General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crazy wetsuit question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-03 9:43 AM

New user

Western Virginia
Subject: Crazy wetsuit question
I live in the sticks (Mountians of Va.) and I have never wore a wet suit, never seen anyone wearing a wetsuit, and don’t know anyone who has ever wore a wetsuit.

Here is my question; does a wetsuit keep you dry? Will your shorts under your wetsuit be dry after you take off the suit?

Thanks for the help,

2005-03-03 10:09 AM
in reply to: #124798

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
Subject: RE: Crazy wetsuit question
no, is the short answer - wetsuit = gets wet inside, drysuit = dry inside, but dry suits are for diving. but the wetsuit traps a bit of water in and keeps u warm creating a sandwich with u and the neoprene, so don't be alarmed when it goes in your neck. however, this is why fiot is important as too loose and you will have bags of water in your suit

hope this helps

GN
2005-03-03 10:10 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago

Motobk - 2005-03-03 8:43 AM I live in the sticks (Mountians of Va.) and I have never wore a wet suit, never seen anyone wearing a wetsuit, and don’t know anyone who has ever wore a wetsuit. Here is my question; does a wetsuit keep you dry? Will your shorts under your wetsuit be dry after you take off the suit? Thanks for the help,

Wetsuits will not keep you dry only dry suits keep you dry.  You will be wet under your wetsuit.

2005-03-03 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta

No.  Not being funny but as the name implies it is a "wet"suit.  There is a very thin layer of water between your body and the suit.  Your body heats up this layer of water and it keeps you warm.  It should fit like a second skin. 

I am sure scuba-punk will be along soon to chime in too.

2005-03-03 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Someone called?? From a previous post...

2) Any openings in a wetsuit should be snug. There's a general misconception that a wetsuit keeps you warm by allowing your body to warm up a layer of water between your suit and your skin. That's half right. The important thing is to limit the flow of water through the suit. Loose opening and 'pockets' where the suit does not fit snugly against your body will act like a pump and constantly move water through the suit. That's bad. Your body ends up spend a lot of energy to heat the water that is constantly be 'changed over.'

Yes, you will be wet under it. If you want to stay dry go with a drysuit, but they really aren't meant for freestyle swimming... at all. Besides, the water-proof spacesuit zipper on most drysuits cost way more than a whole wetsuit does

-Frank
2005-03-03 10:59 AM
in reply to: #124815

User image

Elite
Chicago
atree - 2005-03-03 9:17 AM

No.  Not being funny but as the name implies it is a "wet"suit.  There is a very thin layer of water between your body and the suit.  Your body heats up this layer of water and it keeps you warm.  It should fit like a second skin. 

I am sure scuba-punk will be along soon to chime in too.

Yep that's right.  The water trapped inside the wetsuit keeps you warm.  Your body initially warms up the water in the wetsuit and then as your body cools the water transfers the heat back to your body.

Water holds heat much longer than air does and that's what makes it work.

2005-03-03 11:07 AM

New user

Western Virginia
Thanks for the help, I am going into this whole Tri thing blind. I don't know anyone who has ever done anything like this.
So any and all advice is appreciated! I am sure between now and the end of June I will post more stupid questions as they come along.
2005-03-03 12:44 PM

New user

Western Virginia
I am trying to do a Sprint Tri for as cheap as possible. I have a $70.00 bike from K-mart, $15.00 Bike Helmet from Toys R Us, and a pair of $45.00 rebooks from a local shoe store.

I have seen a wetsuit for sale for $30.00. I also have a gift certificate to a local sporting goods store. Could I buy the suit and use the gift certificate to get a pair of Nike Dri shorts or Under Armour shorts to wear under the suit?

All I have is baggy swim shorts. I am thinking they will take too long to dry and don’t want to bike/run in soaking wet, heavy shorts. Would the Nike or Under Armour dry faster/be more comfortable?

Does this make sense?
2005-03-03 1:06 PM
in reply to: #124915

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

If you keep an eye out for sales, you can probably get tri shorts (which you can do all 3 in comfortably) for only slightly more than the UA shorts. Look for DeSoto, which is generally cheaper and they're good shorts.

Be careful with those running shoes. Shoes that don't really match your biomechanics are a recipe for injury.

2005-03-03 9:11 PM
in reply to: #124915

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US

• .. first of all... don't buy just an inexpensive wetsuit... the wetsuit needs to be swim specific wetsuit (no diving or surfer wetsuits)... anything less is a waste of many no matter how cheap it is.... the key is wetsuit fit... if it doesn't fit well... again, it would be a waste and you would be better of not wearing a wetsuit.

• Buy a tri-suit, pair of zoomer shorts or even a pair of speedo's... in some instances they are cheaper than the Under Armour and will have the same characteristics and more suitable for triathlon.

Joe Moya
    2005-03-03 10:09 PM
    in reply to: #124852

User image

Expert
    Durham, CA
    Motobk - 2005-03-03 8:07 AMThanks for the help, I am going into this whole Tri thing blind. I don't know anyone who has ever done anything like this. So any and all advice is appreciated! I am sure between now and the end of June I will post more stupid questions as they come along.
    Talk to someone who has done this tri - or ask the organizer (who ever is putting on the race) what the water temperature will be. You may not even need a wet suit.Dennis

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crazy wetsuit question Rss Feed