Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-11-15 12:13 AM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Subject: Doc said, "no triathlons"

Hi:

I'm new and have entered into the NYC tri for next July.  I was about to sign up with TNT for the May Wildflower to get my "feet" wet with an excellent coaching program (and at the same time raise money for a good cause) when I encountered some mild knee pain.

A little background:  I am a woman in early thirties.  I used to weigh 340 pounds (May 2007) - developed severe asthma - so decided to improve cardio.  Started at the gym doing weights and cardio five days a week - then upped it to 7 - and now at advice of trainer down to 6.  I now weigh 153 pounds.  I have fallen in love with health and fitness and am studying to be a personal trainer.  My clinical depression has really improved.  Anyway, I was making an appointment to see a sports nutritionist due to my high level of training (~14 hours/week - spinning/swimming/lifting/kickboxing/running/core strength classes/etc. etc.) and she said, "why?  Are you training for a triathlon or something?"  I said, "No."  She said, "Well you just need a regular nutritionist."  Then I thought, "Why AREN'T I training for a triathlon.  I love to swim."  And here I am...

Anyway, I recently developed mild knee pain so I went to an orthopedist here in the city (my coworkers doctor).  He looked at my knee and said I had "Kneecap irritation"  (aka runner's knee).  I am the type, if you can't tell, who - when she sets her mind to it goes allllllllll out.  I am new to sports and fitness so do not really know what I am doing.  This isn't good.  So I decided to just start running.  And run some more.  And run some more.  You know where I am going with this.  Last week I decided to run almost everywhere  I went (like to church, etc.(WITH my heavy backpack on).  Um......... wow - now my knees hurt. How did that happen? 

Figuring that my knees were important, I went to see the orthopedist.  Now this isn't the first time I've seen him.  I saw him earlier this year because my knee hurt and he said it was no big deal and it went away in a week.  However, this time he says, "I do not recommend you doing triathlons.  Triathlons are not for you.  You can maybe swim or bike in the gym, but triathlons - no good."  Boy did my heart sink.  I told him I overtrained and overused and that was the reason for my knee pain. 

I was about ready to give up and go into a depressive funk until I read a lot of your archived posts about people with alllllllllllllll sorts of injuries who just recover and go on.

Since I am a novice who obviously doesn't know what she's doing - this is one reason I had decided (pre-orthopedist visit) to train with Team in Training.  I met one of their tri coaches at an info session  who has been doing this for 28 years and he even told me that for people like me (the gung ho exercise maniacs) that he would make me do less than what I am already doing and "refocus" my training.

Anyway, I have decided - no running until after the first of the year - ice - and work on my swimming and strengthen my quads.  I signed up for Pilates on the Reformer at my gym and may pay a trainer to help me with leg strengthening and maybe I need to visit my old PT (who helped me with plantar fasciatis in the past) to help me out.

But I wanted to get your feedback.  I am thinking of going to another orthopedist for a second opinion.  Do doctors really come right out and just say "no you cant do that"?  I was pretty bummed.  He just told me to ice my knees after working out and use NSAIDs.  Not much help.

sigh.  I guess i need encouragement - or discouragement maybe - or both? :-)

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Danett 

2008-11-15 12:41 AM
in reply to: #1809832

User image

Veteran
Surf City USA Huntington Beach, Calif.
Subject: RE: Doc said, "no triathlons"
Having been accident prone my whole life and an often injured athlete I have learned at least 1 thing about Docs. Those without a sports background will often say "avoid the thing that makes it hurt." It is a simple solution to them but to those of us who thrive on the training, we don't want to hear that. There may be a solutuion via surgery or therapy.

I would recommend doing some research. Find a doc who specializes in the type of injury that you might have, be sure he has a background in sports medicine, and get a few references.
He might ultimately tell you what you don't want to hear but you won't rest easy until who have a qualified person telling you what you have and why you should avoid the activity.

