General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing my First IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-05 12:28 PM

Regular
Quincy
Subject: Choosing my First IM
I was planning on doing a HIM in 09 and a IM in 2010. I had two friends do IM KY and another 2 do IMFL and now think I should just go for the IM in 09. I know that the travel cost and timing are going to be my major reasons for selecting which one to do. I could do a IM hosted by a club that is only 2 hours away. They are a good club and do a nice job of hosting the event. My question is how big of a deal is it to do an official Ironman event versus just a USAT sacntioned IM. The cost and travel would save me a small fortune and timing wise it would work best for me interms of training. I would have to commit sooner for an Ironman event simply because they fill up. The event I am thinking about is the Great Illini.

2008-11-05 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1789584

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Choosing my First IM
There is not going to be an iron distance Great Illini race in 2009 - just a 1/2 and an olympic. Sign up for Louisville!

Edited by maura9900 2008-11-05 12:32 PM
2008-11-05 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

If it makes your decision any easier, General Entry is closed for IMFL for 2009.  As far as M-dot, non-M-Dot, do a search as that conversation comes up all the time.  You can start here

2008-11-05 1:51 PM

User image

Tucson
If you decide to do IMFL don't wear fins during the swim, some guy already tried that.

The races fill up really fast and for most of the races for 09 they are already full. Do your half next year and volunteer at the IM of your choice then you will have a much better chance of getting a slot for 2010.

Kevin
2008-11-08 9:42 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

although genereal entry is closed to both Louisville and IMFL you could still get in with a community slot...more expensive but probably cheeper than flying there and staying for several days to sign up inperson anyway.  Also for IMFL if you do FL 70.3 they have spots of IMFL after the race that youcan get but I'mnot sure about the details RE that.  I'm sure its been posted before so if you have your heart set on one of those races all is not lost.  The upside to the community slots is that they are more transferavle if things don't work out for you.

I have done IMFL twice (2006, 2008) I love the race and I am signed up for 2009.  Logistically it is very easy for me as I live in FL and can drive.  There is TONS of close, cheep lodging available, much of it walking distance from the venue.  This second race was LOADS easier on my folks who are now 70 as they are familiar with the venue now. 

There are pros and cons to each race and venue. Lots of people have a strong desire to do different races in different locations.  I really don't and it just works for me.  I lived in KY for a year and I would never do that race because the weather that time of year is bound to be dreadfully hot and humid.  I'm just not into it.  I have been to IMLP which while beautiful it is hilly (actually mpountainous and I can't train hills where I live) and logistically its a complete nightmare.  I have also been to IMWI which was really nice and has more available housing than IMLP but less than IMFL.  Weather is a crap shoot in WI in sept tho.  You could get 99 and humid or 50 and raining.  I can't train 50 and raining. 

Good luck hope this helps

2008-11-08 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
So your first choice local IM is out, now what?
I'd like to suggest you look at the Ironman Arizona. Historically the weather is ideal in late November, the climate is dry not humid, and the course is flat. On any given day wind could be a factor, but I think you'll see in just a couple weeks (Nov. 23rd) why they moved it from April to late November.
Still, it isn't a lower cost-less travel race... here's a link to other Iron-Distance races.
http://www.trifind.com/iron.html
Good Luck!

2008-11-11 4:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC

klauser, I can tell you Beach 2 Battleship was a great race put on by SetUp Events in NC. We have been told next year the entry number should go up to 750 from 500 for the full and half but no verification of that yet. The temps were colder than normal for Wilmington and still made it up to 71 F during the day but it was chilly at the start, 41 F. Course comparable to IMFl - flat in all aspects except for crossing some bridges on the run.

As mentioned already, you can argue the m-dot vs non m-dot forever. I still did 140.6 miles.

2008-11-12 7:45 AM
in reply to: #1802467

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

I'll agree with Fred and say that B2B was a very well run race and a great race for a first Ironman. My first Ironman was IMWI in 2006 and I can't say enough good things about the experience. The crowd support that comes from the town is unbelievable and you can really draw a lot of energy from crowds like that. I can't remember a time on that run where there wasn't someone cheering you on. I did IMKY this year and will have to say that it is also a great venue. The bike course in KY has to be one of the most scenic on the IM circuit.

I got into IMLP next year through the community fund and justified by figuring it was cheaper than plane tickets for the family to go to any other race. For me that is driving distance and I believe that it will be an annual race for me once I got into it.

Good luck!!

2008-11-12 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1803399

User image

Champion
rstocks3 - 2008-11-12 8:45 AM

I'll agree with Fred and say that B2B was a very well run race and a great race for a first Ironman. My first Ironman was IMWI in 2006 and I can't say enough good things about the experience. The crowd support that comes from the town is unbelievable and you can really draw a lot of energy from crowds like that following Hillary Biscay on the bike for the last 10 miles. I can't remember a time on that run where there wasn't someone cheering you on. I did IMKY this year and will have to say that it is also a great venue. The bike course in KY has to be one of the most scenic on the IM circuit.

I got into IMLP next year through the community fund and justified by figuring it was cheaper than plane tickets for the family to go to any other race. For me that is driving distance and I believe that it will be an annual race for me once I got into it.

Good luck!!

Fixed that for ya...

I've done IMWI and IMKY with Bob and would echo the same things he has said.  From a scenic perspective, I think you can't go wrong with many of the races.  They are great venues with a lot of support from the community.

The other factor to consider is similarity to your training conditions.  If you live in FL, it is difficult to train for a mountainous course.  Also, if you live in Canada, it's difficult to train for the heat and humidity of Kentucky.  I'm not saying that others haven't done it and succeeded, but it just adds another layer of difficulty to the equation.

2008-11-12 3:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
I have to echo the sentiment from Bob and Shaun for IMWI. 2 good friends on my tri team have done the race and just absolutely loved it. Fortunately the weather and terrain is similiar to what we have in NC. The weather is especially close that time of year believe it or not. Unless something drastic happens I am shooting for IMWI in 2010.
2008-11-12 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Do Ironman Louisville.   Yeah it hot and its hilly, but its a great race.  It was my first Ironman and I enjoyed it so much, I signed up for it again.  Plus there are 60+ BTers signed up, so come out and meet some folks.

2008-11-13 9:25 PM

registration for me wasnt closed. but im in the 24-29 age bracket
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing my First IM Rss Feed