General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendations Wanted: First IM Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-11-09 1:17 PM

User image

Simsbury, CT
Subject: Recommendations Wanted: First IM Training Plan

Hi, everyone.

I made the pilgrammage to Lake Placid in the pouring rain this summer, and I have myself a number. I have 15 marathons (3:10 PR) and three HIMs (5:30 PR) under my belt, and I know I can do this. My challenges are time and funding. Specifically, with a demanding job and not a ton of extra cash to hire my own personal coach, I am looking to educate myself on building a relatively sane training program and to get smart on the training periodization process, nutrition, etc. in preparation for next summer.

I have been using the SuperCoach IM plan at the recommendation of a friend, but already I find it a bit beyond my means in terms of time commitment. I just don't have the time to do double workouts three or four times a week, though I can make that type of short-term commitment in the late winter through race day. Am I doomed to deviate from my plan? Is there a better one out there for someone with a decent level of fitness but with other commitments that make 10+-hour-a-week training from the get-go not feasible?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

2008-11-09 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1798249

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Recommendations Wanted: First IM Training Plan

Why not the BT plan??

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?h=1&racetype=1&racesubtype=5&level=-1

I believe a lot of people here have used it to a finish time.

Also, if you join BT with a "Gold" membership you will have access to more plans as well as some online coaching support.  Considering that most plans that you would hire a coach to create one would cost more than the Gold membership, it is definitely worth it!

Oh, and Welcome to BT!!  As someone who "survived" LP and the rain this year I can say that it is by far one of my favorite courses (of any distance).  I'll be up there this year to volunteer and sign up for '10.

2008-11-09 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
I am thinking about using 13 weeks to a 13 hour marathon training plan. You have to have a good base to start it but it is very doable in my mind. I would look into it. I think this is what you are looking for.
2008-11-09 6:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I HIGHLY reccomend the 20 Week Beginner BT Plan.

I used it to a sub 12 Hour first IM race.   If you follow this plan you will be ready to toe the line.

2008-11-09 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1798419

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
moabrunner - 2008-11-09 4:17 PM

I am thinking about using 13 weeks to a 13 hour marathon training plan. You have to have a good base to start it but it is very doable in my mind. I would look into it. I think this is what you are looking for.

I meant 13 weeks to a 13 hour IRONMAN
2008-11-10 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

I'm moving up and doing my first IM this year. I realized that none of the canned plans were going to work for me, based on work and travel committments, so I've developed my own plan for the year based on the methods spelled out in Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible.

It took me between three and four hours to really get things developed, but I'm pretty confident that my plan will work for me, and that it's something I can actually achieve. If you've got issues with one of the canned plans this early, you're going to have major issues later on when the volume builds. I think the best part about building your own plan is you understand the rationale behind what's in there, and know what to adjust when real life interferes with what you were hoping to do.

This experience opened my eyes on the benefits a coach would bring to customizing my training. I think having the coach would be the gold standard, but I think some self-study and individual customization is a close (hopefully) second.

2008-11-10 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Vancouver, WA

I used a training plan out of the book:  Be Iron Fit  by Don Fink

I have been happy with it and felt it was the right program for me.  The book actually has three programs in it.  Just finish, Intermediate and Competitive.

I have 3 young boys and a busy work schedule so I chose the Just finish program.  It is a 30 program that averages 8-10 hours per week.  I added a few hours each week when I could during my peak training.  I feel ready at this point and I felt the plan did a good job of slowly building up my strength and endurance in all three events.

It is taper time for me now with less than two weeks before IMAZ.  I will come back after the race and review my day on the course.

2008-11-12 6:54 PM

Hello Doug -
I used the BT plan and thought it was fine. I had read the Joel Friel training bible first for the theory. If you understand the basics of periodization, volume, frequency, and intensity, then you can safely customize a canned plan for your schedule. Plus you'll sound cool when speaking here. imho, Friel's volume is not for a 1st timer, but an elite level age-grouper or a kona qualifer-type dude.

I searched for other $ plans, but I'm cheap so i went with the free one.

Other sources of info I found valuable: "Going Long" - the Gordo Smith/Friel book. Coach Rick Strauss' articles on IM 'How-To'. I found his insights to be spot on.

You are doomed to deviate from your plan sometime. Hindsight being 20/20, I sweated over sick days, missed workouts, etc. that in the long run took nothing away from my 1st event.

Best of Luck to You & Enjoy Your Training!
cw
2008-11-12 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I used the free BT 20 week plan and it worked fine for me. Of course you will deviate and change it to meet your needs...time, strengths and weaknesses. From your past race (marathon and HIM) results you obviously have the ability to finish and finish well. Try to get the hours in as best you can and don't panic if you have to rearrange or even miss a day here or there.

