General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendations Wanted: First IM Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-12-02 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1798249

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Recommendations Wanted: First IM Training Plan
Here's my .02

I have used the BT Beginner 20 week plan for both of my IMs with great success. The reason I love them is because they are built right into BT and you can change them and move the workouts around to suit your life.

As many have already said, understanding what period you're in and what the focus should be is key. Ultimately I've found that time management and organization are critical to being able to make it through the training.

Check out my logs Jan-June for 2007 and 2008 and you'll see the plan and how I adjusted it. For me I made the long bikes longer and dropped swim #3 or 4 each week because 2 swims was much more manageable from a time perspective.

Hope you have a wonderful experience and enjoy the training!

2008-12-02 4:31 PM
in reply to: #1834466

User image

Simsbury, CT

Thanks for the further validation of the BT 20-week plan, Bonnie. I also appreciate the insight into your own modifications of the plan. I will definitely explore it further!

Best,

Doug

2008-12-02 9:35 PM
in reply to: #1798249

User image

Veteran
Visit Endurance Nation. I know it's kind of competing with BT but they have a fantastic approch to training especially for people with a busy life. I purchased their IM plan and looking forward and excited to start training. I had a coach for the last two years too. This will be my third Ironman.

Good luck.

Nathalie
2008-12-03 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1832814

User image

Extreme Veteran
dougcasey - 2008-12-01 3:45 PM

p>I noticed on your site a link to FCA Endurance. It's one of the groups I have started to get involved in recently as well. I am in Connecticut, which doesn't have much of an FCA footprint. What is your involvement?

In His Adventure,

Doug

I am in NW PA and I stay in touch with FCA basically through their Yahoo Group. I get daily email updates on posts there and I have joined the Prayer Team so I get a monthly calendar with prayer requests and different communications. I feel a bit on an island but that little contact is good and I hope to meet other members at races. FCA Endurance usually has a presence at IM races so I am hoping at IMWI I can meet up with others.

2008-12-03 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1799587

User image

Veteran
twocougz - 2008-11-10 11:30 AM

I used a training plan out of the book:  Be Iron Fit  by Don Fink

I have been happy with it and felt it was the right program for me.  The book actually has three programs in it.  Just finish, Intermediate and Competitive.

I have 3 young boys and a busy work schedule so I chose the Just finish program.  It is a 30 program that averages 8-10 hours per week.  I added a few hours each week when I could during my peak training.  I feel ready at this point and I felt the plan did a good job of slowly building up my strength and endurance in all three events.

It is taper time for me now with less than two weeks before IMAZ.  I will come back after the race and review my day on the course.

x2.....I looked at a variety of plans but I used the competitive plan in this book.  It was easy to follow, to the point, and had just enough detail in each plan to get you ready.  Some of the plans out there can be over the top for somebody looking to finish their first IM distance.

2008-12-04 6:12 AM
in reply to: #1807105

User image

Veteran
moabrunner - 2008-11-13 10:14 PM
pamiejane - 2008-11-13 2:15 AM

I also used the BT 20 week programme but played around a bit with it to make it suit my life. I will be using it again for my second one! My 20 weeks starts on Monday!! Yikes.

Which race will you be doing?

I will be doing Ironman South Africa - 5 April 2009

2008-12-08 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1835806

User image

Simsbury, CT

Thanks, Nathalie! Is that endurancenation.com?

-Doug

2008-12-08 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1836667

User image

Simsbury, CT

I'm on an FCA island as well. I spoke with one of the northeast leaders, who lives in the south of Connecticut, about opportunities to serve, and I am just trying to listen to where He's calling me, beyond giving it up in training. I have some causes that I care deeply about and that I think I can promote through FCA to help our brothers and sisters throughout the world. I just need to choose one and run with it!

Take care,

Doug

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recommendations Wanted: First IM Training Plan Rss Feed  

of 2