Edited by Modie 2008-11-15 12:44 AM
2008-11-15 5:15 AM
in reply to: #1809844

User image

Veteran
New York, New York

Thanks so very much for the advice.  I do want a second opinion.  Funny thing is - he took X-rays, looked at the X-rays and then said that there was nothing wrong with my knee.  I have "irritation" (Runner's knee) and am supposed to ice it and use anti inflammatories.

I didn't find him very helpful.  I had to call him back later after I left to find out if there was a treatment for it - which at THAT time he said it was strengthening the leg muscles.

Sigh.

I do thrive on the training. :-)

Thanks!

Danett

2008-11-15 5:27 AM
in reply to: #1809885

User image

Veteran
Hi Danett

I can't offer any help w/ runner's knee, just wanted to congratulate you on your AMAZING turnaround in lifestyle and loss of the 200#. That is incredible. I echo the advice of finding a supportive doctor. I'm about 20 years older than you are, and I will tell you that my 50-70 YO friends and I are hurting stuff all the time - knees, hips, shoulders, backs, necks - and I think we've all fired doctors who advise "growing up" and leaving sport to youngsters. In most cases, these types of injuries involve some rest, adjustments to training and some strengthening exercises, but not retirement from sport. Find yourself a competent sports med doc. Good luck w/ the triathlon!
2008-11-15 6:30 AM
in reply to: #1809885

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Get a second opinion, and a third if need be.  I would ask the doctor who discourages any activity if it would be better for your overall health if you were 340 again with a coach potato lifestyle.

Better to be active and need a knee replacement than sedentary and a healthy knee replacement.

With that said, quit running with your backpack on, and start a training plan that allows you to "build up your base" which means building your leg strength and cardio.  That would involve a lot of shorter runs for an extended period of time.

2008-11-15 6:32 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Wow, what a great story and your endless discipline to lose that weight will make you a great triathlete! Now, for the knee:

Find an ortho with a sports background. Ask around, find others who do the sport. Finding one with a sports background will help set you up on a realistic plan to get you back to running. It does NOT mean you cannot do triathlons. Also, taking a whole year off might be too much as well.

My personal experience:
I developed a knee issue a couple months before my first marathon. I went to an ortho who basically told me I wasn't made to run and shouldn't. He even wanted me to have surgery! I was heartbroken to say the least. On the advice of a friend, I went to someone else. His prescription: take a couple weeks off, ice, anti inflammatories, start back slowly, and you know what? I was fine and did the marathon with no pain!

Made it through the next year runnning 2 more marathons and then an ironman. With NO KNEE PAIN! However, I did get a coach and told him I was prone to knee injuries.

After losing more weight and gaining speed during IM training, I was a little overambitious. A couple weeks after the IM I tried to PR a race and severly aggravated my IT band. I took a month off, it wasn't better. I went back to the ortho (I call him the 'good one') he got me through 1 more marathon-I had to do it, had registered a year before-and then I was out of running for about 3 months. This time required some PT but I was back running, a mile at a time.

That was almost 3 years ago. I haven't had any knee pain since. I now have learned how much and how hard I can take running to avoid injury. It does not mean you cannot run.

Some things I suggest:
1. find another dr.
2. keep finding one until you get one who understands
3. PT might be a good idea
4. get a coach. Get one who can spend some time understanding your knee issue so you can get a customized plan to keep running at a lower volume and slowly build up. I think this is very important.

This does not mean you'll never be able to run again! Hang in there, be persistent!

2008-11-15 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York

Wow!

I first want to thank everyone for their support, encouragement, compliments and advice.  This board seems to consist of a bunch of just great helpful people.