I am looking at using the SuperCoach IM plan for IMMOO 09. It is a bit more hours but I think my schedule can handle it. I already know I will be adjusting it some though.

Good Luck and welcome to BT.

2008-11-13 2:15 AM

User image

Veteran

I also used the BT 20 week programme but played around a bit with it to make it suit my life.  I will be using it again for my second one!  My 20 weeks starts on Monday!! Yikes.

2008-11-13 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1805800

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
pamiejane - 2008-11-13 2:15 AM

I also used the BT 20 week programme but played around a bit with it to make it suit my life. I will be using it again for my second one! My 20 weeks starts on Monday!! Yikes.

Which race will you be doing?

2008-11-13 3:35 PM
in reply to: #1807105

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I used the BT intermediate plan for my first IM and it served me well.  I won my division even with my slower time (The course was difficult and slow).

I would recommend it.

2008-11-13 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
which ever plan you choose, be sure to pay plenty of attention to your weakness. (obviously not the run)
2008-11-15 1:20 PM

i used the BT inter plan and had a great IM down in Florida.
2008-12-01 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1799219

User image

Simsbury, CT

Thanks for your reply. As the interval between this note and yours shows, I have been "time-challenged" by sickness and busy-ness. I do have a copy of Joe Friel's "Bible" on hand, and I am taking your advice. Any plan will require some customization, but to keep mentally sharp and psychologically in tune, I find that I need to understand the concepts behind each period so I can deal with the big picture and not get concerned about individual workouts.

Best of luck to you in your training. What's your first IM?

Doug

2008-12-01 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1798391

User image

Simsbury, CT

Thanks for the well wishes and advice, Rick.

I apologize for the delay in my response. I have been out lately with a head cold. Better now than in July! I will definitely check out the BT plans, and I hope to have the resources to invest in a personal coach at some point.

Take care,

Doug

2008-12-01 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1798530

User image

Simsbury, CT

Thanks for your note, James. This looks like a reasonable plan, which I can always embellish or dial down, depending on my current situation.

Best,

Doug

2008-12-01 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1807395

User image

Simsbury, CT

Great advice on the weaknesses. Mine are swimming first, then cycling. I have been working the Total Immersion plan, and it's paying dividends already. I feel as though I have discovered a new sport, and that's the best gift of all! I also look forward to building on my indoor miles this winter with my new trainer. I have already ordered the Lake Placid Spinervals DVD!

Take care, and thanks again.

Doug

2008-12-01 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1807157

User image

Simsbury, CT

Good suggestion, one that several members have shared. I will definitely check out the intermediate plan.

Congratulations on the age-group win. That's quite a feat!

Best,

Doug

2008-12-01 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1810181

User image

Simsbury, CT

Thanks for the recommendation, Michele, and congratulations on IMFL! I heard from friends it was a great day.

Best,

Doug

2008-12-01 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1798671

User image

Simsbury, CT

I appreciate your note, Matt. I am training for Lake Placid next July. The 13 for 13 looks like a good plan, definitely one I can follow, and perhaps even embellish if I feel the calling!

I noticed that you are from about an hour from where I grew up. Small world!

Take care,

Doug

2008-12-01 2:42 PM
in reply to: #1805125

User image

Simsbury, CT

Hi, CW.

Thanks for the advice. I have two of Joe Friel's books and am working on a custom plan based on a reasonable periodization plan. I love your philosophy and share it. At least in running I have found that I will deviate from the plan, so if I know my overall goals for each period, I can (A) be okay with the deviation and (B) still stay on track.

Take care,

Doug

2008-12-01 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1805383

User image

Simsbury, CT

Thank you for your advice. You share a common thread which is surprising and refreshing to see: Figure out a plan, but be ready (and okay) to deviate based on real-life needs.

I noticed on your site a link to FCA Endurance. It's one of the groups I have started to get involved in recently as well. I am in Connecticut, which doesn't have much of an FCA footprint. What is your involvement?

In His Adventure,

Doug

2008-12-01 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1799587

User image

Simsbury, CT

Thanks for the recommendation! It seems as though everyone (thankfully) is suggesting a balanced approach, and based on your picture, you certainly show balance in your life!

How did IMAZ go?

Doug

2008-12-01 2:48 PM
in reply to: #1805800

User image

Simsbury, CT

Thanks for the input, and best of luck as you kick into your next 20-week plan!

Best,

Doug

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendations Wanted: First IM Training Plan Rss Feed  

of 2