General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I Ready? Please Check My Logs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-16 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Am I Ready? Please Check My Logs

So the second guessing has begun.  Here is where I am at with two weeks to go

1. Training for about two years:  2 HIM 1 Mary (5:45 HIM and 3:54 Mary)

2.  I followed the  20 Week Begginer IM Plan.  I got sick for one week of training and missed one long run.  Other than that I did 95% of the planned workouts.  I don't feel like I worked real hard on the speed workouts but instead used that time for base building.  I would do the sprint intervals just not as hard as I possibly could.

3.  I am more nervous about nutrition and the swim start than anything else.  I really have considered lettting the field take off and waiting 10 minutes for the traffic to clear on the swim start.

4.  My knees start hurting after about 2 hours running.....but whose don't?

5.  I have soooo much time invested in this event.....I don't feel like I could handle a DNF.

If you guys don't mind check out my logs and let me know some calming thoughts!

2008-10-16 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1748665

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Am I Ready? Please Check My Logs

Logs look great. Remember it is a long day. There will be highs and lows and you need to just keep moving. The training is like  depositing money in the bank and on Nov. 23 you will be withdrawing all day long.

Keep your head up and press on til taper time, you'll do great!

2008-10-17 6:53 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Bike:170h 29m 18s  - 2874.83 Mi
Run:127h 51m 34s  - 794.1 Mi
Swim:70h 33m 25s  - 193330 Yd

Looks good to me.  The money is in the bank.  You paid your dues and put n the training.  You have done all you can do.  Now it's time to relax and have fun and enjoy the harvest as you reap the rewards of your hard training.  Don't allow the negative thoughts of DNF to steal your joy.  Revile in the fact that you made it to the starting line, healthy, trained and uninjurred.

I think the two biggest calming precepts that have help me imensly are these:

1.  It's just a race.  It's not like you're storning the beach at Normandy.

2.  The race is only as big as you make it in your mind.

I don't understand why people get this taper madness thing.

~Mike

2008-10-17 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
If your goal is to finish, then you are ready. 
2008-10-17 9:32 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It looks like you have similar s/b/r distances as many who successfully complete an IM. I saw a recent solid long bike, but didn't see a long run in there. Do you have an 18+ mile run scheduled soonish? I figure 1 more long run 1 more long bike and you are solid for the IM. You have put in a lot of hours have faith and enjoy the ride.....
2008-10-17 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1749397

User image

Extreme Veteran

Baowolf - 2008-10-17 9:32 AM It looks like you have similar s/b/r distances as many who successfully complete an IM. I saw a recent solid long bike, but didn't see a long run in there. Do you have an 18+ mile run scheduled soonish? I figure 1 more long run 1 more long bike and you are solid for the IM. You have put in a lot of hours have faith and enjoy the ride.....

Thanks for all your comments!  I did a 3 Hour Run on 10/05......and I was thinking about a 4 Hour Ride Sat. and another 3 Hour Run on Sunday....too much?

2008-10-17 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1749708

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I feel you.  I'm three weeks out and feel the same way.

I try to rationalize it this way:  The plans you and I followed were created to work,  They are not just words or a useless schedule of workouts.  If you follow the plan, it should work.

Like you, I'm worried about nutrition AND the fact I have to combine all three events.  Each one on their own is no problem.  Back to back (to back)?  We'll see.

Did you practice your nutrition?  My last long run, I used exactly what I would on the course, and drank at exactly every mile, just like I would on race day.  Had the best run of my life.  I plan to do the same for my last long ride this weekend.

I know, easier said than done, but we both have to trust our training and plans.

2008-10-17 11:29 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Your training looks fine.  Relax. 

Take it easy on the swim and don't worry about anything else but your stroke.  If someone bangs or bumps you, just relax and keep swimming.

Hopefully you've practiced nutrition on your long rides.  Eat and drink regularly on the bike, but don't overdo it.  If you ever do ru nlow on fuel, you can always slow down and take more in.  If you 'clogged' the system by taking too much, it's a longer/more difficult problem to solve.  Feed and drink as you feel on the run.  Again, if you feel you've fallen behind in your nutrition, the next aid station is less than a mile away.

If you want to ride 4 hours on Sat, go for it.  DO NOT do a 3 hour run.  DO NOT do a 2 hour run.  90min, tops.  Your work is done.  Biggest mistake at this point would be to do too much, not too little.

2008-10-17 11:30 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jamesehatcher - 2008-10-17 8:58 AM

Baowolf - 2008-10-17 9:32 AM It looks like you have similar s/b/r distances as many who successfully complete an IM. I saw a recent solid long bike, but didn't see a long run in there. Do you have an 18+ mile run scheduled soonish? I figure 1 more long run 1 more long bike and you are solid for the IM. You have put in a lot of hours have faith and enjoy the ride.....

Thanks for all your comments!  I did a 3 Hour Run on 10/05......and I was thinking about a 4 Hour Ride Sat. and another 3 Hour Run on Sunday....too much?

FOLLOW THE PLAN!!!!

My last long run (last weekend) was 4 weeks out from the IM.  The last long swim and ride are this weekend (3 weeks out).  That makes sense as you need time to recover from them (longer for the run).

Two weeks out?  I would be thinking more half taper week then a taper week.  NOT adding in extra long runs or bikes.