I went to the gym this morning and just did weights.  No cardio.  And now I am resting and about to take a nap.  It is weird not spending all day Saturday at the gym, but to be honest, I am really enjoying it and even got my grocery shopping done already.  I must have really needed the break.  I plan to lap swim a slow mile tomorrow and perhaps do some lower body weights for my poor legs, and that's it.

billcobit: thanks so much for the compliment.  It is very encouraging.  I get discouraged at times like these but it helps to have it recognized how far I have come.  It makes me feel better and like I CAN do anything.  Including recover from an injury!

pga_mike: I kept thinking about your comment in the car this morning - that it is better to be healthy and active and have a bum knee than to be a 340 pound couch potato with a bad knee.  This way, I get to inspire and motivate people and help and encourage them (I get a whole lot of questions from people about how to lose weight in a "healthy way" or "what are you eating?"  :-)  This is one reason I want to become a trainer.  Thank you very much for giving me something to think upon.

Comet:  Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for sharing your story.  (And wow - you are an ironman!) That really inspires me.  I was so down and out like you said.  I couldn't believe that he said "triathlons are not for you."  He made it sound like I could putter around the gym but really couldn't do anything strong.  Me!  -who works out five hours on Saturday - going from swim to kickboxing to spin to weights.  Me! - who busts her butt waking up at 4:45 a.m. every morning to get to the gm so that I can put in time and do my workouts.  It was incredibly discouraging and worse is that this doctor knows that I used to be really heavy.  I am not crazy - before even embarking on this "triathlon thing" I got a clearance from my primary care doctor who did a complete physical.  SHE was very happy about my weight loss, very very happy about my fitness goals, was grateful that all of the fitness activities were easing the depression, and was completely encouraging about the whole thing.  This guy - he says "Its good that you came down...but........."   Oh my gosh!

It sounds like you had a somewhat similar experience with that first doctor who told you you were not made for running.  How horrible.  It seems that the consensus on here is that I need a second and third opinion so that is what I have decided to do.  There is a doctor who is the official orthopedist for the New York Knicks who actually accepts my insurance.  I plan to see if I can try to get an appointment.

You know everyone, this morning I talked to my friend at the gym - a very experienced masters trainer (she trains other trainers and administers the exams) - who has a ton of experience working with "special populations" (like people with muscular dystrophy, etc.)  and even she said to go to THREE doctors.  She said that runner's knee and various strains and pulls were just all part of the sport and told me to go home and ice and elevate my knee.   She said she had been doing this for YEARS (she has even trained celebrities) and she told me that what the doctor said was ridiculous.  I am now really encouraged and feel like I can definitely recover from this injury.

I spent a few hours combing through old threads on this site last night and have gleaned the following information:

(1)  It is really bad to run with a backpack on.

(2) I need new shoes!  This morning already I went and put on new shoes with my orthotic (I think I mentioned the old plantar fasciatis).  Wow - I already felt better!  I failed to mention that the shoes that I was running in were two years old.  And that since I lost all that weight I also lost a shoe size - so they were also too big.  This makes me even more angry with that doctor.  He did not mention anything about shoes, or leg elevation or physical therapy or anything.  Just "no triathlons."  Wow!

(3) That I really need to rest.   I went and bought the triathlete's bible and read about "periodization."  I, the overzealous novice, have really been lacking in the 'rest and recovery' area.  This past summer alone I probably lost 45 pounds because I was hitting it hard seven days a week.  Apparently doing seven hard days for two months straight really burned me out.  I read on here about overtraining last night which I am certain I do.  I cannot sleep longer than six hours now and there are more than a few mornings where I do not really want to get up and go to the gym.  And look - now I am injured.

(4) That I cannot increase what I do by more than 10% each week - and that I need to build a base.

(5) That I need a coach.  This is a big reason why I want to do Team in Training.  They provide coaching for 5-6 months and I could get one Spring tri under my belt before the intimidating New York City tri.

(6) That I really need to s-t-r-e-t-c-h.

So it seems that the recipe for non-injury and being a successful triathlete = rest, recovery, proper nutrition, building slow, good coaching and well fitted and proper equipment. 

