United States
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = 275/1070
Age Group = Men 35-39
Age Group Rank = 61/172
Pre-race routine:

Ate oatmeal and PB sandwich one hour before the race start......
Event warmup:

getting to a bathroom on the upper level of the superdome and down to the start line in 5 minutes......bad planning
Run
  • 1h 50m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

A very good run overal, I slowed myself early in the race and chatted to club members until about 4 miles in and moved forward at a reasonably comfortable pace. At mile 7-9 I had some intestinal distress and cramps which made the porta potties look attractive but it passed without incident. I think I could have gone quicker in the first 1.5 miles but was negotiating the mobile roadblocks as usual (what is it about the flat out in the first mile mentality?)....the last section from mile 12 to the finish my legs started to betray me, I had to work very hard to maintain pace.
What would you do differently?:

Not spend the previous afternoon walking about the French Market and turning the room heating down during the night so I didn't awaken soaked in sweat....I could have been fresher..
Post race
Warm down:

shuffling around the superdome looking for food and a few beers :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of experience and maybe a little drained from the previous days activities. However it was faster than I expected by a long way

Event comments:

I can't honestly think how it could have been better, excellent experience and I'd reccommend it to any first timer in the south eastern US

Last updated: 2005-02-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:05 | 13.1 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 61/172
Overall: 275/1070
Performance: Good
My HR was at 145 at the start while stationary and pegged at 183 around 3 miles in...I saw a max of 191 at the finish chute. My chip time was 1:48:58 due to the traffic at the beginning
Course: Very flat and fast....one bridge over a canal allowed you to see if your club members were up ahead...a little windy at times and the broken pavement kept you on your toes. Excellent marshalling by the local police and good pockets of support....
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %???
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-02-28 2:03 PM

Regular
Subject: Mardi Gras Half Marathon

2005-02-28 2:12 PM
in reply to: #123518

User image

Subject: RE: Mardi Gras Half Marathon

Excellent race, it's great that you performed as you wanted.

2005-02-28 2:55 PM
in reply to: #123526

Regular
Subject: RE: Mardi Gras Half Marathon
well thank you!.......I put the result down to my sub-LT training and long tempo runs in the last few weeks.....I have made massive gains over the last month, I hope this continues for a little while longer.

I know on an equally flat course with similar preparation and maybe not so much in the way of pre-race nerves I can break 1:45 easily. as you can imagine I'm floating on air

Kevin
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mardi Gras Half Marathon Rss Feed