General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Search Complete, Still Can't get Rear Derailleur Working Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-23 6:23 PM

User image

Expert
Mississippi
Subject: Search Complete, Still Can't get Rear Derailleur Working

Before I start, I've looked EVERYWHERE for help.  I've watched all the videos, read all the articles, done all the common sense things.  Here's my story: 

So I just put new shifters and cables on my bike.  I am trying to get them working, but the shifter that operates the rear derailleur does NOTHING.  It's a brand new 10 speed Shimano Ultegra STI shifter.  I've got the cable run, taut, and attached to the rear derailleur, I've played with the barrel adjuster, haven't touched the limit screws, since there was nothing wrong with the limits before I started this project. 

But, after pulling the cable taut, and attaching, I attempt to shift, and . . . .NOTHING.  Nada, Zip, zero.  I am at a loss.  Absolutely lost.  I guess I'll have to resort to looking like an idiot tomorrow at my LBS.   Dang DIY projects gone wrong.

Any suggestions, am I missing something?  I did everything just like the instructions state.

2008-10-23 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1762661

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Search Complete, Still Can't get Rear Derailleur Working

I'm guessing it still may not be tight enough (the cable).

As I recall, I like to put the shifter in the position it would be in to be in if you wanted to be in the small ring.  Then, you have to push the derailer by hand to the second or third ring up from small one (the springs want to pull it back to the little gear), THEN tighten down the cable.  When you let go, the springs will pull the cable to it's max. limit and derailer should fall back to the small ring (or close to it).  If it doesn't slowy release the cable and let the derailer slip to the right gear and tighten.

Most likely you will have to make some small adjustments with the barrels, so it's best to have them in the "middle" when you start, so you can loosen or tighten them if needed.

I could be wrong, so you might want to wait for other wrenchers to chime in.

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-10-23 6:56 PM
2008-10-23 9:13 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

Is it possible that you attached the shifters while they were set to the lowest gear (biggest cog)?  The default position of the derailleur is of course on the smallest cog.  The cable should be taut.  You can test the shifting of the derailleur by pulling on the cable directly and in so doing the shifting should occur.  If you can do that, the derailleur is probably fine, and it is a problem in the shifters.  If you can't shift it "manually" this way, it might be that for whatever reason the limit setting screws are off.

If you have mis-set it, first loosen the bolt holding the cable in place on the derailleur, then shift to the highest setting on the shifters and re-tighten the bolt.  It should now work fine, possibly needing some adjusting with the barrel for fine tuning.  Good luck.

2008-10-23 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Mississippi
So, I gave up, after hours of messing with it.  I couldn't get it to do anything.  I realized (as this was my first attempt at changing cables) that I had the outer casings wrong on the shifter cables.  I put the small casing on the brake cables for some reason.  I had it ALL messed up.  So, I'm bringing it to the LBS and hopefully he'll let me watch how the cables are supposed to be installed.  Thanks for the input guys!
2008-10-24 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Mississippi
I GOT IT!!! Had to buy new cables since I pretty much ruined the housing on the other ones, but I think I didn't have the cable in the STI shifter exactly correct, so it wasn't pulling any tension.  I feel much better about the situation now.  Thanks again guys!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Search Complete, Still Can't get Rear Derailleur Working Rss Feed