Thank you everyone for being so very helpful and encouraging me.  I struggle with clinical depression, which even though is a lot better, gets triggered easily by really discouraging people like that doctor.  I need thicker skin.

I hope everyone has a great day.

with care,

Danett 

2008-11-15 1:32 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Congratulations on that amazing weight loss.  Losing that much weight the old fashioned way with sweat and a sound diet pays off.

I'd stick to the plan.  No running for a while, some PT perhaps to strengthen the ligaments around the knee.  Keep up with everything else.  Do the traning with TNT to follow a sensible plan.  If you're still in pain you may need to go back to the doc--but he'll probably only rehash his "NO TRIATHLON" thing.  Find a sports med doc, you may find more support for training.

2008-11-15 4:09 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Shoes?! Yes!

You need a pair JUST for running and then a general trainer shoe for the gym! This is important! Go to a real running store and get fitted. Don't wear them to the gym. Also ask the running store for suggestions for doctors, they usually have customers who are doctors! This is a great way to find one.

And other thing, the first Dr. I went to, the bad one, was the ortho for the Atlanta pro hockey team. I was pissed that he said what he did. The more I think about it, he is used to dealing with elite athletes so it was easier for him to tell me, you're not good enough to run. I can now run a 5k in 21min. So, keep getting opinions if the Knicks guy doesn't work out.

2008-11-15 6:54 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
What Haley (comet) said..get another opinion preferably from someone who is sports trained.  You can look for someone in your area at  http://www.sportsmed.org  Get some coaching..the new shoes are GOOD.  You need some rest...you will get there Have faith
2008-11-15 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York

comet and socks: thank you again for the encouragement!  I am trying to remember it today as I ice my knees.  Today I sported a new pair of New Balance 1010s for the cross training.  But now I get to go shopping later this week for a new pair of running shoes as well.

I feel like an idiot.

Anyway, comet thank you so much for letting me know that your first doctor was an athletic team guy - that way I can be prepared if this guy says the same thing as the last guy.  I am hoping not because the Knicks guy came highly recommended by a friend who said he really listens and his online reviews are all quite excellent. 

Off to bed go I as I need to rest up for an easy swim tomorrow.

Danett 

2008-11-16 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
i developed a little runner's knee, and i got a patteller (sp?) strap at k-mart for $13 that has helped a lot.  it is just a band with a circular, harder band that sits under you kneecap and helps the knee track properly.  it has helped a lot!  i dont' think i need to wear it anymore, but i do anyways, just in case Surprised
2008-11-16 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1810713

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
dbw27 - 2008-11-15 11:31 PM

comet and socks: thank you again for the encouragement!  I am trying to remember it today as I ice my knees.  Today I sported a new pair of New Balance 1010s for the cross training.  But now I get to go shopping later this week for a new pair of running shoes as well.

I feel like an idiot.

Anyway, comet thank you so much for letting me know that your first doctor was an athletic team guy - that way I can be prepared if this guy says the same thing as the last guy.  I am hoping not because the Knicks guy came highly recommended by a friend who said he really listens and his online reviews are all quite excellent. 

Off to bed go I as I need to rest up for an easy swim tomorrow.

Danett 

Go to a running store to get fitted.  SOunds like you are in NYC?  Try Jordan Metzel at HSS...he is a multiple ironman athelte and a sports med doc primary care.  He writes the sports med column for triathlete mag.  OR Jo Hannafin also at HSS...she is ortho sports med.  OR Dana Mannor ortho sports med..she is in NYC but in private practice I'm not sure where. 

2008-11-16 9:11 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
You have an awesome story, and I'll be excited to read your first race report!

I've been told not to run anymore and I have decided not to run (my decision), due to knee problems, but I will not give up triathlons. I'll walk the run part. I know I'll always be in the back of the pack, but it's important enough for me to just do them, even if I'm slow.

