General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit acclimation... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-27 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: Wetsuit acclimation...
I have a HIM race coming up Nov. 9th and it is borderline wetsuit legal (has been legal last 6-7 years). So I bought new wetsuit last weekend and I am on the fence whether to swim with it come race day. I really have not had opportunity to train with it due to seas being rough and lack of swim partner. There are not any "swimable" lakes around my area either and I thought cholorine was no-good for suit so have not tried in a pool either. The only time I will have to try it out is this weekend @ the course orientation meeting and the day before race for brief swim while at expo and bike drop-off. This would not even be long swim at that.

So should I still give it a go if these two swims feel fine or go with what I have been training with (no suit) for the past year+? I bought it for all the right reasons I have read and reseached, just skeptical of breaking the "trying something new" on race day rule of thumb. Any other suggestions on getting the swim with wetsuit training in if OWS is not really option? Does it matter?

Thanks!

2008-10-27 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1768780

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Wetsuit acclimation...

I don't think you should swim in it for the first time come race day.  I don't see any problem with swimming in a pool with it... have done that quite a few times before races, I just rinse it out well when I get home.  Four or five pool swims before races aren't going to destroy your suit.

Go to the pool, swim for a bit, get used to it, rinse it when you get home, it's all good.  I don't think that anyone trains in a wetsuit unless most of their swims are OWS.  Around here in Northern Virginia, no one does.

Good luck in your half!! 

2008-10-27 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Chlorine is not good for a wetsuit long term. Chlorine will not affect a wetsuit in the short term, especially if you make sure to clean it right after the swim. They make a special wetsuit detergent which should help.

When we were learning to SCUBA, the first 2 lessons were in a pool, with full 7mm wetsuits, rented from the SCUBA shop. We were in the water for a good 10 hours, and the only thing that they asked for is that we rinsed, washed, and then re-rinsed. These rental suits had a life span of a year, before they were sold at discount, so the shop wasn't terribly worried.

I would get as much practice as you can, because at least the first time that I swam in a tri-wetsuit, it felt extremely awkward. The main thing that you have to worry about in a pool is overheating, as long as you clean the suit very well after the swim. So keep the swim pretty short, and ignore the strange looks that you'll get from other people in the pool
2008-10-27 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Yeah, you want to wear it a couple of times before the race, even if the pool is the only choice. Shower it off when you're done. As long as it's not a constant habit, the suit should be fine. Be prepared for a LOT of looks at the pool, though.
2008-10-27 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1769071

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
monkeyboy64 - 2008-10-27 7:57 PM

Yeah, you want to wear it a couple of times before the race, even if the pool is the only choice. Shower it off when you're done. As long as it's not a constant habit, the suit should be fine. Be prepared for a LOT of looks at the pool, though.

I was thinking about that... But I swim at a local YMCA where I am normally youngest swimmer by 30 years and swim along other lanes roped off for water arobics. They will have to cope. One good point though is overheating. Really a factor in an indoor pool with sleeveless wetsuit? I guess I will have to keep it short as mentioned.

Thanks all...
2008-10-27 10:20 PM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
I wouldn't worry too much about it honestly.  No one who isn't mentally and physically tough even contemplates what you're about to do.  If you're comfortable knocking down a 1.2mile swim, then a wetsuit will only improve your buoyancy and lower your resistance in the water.  The trade-off would be the restricted shoulder motion, which is not a big deal really.  Have a great race!

2008-10-27 10:24 PM
in reply to: #1769559

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

cardenas1 - 2008-10-27 11:11 PM
monkeyboy64 - 2008-10-27 7:57 PM Yeah, you want to wear it a couple of times before the race, even if the pool is the only choice. Shower it off when you're done. As long as it's not a constant habit, the suit should be fine. Be prepared for a LOT of looks at the pool, though.
I was thinking about that... But I swim at a local YMCA where I am normally youngest swimmer by 30 years and swim along other lanes roped off for water arobics. They will have to cope. One good point though is overheating. Really a factor in an indoor pool with sleeveless wetsuit? I guess I will have to keep it short as mentioned. Thanks all...

Meh on the looks.  I've swam a few times and never got looks, and even if I had, who cares?  I swam around 1000 in my sleeveless when I've been at the pool, not much more than that... got a little warm for me. 

2008-10-27 10:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
You must be doing MiamiMan! I'll be there too (International distance).

Take your wetsuit to the pool. Rinse well afterwards (I use the showers that are on-deck). I always know when a big race is coming up (like IMFL or Great Floridian) b/c all of the area long course triathletes flock to the pool and do some wetsuit training. I've taken mine in the pool twice now and I'll probably go another two times before the 9th.

Good luck to you!!!!
2008-10-28 3:13 PM

User image

Regular
I would definitely recommend swimming at least a few times in your wetsuit before the race. I wish I had acclimated more to mine. I had a rather panicky swim in my first wetsuit tri, and one of the problems was my wetsuit feeling like it was choking me.
2008-10-28 10:35 PM
in reply to: #1769639

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
shellabree - 2008-10-27 11:45 PM

You must be doing MiamiMan! I'll be there too (International distance).

Take your wetsuit to the pool. Rinse well afterwards (I use the showers that are on-deck). I always know when a big race is coming up (like IMFL or Great Floridian) b/c all of the area long course triathletes flock to the pool and do some wetsuit training. I've taken mine in the pool twice now and I'll probably go another two times before the 9th.

Good luck to you!!!!

Yes I am... Good luck @ the race! I did try the wetsuit in the pool tonight and... WOW. I can't believe what an advanage it was. Went from avg of 1:50 per 100yrds to 1:35 and with less effort! I am really excited for race now!
2008-10-29 2:40 PM

Regular
Are you sure that we're allowed to swim in the lake at the course orientation meeting THIS weekend?  I thought only next Saturday.

Cheryl

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit acclimation... Rss Feed