General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 1st Tri ( in more ways than one)... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-19 11:19 PM

Camden, NJ
Subject: 1st Tri ( in more ways than one)...
Hello. I am attempting my first triathlon sometime in 2009. My goal is to take a mini vacation to Florida and try one there as a get away and treat to myself for working so hard. I really happened across this unique sport while skimming through tv on a Sunday afternoon. It was an X-ttera event. I was mesmerized until the end. I said then that I wanted to do a triathlon. I know this will be the motivation to get back into shape and lose this unhealthy pounds. I am competitive so I will work aggressively at this and I have always loved the feel of pushing your body in sports. I really hope to learn much about nutrition and meeting new people. So to everyone I hope to meet at these events, good luck and take care.

2008-10-20 7:09 AM
in reply to: #1753332

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: 1st Tri ( in more ways than one)...

Congratulations!

Triathlons are definitely inspiring events! 

Good luck and way to go!!!

2008-10-20 8:08 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Congratulations on your new goal!  Use the site, I have found so many good articles and posts on BT.  The people are wonderful motivators and everyone wants you to succeed at your goals.  Good luck, stick to it.  Cool
2008-10-21 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Welcome and congratulations on getting started. I am on the east coast of Florida and there are MANY, MANY great events that would be a great reward for you. I would just caution you that it is VERY hot in July and August so beware if you pick an event during these months. Best of luck to you!
2008-10-22 3:41 PM

Camden, NJ
Thank you to everyone for the encouragement and responses. I live in South Jersey and would like to know of any suggestions on where to purchase a road bike. One that is moderately priced.

Any suggestions?
2008-10-22 5:14 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

You have two choices:

Go to Walmart and take your chances.

Go to your Local Bike Shop (LBS) and take your chances.

Come up with a budget

You can always check out E-Bay, if'n you are a gambler.

2008-10-22 5:37 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
ACK! Please don't buy a bike at Walmart. It will be a peice of crap. You will hate it, then you won't ride it, and you'll give up triathlon.

Better to save up a while and get a decent bike at your LBS (local bike shop). I got my first road bike at an end of season fall sale for $1000 (on sale from $1300). Now is a good time to shop.

My first bike was a road bike with clip on aerobars. It was (and still is) great. I now have a tri bike that is worth about the same ($1300). It is amazing and I wish I had just gotten a tri bike to begin with. Again, you can get one on sale now! You don't need a carbon frame. Only down side to a tri bike is you can't really ride in groups with it. So, if centuries and riding clubs are on your wish list of things to do, maybe a road bike would be better.

Oh, when I first started out, I read somewhere you want at least Ultegra components. I have to agree with that rule of thumb. My tri bike has 105's and just don't shift as smoothly as my road bike, which has Ultegra. I'll probably upgrade the derailers at some point on the tri bike.

Good luck!

Edited by keyone 2008-10-22 5:38 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 1st Tri ( in more ways than one)... Rss Feed