You have gotten through so much already that a tri should be no problem now that you have some direction and advice. I agree with the people above: find a doctor or physical therapist who will work with you to reach your goals, not squash your goals. Try to get into the sports medicine side of the ortho office, not the geriatric side. What may seem like a sport-ending injury is probably fixable to some degree.

I use a patellar strap and insoles now just to be able to walk without pain, and I do PT every day, but now I can walk. So, don't give up. If you get a bad report, deal with the information, but find someone who will get you back on your feet. Your attitude is great and your eagerness to learn is terrific. If you have too much energy and your coach won't let you overtrain, volunteer at races and be an encourager. You'll get more than you give.

Go for it, and best wishes in all you do!
2008-11-17 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
WOW!!! What an inspiring story. I hear on the doc thing. I've been to a podiatrist for foot/ankle pain and asked if I'd be able to run a half marathon next year. I basically said there was no physical way I could run with my overpronation with out risking great injury. But it wa s a quick exam and he didn't even take xrays. Went to an PT for more orthotics and he seemed to be much more knowledgable. He's an athlete and even gave me some exercises to strengthen my calves and tendons. Haven're really run since September, but you've inspired me to look into that half marathon again
2008-11-17 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York

Hi!

Thanks everyone for your continuing encouragement.  I have been icing my knee twice a day and taking the anti-inflammatories and it does feel better.

Thanks Socks for the doctor tip!  I have an appointment to see Dr. Metzel this upcoming Thursday. However, I am nervous because it is sort of intimidating.  I wonder if as a "famous" person he actually spends time with his patients?

I was referred by Dr. Hannafin's practice to this person: http://www.hss.edu/physicians_strickland-sabrina.asp

I'msondering if it would be better for me to see someone specializing in female athletes.  I am told that she spends one-half hour with each of her patients.  Hmm....

Spokane: I am so sorry that you have had to go through so much just to get to a point to walk without pain.  You sound so very determined and that is inspirational to me.  I hadn't even thought of volunteering, but now that you mention it . . .  You're right - I do not have to stay completely out of sport - I can always volunteer.

jenni: That's really horrible that that doc didn't even take Xrays.  I don't understand how doctors can be so -- callous - to see you so quickly - not even conduct the proper diagnostic to treat you - but then can crush your dreams by saying - "no running", etc.  - when they didn't even conduct the proper exam in the first place!

I am glad to see you found a helpful PT - I hope you can find a good sports doctor so maybe you can get back in the mix of things.  Thank you for your encouragement. :-)

I wish everyone well and happy recovery!

Danett 

2008-11-17 10:09 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

WOW! Way to go...

You sound a little like me... about this time last year I went from not running to ramping it up SERIOUSLY and got runners knee... funny that huh???  

I saw a sports physio who checked out my running form and all the muscle imbalances and while its taken time the PT, getting orthotics (which has also fixed my PF), new shoes from a proper running store and now Im back up 'running' 

I say running in commas because Im using walk run and focusing on running with better technique (I used to run ON MY TOES) and now Im relearning from scratch how to run heel toe like a normal person. 

The sports physio initially said to me you have really bad biomechanics and you are NOT designed to run. If you were not into being an athlete I Would tell you do find a different sport and just swim and cycle... but so far so good... Im still on the getting it together again path but just running without pain which is what i seem to be doing some of at the moment is an awesome experience!! 

See a good doc, find out the root of your problem and work on a solution. Dont be scared of taking it slowly as this is a long term journey. You WILL need to accept if you are training with a group etc that sometimes they may be doing things the in the interest of your long term sport and fitness goals you cannot do right now while yuo rehad your injury but you WILL be able to go later and even better. 

The thing with injuries is if you treat them right in the beginning they are much less likely to hang around and haunt you in the years to come!

