Other Resources My Cup of Joe » All those other swimmers... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-04 10:56 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
Subject: All those other swimmers...
Hey everyone!

After seeing some guy at the pool yesterday in flippers, a mask and snorkel doing laps, I thought others might have good stories to share about others (or yourself) in the pool....funny stuff, annoying stuff etc.

Something that bothers me is when people swim along the bottom of the pool under everyone. It freaks me out!!

Hope to hear some good ones...
Jen

2004-03-04 11:45 PM
in reply to: #10629

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-03-05 9:18 AM

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: All those other swimmers...
I can honestly say I have never had anyone swim below me!!!!LOL!! That is hilarious! Most of the morning swimmers I swim with come in, do their thing and leave. The only weird one I have experienced is the guy breaststroking next to me this am with his legs straight down in the pool (think he could use some TI). Somebody on the BT site has the signature.....Swimming at the "Y"....where it's a contact sport. At least it prepares you for the mass starts. Keep em coming everyone.
2004-03-05 12:10 PM

Master
Chicago
What annoys me at the pool are the "Bruisers!" The guys who slap and kick so hard in the water that they cause bruises! It's crazy. There will be only me and another guy in the pool but the pool water is rocking and shaking like it's the Atlantic Ocean during a storm. Jeez! One time I actually felt myself getting sea sick with all the commotion. It was crazy. I guess that should prepare me for the open water swim race!One another annoying swim group - The Sauna Jumpers. These are the folks sweatin' it out in the Sauna and then come running out and just jump in the pool. It rattles the heck out of me when I'm turning around to swim back and some jerk nearly jumps on my head!!!!!So I swim in the far lane away from the sauna so I, thankfully, miss all the hot tub banter!!!!
2004-03-06 2:25 AM

Veteran
I am so lucky to be at a pool that has lap swim at all times the pool is open. They even have lap swim when there is a local High school meet going on, and once durning a college invitational. When they are racing in the main pool, we do laps in the diving well(25 yards from side to side) and we use the main pool during the diving. It is very intimidating to swim laps when so many people are watching. I will see the highschoolers swim their races twice as fast as I could ever think of swimming, and they are doing the backstroke.
The best thing that happened to me was during a college meet. I was asked to leave my lane, because it was for lap swimmers. The Lifeguard thought I was on one of the teams. I thanked her for the compliment.
2004-03-06 10:23 AM

Regular
North Carolina, USA
During the summer I swim at the local college. When they hold camps all the kids tend to be in the pool the same time that I want to do my swim. Normally, I'm a pretty laid back guy. I figure that there is three lanes for lap swim, so they will stay out of my way. However, I was wrong. DEAD WRONG. I'll be swimming and the next thing you know I'll have four kids trying to run away from another kid and they'll run in front of me. They are chasing each other with kickboards and after a while it just gets annoying. It gets to the point where I want to stand up, grab one of the kickboards and knock some sense into all of those kids. I know that this isn't the proper method of going about it, but someone should explain to those kids that there is a part of the pool for open swim. That is the only swim story I have now.

2004-03-06 4:05 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
I guess I shouldn't complain, it sounds like there are some real weirdos out there. The worst thing that's happened to me a the occasional water snake in the pool. I swimm in an outdoor pool and durning the summer they take off the bubble. Last summer a couple of times there were some water snakes that got in the pool. There is a irrigation canel next to the gym and sometimes those things venture outside their area. I not afraid of snakes, but still it is a bit creepy having one brush up on you when you doing your laps.
2004-03-06 4:11 PM

Master
Kingston Ontario
WATER SNAKES???!!!
No snakes is one advantage of being in the pool vs. open water! I like snakes, but not swimming beside me in training. You definately win the award for most unique annoyance so far!
Jen
2004-03-07 12:58 AM

South Bay
My cousin and I are working on TI drills... the first lesson, so basically kicking on your back and sides. We were at the pool last week and this Super Swimmer couple gets into our lane and proceeds to start doing sprints back and forth. The choppy water I could chalk up to good open water practice, but they were giving us huffy and annoyed looks at the wall because we would sometimes veer into their side of the lane. What do you want, people? Does it look like we have control of our swimming selves if we're doing kicking drills and practicing floating? It's not like there weren't several other lanes with more advanced swimmers for them to choose from!

