General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Trainers with ability to record power (watts) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-15 11:06 AM

User image

Regular
Rowan University - Health & Exercise Science Major
Subject: Indoor Trainers with ability to record power (watts)

Hello,

I wanted a power meter for the holiday's but they are simply to much money and beginning my clinical practice after the holidays, i will be making little funds and wont be able to meet the difference.  So i've changed gears, looking to see if there are indoor trainers that have the ability to track power and the other things as well.

I know that computrainer has this ability but that is way more then i need, i dot need to have a course in front of me on my comp tracking my every move, just something simple that is cheaper then a power meter but has the same functions, while attached to an indoor trainer.

I'm not sure what these cost, and still might be to far out of the price range, but well see!

Thanks

2008-11-15 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1810078

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Indoor Trainers with ability to record power (watts)

Cheapest option for power is getting a Power Tap and then you can have power both indoor and outdoor. I got mine for about $750 two years ago from Performance Bike with a 20% off coupon and 10% rebate towards future purchase. At the time is listed for $1000.

Trainers that measure power are expensive and I wouldn't suggest paying almost as much as a PM but only being able to use it inside. I think computrainers are in the same ball park as PM.

Now that Sarris is moving all to wireless I bet there are lots of good deals on Ebay on PMs. I bought Zipp 404s with Power Tap hub with the full set up for a great price last summer.

2008-11-15 12:05 PM

User image

Well, it's probably not lab test perfect but if you get a Kurt Kinetic trainer and the computer for it, it shows watts too. That's about $300 total.
2008-11-15 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Tacx Flow trainer approaches the functionality of a CT much more than a Kinetic because it not only measures watts but has an ergo feature.  Granted, the accuracy of the Tacx may not approach the CT, but as long as your calibrating and measuring watts consistently throughout the winter as you get fitter it will give you what you need and can measure improvement in a relative sense. This is the 3rd winter with mine and I like it.  I also have an Ergomo Pro pm on my bike and much of the time the watts reading on the Tacx are reasonably close to the Ergomo.   Good luck.

Edited by Birkierunner 2008-11-15 12:33 PM
2008-11-15 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1810117

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

DanielG - 2008-11-15 1:05 PM Well, it's probably not lab test perfect but if you get a Kurt Kinetic trainer and the computer for it, it shows watts too. That's about $300 total.

I have a KK with the watt meter - it gives a reasonable, simulated power reading based on the KK power resistance curve which is supposed to mimic road riding, but by no means is it an accurate power meter. However, it will work for giving you a baseline and reference point to compare your fitness/power gains to.  I believe the meter retails for around $50-$60 but I've seen them for $30, and they are only compatable with the Kurt Kinetic line of trainers (you can't use it for road riding) but for under $50, a pretty cool gizmo.

2008-11-15 5:54 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
I totally agree with Birkierunner. I personally use an SRM Pro and a Computrainer Lab. My wife has a Tacx Flow and for her needs it is perfect. I once asked her if she was interested in a CT and she said "no", cuz the Flow did everything she needed. I had the previous version of the Flow (Excel) and loved it at the time.

2008-11-15 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
I too love my Flow and I have a PowerTap as well.  I like that with the flow you can set a specific wattage and your resistance will change based on your cadence to keep the watts up.  It's great for intervals!
2008-11-15 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
cheapest way to get power is on a trainer. Nashbar makes one called the Fluid Watt Master trainer. Currently goes for $299 at nashbar.com Some BT member owns an online bike shop based in Michigan and sells the Kurt Kinetic trainer with optional power meter for cheaper than that. I don't know they link, tho. Of course, that doesn't give you wattage on the road, but for training on a budget, it's a good deal. I don't have one yet. It's on my wish list, but I have kids in college, so...sigh.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Trainers with ability to record power (watts) Rss Feed