Best of Luck 

Cat

2008-11-18 12:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Surf City USA Huntington Beach, Calif.
I should have mentioned this in my first reply.I have never been a great distance runner myself due to calf and knee irritation. I ended up buying a pair of running tights (compression pants) from CWX. They have built in support in areas for knees and calves. I have found them tremendously helpful with knee pain and calf fatigue. I do not know what your feeling but for me, I do not run without them.
2008-11-18 4:19 AM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York

Hi cat:

You do sound a loooooooooot like me. :-) but WOW it took you a year to recover?!  How bad was your runner's knee?  I went to the doctor after it hurt for about four days.  Right now it doesn't hurt and last night I walked 40 blocks no problem, but I am afraid to run.  I am hoping I caught it "early."  I already wear orthotics which help a lot.  My knees feel "sore" sometimes.  However, I am stretching every morning when I wake.  Today it feels better.  I have been icing twice a day and doing the anti inflammatories.  Today is yet ANOTHER swim *sigh*

I KNOW that I have bad running form; I've never done it!  I'm hoping that TNT will help. 

modie: thanks for the word on the compression pants.  I do not feel alone in my running problems. I have to check those out!

Thanks again everyone.  Have a great day.

Danett

2008-11-18 4:31 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Umm yeah it took me a year but only because I had other things going on so dont worry Im sure it wont take you as long!

If you focus on it etc it will be fine - Im basically going through the 'learn to run' process now that the physio was talking about doing in February if I wasnt battling other health and life stuff. 

Sounds like you are doing some good things - talk to a sports doc and see what they suggest as the next steps. FWIW I recommend a gait/run analysis with a physio/sports doc as thats what helped to pinpoint a lot of my issues and made me feel like they knew what was going on as they had SEEN me running which caused the issue in the first place!

Best of luck!

PS: Compression is awesome... I have just got the socks nad calf guards but they have been so great Im moving on to the tights when I have the cash for it!

Edited by kaqphin 2008-11-18 4:33 AM
2008-11-18 11:37 PM
in reply to: #1813948

User image

Veteran
New York, New York

I'm sorry.  Could you tell me what a physio is?  Do you mean exercise physiologist?

Thanks.

Danett :-)

2008-11-19 12:30 AM
in reply to: #1816106

User image

Champion
Sydney
dbw27 - 2008-11-19 4:37 PM

I'm sorry.  Could you tell me what a physio is?  Do you mean exercise physiologist?

Thanks.

Danett :-)

Hey - physiotherapist... maybe they are called something else in the US? 

2008-11-19 6:34 AM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York

Hi!

Maybe in America it is a "physical therapist."  Is that what you  mean?  :-)  Someone who treats muscular injuries?

Hmm.. what country are you in? Now I am curious.

Danett 

2008-11-19 7:36 AM

User image

Expert

Maybe try an Aquathon, just a swim and bike till your ready to add the run portion. They are usually are scheduled during a tri. but you stop after the bike.  You still get to race and get the tshirt. And most people have no idea what aquathons are, great conversation piece as well. 

Good luck to you.

2008-11-19 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Your doc is wrong and you are amazing. Keep it up!

You've gotten all kinds of great advice already (I love the people on BT ), so the only thing I will add is get this book: Pain Free by Pete Egoscue. You can pick it up at Amazon or any other bookstore.

Read the introduction first and then go to the chapter that deals specifically with your current issue (knees). You may want to read the whole thing as I did because I found it fascinating.

One thing that traditional doctors seem to focus on (to our detriment) is just the area that is a problem, but often don't consider underlying causes that need to be addressed.

Anyway, I have used this book as a reference for years. I have been injury free for about a year (a brief bout of patella tendonitis last winter), and when I am well I continue with the maintenance "e-cises" nearly every morning. This, I believe, has truly helped keep my body healthy. The bonus is all the exercises are easy and require no special equipment (a pillow, stair, block, wall, that's it). You may even find that you can eventually get rid of supportive devices like orthotics (I got rid of mine and only needed to use a patella strap briefly last year).

Good luck on your continued journey to triathlon!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doc said, "no triathlons" Rss Feed  

of 2