General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hawaii to Cycle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-22 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: Hawaii to Cycle

Aloha All.

I am thinking of heading to Hawaii over Christmas and New Years to mainly ride my bike My own personal island training camp to escape the rains of Vancouver.

So I am looking on advice for where to eat, sleep, ride, and explore when not on my bike. Right now I am thinking of visiting Oahu and Maui and contemplating camping to save some money. What's the best volcano to ride up and where should I be for new years?   What can't I miss?

I would love any suggestions/insights anyone might have. 

2008-10-22 2:32 PM
in reply to: #1759355

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Hawaii to Cycle

From what I remember, and that was good few years since I lived there, Hawaii is not the most bike friendly place, don't be disappointed.  I lived in Honolulu first and rode almost anywhere in the city, but was afraid to ride to the 'other side' on Pali Hwy (I'm not even sure if it's legal to ride through those tunnels).

Maui was much better and you just can't miss the ride up and down the Haleakala volcano, just make sure it's not raining up there or you can kill yourself on the way down (I almost did). For New Years if you are into parties - Lahaina on Maui or Honolulu on Oahu.

As far as camping - there are state campsites on Oahu, but you need to get a permit, never tried that one. A lot of people live on boats and other floating devices in Honolulu. I would go and read bulletin boards at Ala Wai harbor and Keehi Lagoon if that's of any interest. Good luck!

2008-10-23 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1759355

Subject: RE: Hawaii to Cycle
The route for the Honolulu Century starts near Waikiki and goes about 50 miles out on fairly safe roads...decent bike lanes and shoulders, and you don't have to ride the Pali.  You can also extend the route by going further around the island.  On Muai, the volcano known for biking is Haleakala, but mostly tourists biking (coasting) down.  Can't remember specifics, but the road up is 40ish miles and tops out around 12,000 feet.  The weather at that time could be an issue closer to the top.  Only lived here a bit over year, but I could go on and on, so feel free to PM.  Nick
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hawaii to Cycle Rss Feed