General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Time vs. Road Time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-29 6:53 AM

Veteran
Richmond, KY
Subject: Trainer Time vs. Road Time

In your opinion how does road time compare to trainer time?  For intance, if a scheduled ride were 2 hours, clearly meaning on the road, would you do 2 hours on the trainer or would you scale it back.

2008-10-29 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1772656

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Trainer Time vs. Road Time

I personally don't like the 'drainer' all that much hence when I ride on it I prefer to do specific training in shorter time (1:30 hrs max). If I need to ride 2 hrs on the road I would then just ride 1-1:30 hrs on the trainer at a higher intensity. Make my session more specific for the given time I spend on it.

It is all about the type of session you have scheduled and on what training phase you are.

2008-10-29 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Like Jorge said, it depends on what you do on the trainer, if you are getting in a good hard workout, the general rule of thumb I have heard is that time on the trainer is equal to time and half on the road. . So let's say you ride for 60 minutes on the trainer, that is equal to about an hour and half on the road, the reason is that you cannot "stop pedaling" on a trainer on a downhill.  Although if someone just gets on the trainer and just spins very easy for an hour, that will not do anything for him/her, it needs to be a specific workout.  I have found that Spinervals or Chris Charmichael Train Right series is good to do when on the trainer. 

Longest ride I have done on a trainer was to a Spinerval and it was 3 hours long. . it was a good hard workout. 

2008-10-29 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Agree. 1.5 X trainer time = road
2008-10-29 10:35 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Ride harder on the trainer than you would have on the road.  Then get off in an hour or hour-and-a-half.
2008-10-29 11:56 AM

Shouldn't Heart Rate Zone training be part of this discussion.  I agree with everyone that dislikes getting on the trainer or the treadmill or the endless pool.  However, it seems like a great time to take advantage of staying in an aerobic zone.  Out in the non-synthetic world, a person needs to contend with the changes in environment while inside, we are able to have a static environment free from hills, wind, etc.  I am not saying that being outside isn't wonderful.  I would far rather train outside than inside.  I am just saying that a person doesn't need to constantly adjust his/her speed to contend with the impact environmental changes have on zone training.  However, I am clearly not an expert on this topic.

2008-10-29 7:54 PM

User image

Elite
Its just different. When you on the trainer you are 'always on' vs the road where you can coast.  I dont think anyone loves the trainer. I do spend quite a bit of time of mine. I would say if the WU calls for a 2hour ride, then do 2hours.
2008-10-30 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1773306

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
TriForest - 2008-10-29 11:56 AM

Shouldn't Heart Rate Zone training be part of this discussion.  I agree with everyone that dislikes getting on the trainer or the treadmill or the endless pool.  However, it seems like a great time to take advantage of staying in an aerobic zone.  Out in the non-synthetic world, a person needs to contend with the changes in environment while inside, we are able to have a static environment free from hills, wind, etc.  I am not saying that being outside isn't wonderful.  I would far rather train outside than inside.  I am just saying that a person doesn't need to constantly adjust his/her speed to contend with the impact environmental changes have on zone training.  However, I am clearly not an expert on this topic.

HR doesn't always translate. Forget about coasting, you can't even soft pedal. If you pause for a second to adjust your shirt, the wheels come to a stop. Remove the boredom and there are still some differences.
2008-10-30 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Barrington Area, IL
I have what may be a stupid question.

It seems everyone agrees trainer time is 1.5 real world time. That being said - if you trained on a trainer for most of your training and did the equivalent work for a HIM would you be able to transfer this directly to the race?

I never use a treadmill (thankfully my club has a track) because I know in the past I could jog 2 miles on it with no problem and then could not finish 1 mile on the track.

So since I am dealing with the great Chicago winter and springs I am going to be spending a ton of time on the trainer - how much does this really translate to real biking?

THANKS!!
2008-10-30 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1773306

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

TriForest - 2008-10-29 11:56 AM Shouldn't Heart Rate Zone training be part of this discussion.  I agree with everyone that dislikes getting on the trainer or the treadmill or the endless pool.  However, it seems like a great time to take advantage of staying in an aerobic zone.  Out in the non-synthetic world, a person needs to contend with the changes in environment while inside, we are able to have a static environment free from hills, wind, etc.  I am not saying that being outside isn't wonderful.  I would far rather train outside than inside.  I am just saying that a person doesn't need to constantly adjust his/her speed to contend with the impact environmental changes have on zone training.  However, I am clearly not an expert on this topic.
FYI - 99% of the time we spent training is AEROBIC even when pushing the pace at VO2 max because we are primrily using our aerobic system to fuel out effort. Only when you sprint all out you will rely on the anaerobic system and that will only last for up to 2 min.

HR training is just a way to gauge effort (although not a direct one hence not the best). People can train using a HR, RPE, power, etc. training zones are just subjective ways for us to sort of gauge when we are going easy, moderate or hard. These zones mean little to our bodies, however through appropriate training and intensity we can ball park rather accurate how hard we have to push to induced specific training adaptations.

Anyway some coaches advocate using the off-season, base training, winter, etc. to limit how hard or intense athletes should train but IMO that reasoning is not effective or efficient for most AGers. Training adaptations are produce based on load and load = volume (time/duration) + intensity. Hoe much load an athlete can handle is what will produce greater training adaptations. If an avg AGer can afford to allocate a lot of time to training then yes doing more volume and lower intensities might make sense, the reality is that most AGers have families and other life prototypes hence they can’t invest that much time.

When you have little time to train and you limit you training at lower intensities you are not only wasting your time but making a disservice to your potential gains. If you instead add more intensity to generate a great load you then will train more efficiently and gain better return on investment.

2008-10-30 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1776717

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Wolff27 - 2008-10-30 4:28 PM I have what may be a stupid question. It seems everyone agrees trainer time is 1.5 real world time. That being said - if you trained on a trainer for most of your training and did the equivalent work for a HIM would you be able to transfer this directly to the race? I never use a treadmill (thankfully my club has a track) because I know in the past I could jog 2 miles on it with no problem and then could not finish 1 mile on the track. So since I am dealing with the great Chicago winter and springs I am going to be spending a ton of time on the trainer - how much does this really translate to real biking? THANKS!!

IMO riding the trainer doesn't translate to 1.5 of road riding. As long as the intensity at which I am training remains constant 1 hr on te trainer is the same as 1 hr on the road. Those using a power meter can see this rather easy, if you push 'x' watts the strain imposed on your body will be the same. Of course on the trainer you don't get breaks and menatally seems more challenging but riding at the same effort for the same time results on a very similar stress score. that been said even if you train on the trainer all winter and you get out as the weather improves you might need a few rides to get used to the variability of terrain which in might cause you to fatigue a bit faster. Riding a computrainer might help make te transition a bit easier.

A treadmill OTOH is a bit different depending on the model and settings but usually is easier to run on it because the belt allows you to push less (work) than on the road. You can adjust this by increasing the incline. Both (trainer and treadmill) are great tools to get training done when weather or time is a limiter, however there is nothing better than specific training (ride/run outside). Specificty, Specifity, Specifity!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Time vs. Road Time Rss Feed