Again.  FOLLOW THE PLAN!

2008-10-17 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
You have trained. Trust in your training.

You have trained more than I did for Ironman Kentucky. You will be fine. Have a plan and be OK if you need to jump to a plan B. It's OK.

Ironman is mental. Get your mental game together. Be prepared for a low point and be ready to pull yourself back together. I hit my low point at mile 13 on the marathon. I have pasted when I wrote in my RR about it.

You can do this. Stay steady. Finish the race. Focus on finishing. Don't let anything get into your head and tell you otherwise.

You have done the training. You are ready.

So the first 13 miles were hard. REALLY HARD. What didn't hurt on me? It hurt to just scratch my arm. My feet were sore, everything was sore. I was still positive, but I was also hurting.

Around mile 14, you come into town and see the finish line. No really, it's like right in front of you and you have to turn right and go back out for the out/back again.

I saw my support crew at this point and they were really yelling and screaming for me! They came into the street and walked around me cheering and ringing the cow bells! It was great! Also very emotional. I was hurting so bad and I knew I had to keep going for another 13 miles. It was at this point that I nearly lost it crying. I held it together though, only because it's hard to exercise and cry at the same time!

Headed out on the second loop and this is when I hit my low point. They all say that during the course of the day, you might hit a low point and that is when you have to dig deep to keep going. I knew I would keep going, but I was starting to feel how hard doing an IM was.

It was then that I started saying out loud (I made sure no one was close by), "Stay positive! You can do it! It's all about attitude!", over and over again. It got me back in the game and the low point didn't seem all that bad.

PS- Don't make the mistake of cramming in training during your last 3 weeks. You can do too much but not too little at this point. Resist the urge to go outside of what your plan calls for. The work is done. Now you just maintain what you have till the race.

Edited by KSH 2008-10-17 12:27 PM
2008-10-17 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks so much guys.....for the mental part of the race, I plan to focus on my buddy who just completed The Bear 100 Run.......If can make it through that monster, whats a little IM race?

The nutrition has been an issue with me.....not getting the stuff down, but paying for it.  For most of my long workouts I have used just Gatorade.  I switched to Perpetulum about two weeks ago and will have 3 long rides with it.  No problems yet getting it down, and it is amazaing how much better I feel after riding. 

2008-10-17 1:13 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

IM taper will send you to the loony bin for sure.  I am just starting my taper for IMFL and just waiting for the "crazy's".  Not saying you are crazy.  VERY VERY natural feeling to wonder if you did enough.  It appears from your log that your goal is to finish.  Having said that, your training will most certainly get you there and then some.  Some things to remember:

1.  It's a LONG day, always keep that in mind.

2.  Race within yourself the entire day.  It doesn't take very long of racing too hard to set up a very miserable day.  Especially watch this at the swim start.

3. Follow your nutritionally plan to the T (the one you have been training with), no time for experimenting.

4.Understand that there is alway something new that you hadn't planned for.  The trick it, how well you work through it.

As for the swim start, I doubt you will have to wait 10 minutes to let the madness stay in front of you, probably more like 2 or 3 minutes, so this may be a great strategy.

Best of Luck!

2008-10-17 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1750145

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Nice tips everyone...

Every time I train, I can't help to invision myself on the course and crossing that finish line.  It just keeps popping into my head.  I KNOW there is going to be hundreds of times I will want to quit (I'm guessing during the run).  There is one point in particular that scares me, at Silverman you get to the finish chute at 13.1 miles, and they detour you around it.  You are within 20 of your family and your equipment, food, etc, but still have 13.1 to go.

2008-10-17 3:27 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
My bad I must have forgotten how close you were to your IM when I posted above. At two weeks out, ya taper city. I was thinking you were doing an IM a couple weeks farther out.
2008-10-19 11:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntington Beach
You've worked so hard to get to that starting line. DNF is not an option. If it is not an option don't worry about it. Don't worry about your time either. Just enjoy the day and get the goal of finishing completed.
I had about 6 months of tri training. Only had done one ride of 102 miles. Next longest was 75. Longest run was 13.1 at a 70.3. Next longest was 9 miles. I finished in 13:16. That was also in 100 degree heat, hills all over, and 15-20MPH winds. You've done much more training and will have much more favorable conditions. You'll be fine.
Quit looking for confidence from others and find it inside yourself, you will need it on race day.
2008-10-20 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Vineman,

That is very impressive.  How did you feel during the race and the next few days?

2008-10-20 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You have trained well, now enjoy your taper and get to the line ready to execute all you have practiced.

I worried about the swim too.

This is what I did that helped me feel much better about it. Look up last years results and see where I thought I would stack out.

You suggest waiting 10' for it to thin out after swim start...30 seconds is probably all you need if you start in the  back.

What I saw in looking at results about 30 folks the year before were as slow as I thought I'd be. Which doing the math meant in a two loop course I could get on bouy line and stay there pretty much from the start for both laps and wouldn't be with much traffic and the pros and not to many fast AGers would lap me at the end of my first loop. Just knowing mentally what the traffic would be like when I swam helped me relax before my IM as I knew I wouldn't be in the thick of things and I wasn't. I've done sprints that were much worse contact wise. My swim time was 1:48 which was about where I thought it would be.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I Ready? Please Check My Logs Rss Feed