2004-03-08 2:15 PM

NJ
It ticks me off that there are no designations on the lanes at the Y. My old Y had the lanes marked, slow, med, fast. For the most part people usually paid attention to that. Well anyway, nothing worse than getting stuck in a lane with swimmers that are of completely different abilities.

Oh and they cant seem to get the water temp worked out, One day its ICE cold, then next it's ok, then it's too HOT, then back to cold, yadda yadda yadda....

I'm done ranting now, I'll go back to my corner and behave.

2004-03-12 1:12 PM
in reply to: #10839

Master
Chicago
BigAdams,I love your idea of discipline! Spare the rod....

2004-03-12 2:18 PM

Expert
New Port Richey

Watersnakes!!!!! If that ever happened to me Ian Thorpe better watch out because I am setting all sorts of new records getting out of that pool.

2004-03-13 9:40 AM

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
What about when the quirky swimmer is your husband???? Bless his heart, he's blind as a bat without his glasses. So, I walk in, see that all the lanes are doubled up with people, except the one he's in. No problem.... we share a bed and a bathroom for heaven's sake. I think we can share a lane. So, I just get in and wait for him to get to the wall to let him know I'm there. I ask to share with him, he gives me this vapid smile and says yes. He clearly doesn't know it's ME!!!! Okay, he can't see. But wouldn't you think he'd know it's ME, recognize my voice.... SOMETHING? Nope.... the absent-minded professor is clueless. I think this is pretty funny, so I say... "Ummmm..... honey.... remember me? We've had sex." The pool which had until that second been very loud with all the swimmers, just happened to get very quiet. Everyone heard... and of course they don't know we're married. I want to just quietly drown. He certainly knows it's his smart-mouthed wife NOW, swims off and says "Well, THAT won't be happening again" Sigh.....

Andrea
2004-03-15 1:01 AM

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
That's soo funny! There is actually a guy where I swim that swims laps with flippers o. I wouldn't care except for the fact that I always seem to be at the end of the pool when he is doing his little swimmers flip and the flippers smack the water causing an annoyingly present slash in my face. Overall, though, I find it rather amusing!
~Dorian
2004-03-22 3:04 PM

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MN.
At the Y where I swim there is a lady who comes there with her boombox and she treads water in the deap end for quite some time doing workouts very vigorously. The funny part is the songs, Rocky theme song, Mission Impossible, that hip song that the saturday night live boys go out on the town in at the Roxberry, etc. I do give her credit though she works very hard, if it works for you no matter how embarassing go for it.

Al
2004-03-22 3:31 PM
in reply to: #12209

Extreme Veteran
My husband is also blind without his contacts in. A few years back we were swimming in the evening with a fin-swimming group. The pool has a dive well attached, separated by a bulkhead. Dear husband had a front-mounted snorkel and fins on and somehow swam hard right into the bulkhead. He almost knocked himself out! It was so funny, we still laugh about it.

2004-03-23 7:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
There's this older (late 70's) gal who comes to the Y early and grabs a "half lane" when the place is full - usually near me. I'm doing all these TI drills and she generally slaps me around pretty good with her fins as we pass. She does smile when she leaves however.
2004-03-26 5:15 PM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
I've looked at this thread and gotten some good laughs. So, today I went swimming - and of course it is spring break for schools here, so the pool is jammed. That I could tolerate. But, when I hit the showers, the woman next to me sits on the shower floor - NAKED - to shave her legs. Then she sits - NAKED - on a bench to get dressed. Now, come on. That is just too weird for me. I feel like I'm a freak for wearing shower shoes, but now I have no problem with it!

c
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » All those other swimmers... Rss Feed