General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swiming mass start question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-05 9:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain
Subject: Swiming mass start question
I've heard horror stories about the mass starts in swimming. One friend says she finally swam over to the side (they were swimming around a lake) and walked in the water making swimming motions with her arms and she is a swimmer and I'm not!! People have also told me to learn to breath on both sides so I can (I suppose) breath where the air is if someones drowning me on one side. So what is the reality like?

Thanks,

Annie
A concerned and singularly non bouyant human

2004-03-05 9:55 PM
in reply to: #10793

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: RE: Swiming mass start question
Hehe, i know what you mean. im doing my first triathlon in two weeks and i have heard many stories from my friend who is an open water swimmer. From his descriptions the start is just a brawl to to get off the line, and his training includes different methods to win the brawl such as swimming with closed fists, holding peoples legs etc etc. so if any one would care to clear up these myths (well i hope they are myths ) it would be very much appreciated

aidan
2004-03-06 2:06 AM

User image

Veteran
It just depends on what your goals are. If you want to win the race, you will want to start right up front and fight to stay there. If you are just looking to finish, start at the back and to the outside. There will be fewer people and they are less agresive. You are bound to bump into people at some point. Just slow down and make small adjustments, so you don't do it again. Good luck, and just take it easy. Nobody is trying to hurt you. They just want to make it to the bike also.

2004-03-06 2:17 AM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Yes, I tend to start toward the back, and though I've done several tri's, I haven't had a duke it out contest. Twice, I've gotten slight cuts from other peoples fingernails, but nothing horrible.

The one thing that I need to get over, is that every time I bump somebody, I stick up my head and say 'sorry!' Really must train myself out of that!!

In other words, Annie--don't worry too much about it, but try to stay away from those who are trying to aggressively take their start.

I've made it to the bike every time!! And I speak as one is not especially bouyant!

Dana
2004-03-06 7:37 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
i don't think you'll experience people holding legs or swimming w/closed fists, however be prepared to make a mad dash from the start for the first 100 meters if you want to position yourself to be competitive against the field. during a swim workout, practice a 100 meter med-sprint followed by a stretched out stroke to regain normal tempo.
2004-03-06 9:15 AM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain
Thanks to all of you for the information. I'd been considering asking everyone in the pool to get in my lane and beat on me as I swim (no doubt instantly earning myself a reputation at the rec center for being pretty strange.) I'm probably like Dana, pick my head up and say sorry if I run into someone, and this attitude is a bit mismatched with someone who is swimming with closed fists and grabbing my legs. It sounds like I can find some non-bouyant biddies, like me, at the back of the pack.

Annie

2004-03-06 9:42 AM

Dana also brings up a good point about fingernails ---- trim them! This will also help those who use wetsuits put them on better and without tearing them.

Back of the pack for me -- I'm a "finisher" rather than a "winner in the number one spot". I think it was Michael who gave the tip about starting your swim to the outside of the pack then heading toward the first buoy and continuing on the course. I think you avoid the big number of swimmers that way and can get to your pace.

Nancy

2004-03-07 8:50 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Starting on the outside and swimming to the first buoy is what works for me.  I learned this from a pro at a class that I went to. According to him the distance was not that much greater and you would have clean water.
2004-03-07 9:15 PM

User image

Regular
Boston, MA
I have never experienced the closed fists and leg holding. The kicks and scratches are part of the rush. Two basic ideas:
1. Start towards the back of the pack or the out side.
2. Go for broke and sprint the start. If you do this you will be swimming over people and people will be swimming on top of you. The longer you can hold the sprint, the less people you will encounter. Before you know it you will be all set.

In general no one is out there to hurt anyone. As listed above, breathing on both sides is critical. You will always have someone constantly splashing your "prefered" breathing side.
Since this is your first tri watch out for the swim to bike transition. If you are not that strong of a swimmer you will be light headed and off balance for the first couple of minutes on the bike (that is when you might just topple over like I did). Good luck
2004-03-07 9:34 PM

My somewhat light headedness came just as I stood up near the beach at the end of the swim. So for my third and last tri I stood still there for just about 5-10 seconds and I was able to regain my equilibrium. So now that will be part of the swim leg for me. The amount of time I lose is negligible for my goals.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swiming mass start question Rss Feed