General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DeSoto T1 Two-Piece Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-04 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: DeSoto T1 Two-Piece

You know, it's a mere 35 days and some change before IMAZ, and I still don't won a wetsuit.  My interest of late has been piqued by the DeSoto T1 Black Pearl wetsuit.  It's a two piece suit.  Does anyone have any experiences, positive or negative with DeSoto's suits?

www.t1wetsuits.com

Gracias.

2005-03-04 9:47 AM
in reply to: #125281

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: DeSoto T1 Two-Piece

I have the prior model to the pearl, the t1 full sleeve, and I like it.  The only draw back I feel is, since it is two piece, I feel it's a tad bit slower to remove as opposed to a one piece.  However, I like the option that I can just buy the another top or a short sleeve top without having to purchase the whole suit.  Also, the two piece is good if a person is "top heavy" or "bottom heavy" and need to get two different sizes.

And if you are male, you have easier access to you know what, so you can adjust it better.

2005-03-04 10:21 AM

Dearborn, MI
I have the older two piece as well. I like it too. If you are disporpotional in anyway, you can buy two different sizes for the top and bottom. I have real long legs so this was a benefit. Like most wetsuits, proper fit is key, especially in the shoulders.

I say go for it.

Chris
2005-03-04 1:37 PM

User image

St. George, UT
I have the two peice, full sleeve top (T1) and First Wave bottom. I just got the suit and haven't swam in it yet, but I was very impressed with the company and in fact just ordered more gear from them. I think the benefits of the two piece design far outweigh any drawbacks. There's also a video on their website demonstrating how to properly remove the top, showing that it can be done as fast, or faster, than a one piece design.
2005-03-04 5:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
The full T1 is one of the most comfortable wetsuits I own... it is definately my choice for long course triathlons. However, I don't prefer the T1 for short course triathlons because it is too difficult to remove. I prefer the Piel for sprint distances... For middle distances (i.e., oly or ID's), I use the T1 with zipper.

Overall, the T1 provides the broadest range of fit options... and, as a result the comfort level is very good.

FWIW Joe Moya
2005-03-05 12:46 AM

I am planning on purchasing the Black Pearl but I cannot decide if I want the zipper or zipperless model. Any input?

2005-03-05 1:04 AM
in reply to: #125701

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA

I personally have a zipper with mine.  Just trying to take it off in the living room without even coming off a swim, is pretty tiring. 

If money is not a factor, I would go with zipper.  Because if you want to take it off like it's zipperless, than just don't unzip the zipper, but at least you have that option. 

tritank12 - 2005-03-04 9:46 PM I am planning on purchasing the Black Pearl but I cannot decide if I want the zipper or zipperless model. Any input?

2005-03-05 8:01 AM
in reply to: #125701

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
The T1 w/zipper is more short course tri friendly... it's waaay easier to remove. However, the comfort level (i.e., slightly more flexible) of the zipperless is still the best for long course tri's.

Which you should get depends upon which type of tri's you plan on doing more of... as for my self, I have both - with and without zipper. I switch according to race distance (with the exception being that I use the Piel wetsuit for any swim under 750m).

In short, the zippered version provides the widest appropriate range for a majority of tri-race distances. But, IMO there is no single "perfect" wetsuit for all situations but the zippered version is the closes.

Why don't you just order one of each (in a couple of different sizes)... try them out in a pool and keep the one you like best.

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2005-03-05 8:04 AM
2005-03-06 12:09 AM

User image

Champion
The T1 is a terrific wetsuit. Rmoving the top quickly takes some practice, but I have finally settled on the following. Just as you are about to take your first steps at the end of the swim, allow water into the top of the suit by pulling out at the neckline; you are sort of scooping the water into the top of the suit. This will prevent the top from "suctioning" against your chest. As soon as possible, just cross your arms and grab the suit at opposite corners, yanking it over your head. I now find this approach much quicker than working through the zipper issues of a conventional one-piece suit.

I have tried the T1 with the zipper, but it did not work at all for me. I am 6'3", have a very long torso, and am not any too flexible. These factors conspired to make unzipping the T1 next to impossible. Perhaps it works well for folks who are not so tall and/or who are considerably more flexible than I am!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DeSoto T1 Two-Piece Rss Feed