legs in relationship to my torso and this set-up is optimum for me in regards to steady state riding in the aero position and getting out of the saddle for climbs. Comfort wise, I've gone over 100 miles on this bike at least 20 times in the past couple of years with no problems.

my $0.02

scott

2005-02-27 10:13 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I hear ya. I just got on the trainer to check and believe me...I need a shorter stem. Right now my kneew are a good 3-4 inches away from hitting the pads when I stand up so knocking 20-30mm off the stem won't be an issue. And I'd guess the angle in my elbow when i the bars is currently about 110deg if not more. I'll try to get a couple pictures to post up.
2005-02-27 11:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
the other thing to watch out for is your own personal biomechanics. sure, a lanky tout rider will have awesome aero postion, but if your a guy with monster hams, no matter what, you'll need an elevated position.

I'd really try to get a professional fit. the LBS might not be the spot, but surely there are other in the area?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Show me proper bike fit Rss Feed