General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Event swag Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-11-19 6:25 AM

Subject: Event swag

Since entry fees are not getting any cheaper, everyone has 500 t-shirts (starting a collection of technical shirts now), What would a quality race promoter provide if they wanted the racer to feel value in their event?

Custom polar water bottle? custom finisher medal? custom backpack? custom gym bag?

Roger

2008-11-19 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1816193

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Subject: RE: Event swag
I would agree stay away from tshirts. I like long sleeved tech shirts. I got a "Wind shirt" from a marathon i did last year that is nice. A lot depends of how many races you've done. Having lots of races, I have a bunch of medals. They are nice but not too useful the next day...
2008-11-19 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Ohio

I personally think you'd have an uproar if you didn't include t shirts at your events. Medals are nice but don't do much for racers who compete alot. I've been racing two years and have a slew of medals, swim caps, water bottles, you name it from various races. 

There is a race company here in Ohio that puts on great events, but I find their post race food really lacking. Instead of more swag how about dropping some coin on great food for after the event?

2008-11-19 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1816558

Can I name names here?  This form is not owned by anyone is it?

Of the Biggest  multisport companies in Ohio

1- provides almost nothing

2-provides a ton of finger/endurance foods

Are you talking real food (chicken dinners) or bagels/fruit?

T-shirts are a tough item. People loath them, yet expect them.

We are exploring these http://www.polarbottle.com/custom-bottle/

Our custom medals would be a real keep sake (think marathon) not just a random medal.

What about beer steins? Back packs?

2008-11-19 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1816880

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
RBowersock - 2008-11-19 2:16 PM

Our custom medals would be a real keep sake (think marathon) not just a random medal.

The site is not affiliated with any multisport companies in Ohio. Name all the names you want.

1. Cost - is it a reasonably priced race for the product. I don't really want to spend +95 for a race that is just a Sprint. It is maybe justifiable for a Oly but barely.

2. Marshalling - are they present on the bike course. Do people get penalized for breaking rules. You will get a varying degree of response from people if they feel like it is important or not. I think it is.

3. Location - can I get there without having to book a hotel for a night.

Schwag doesn't really draw me to a race. When you are talking about athletes that are really commited to the sport they are gonna have way to many water bottles and way to many Ts. If you have to do the T-shirt. Make it unique. Use a different design and a good looking logo.

As an example. I love my 2005 Wendy's International T. Nice logo design and nice shirt design. But the next year I did it in 2007 the logo looked like a mis-print. It was bright yellow on a white techT. You couldn't even see it. 2008 is was red lettering on a red shirt?

The worst has to be from Portage Lakes in 2007. Dark Purple with a cheeseball logo. I cleaned my bike with it and have since thrown it away.
2008-11-19 4:53 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

I know Im tired of tshirts.  I know with a half distance race I dont like receiving a medal or shirt that shows all distances...I prefer for the half distance to be in itself.  Im tired of water bottles but I have never received and polar....those would be very nice!  I believe Trixie did a race that does Beer Steins instead of trophys and such and those looked really cool.  Back packs are great.  Flying pig always has a great bag.

2008-11-19 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

medals used to mean something.  but now everyone gets one.  meaningingless.

t-shirt has to be smartly done.  i, too, have had tees which were probably the result of bargain shopping by the sports company at the t-shirt shop (poor color choices, doppy design, yack)

HOWEVER, lived in Hawaii for 10+ years and there were a number of races where you would get the t-shirt, of course, but also custom mugs, or if the time of year were right, custom Christmas ornaments or the like.  the people running the race would put thought into the event.

my .02

CP2K

2008-11-19 10:16 PM

User image

Centerville, OH

Socks. Not the thin, gimmicky printed ones, but real, honest, mid weight, training socks, preferably anklets.

I'm a huge fan of socks since I use my running socks to clean house, mow the lawn, and train in.

I could use a new pair of socks much more than I need another shirt, even if it is a techie. 

2008-11-19 11:03 PM
in reply to: #1817875

User image

Champion
possibly my fav thing i have received from races are the logo'ed pint glasses. even for non-drinkers they are nice to have around (we all drink soemthing right?)

i have more medals, awards, and ribbons than i care to count, they all get tossed in the back of the car (with a few race exceptions).

something a i can use (i have enough t-shirts!), the glasses, a mug, hat, visior, something like that.

How about some real awards as well, instead of a medal for every finisher, or possibly smaller finisher medals and some real awards for age group winners/overall stuff.

i know a lot that used to give away nutrition stuff, gel bottels, boxes of bars, etc, we could prob al use that stuff as well.
2008-11-20 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Ohio

You're right about T shirts. As far as food goes, one race I did had 6 foot subs from a local sub shop in addition to the bagels, chips, fruit and gatoraid. I thought that was great post race food.

I like the idea of beer steins instead of a race medal. And if you filled the stein, even better.

My wife used to run a small 5k event called the flashlight 5k. The overall male/female winners got working maglites as trophies. They were ingraved with the event name and date.

One thing I could do without is all the paper in swag bags. I realize these are your sponsers and part of the sponsership fee includes putting their ads in the bags. Last season I generally ended up forgoing the bag altogother because I didn't need another Toyota catalogue, heed ad, etc. I don't know what the answer is to the paper issue.

2008-11-20 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH

I did a race series one season that gave different items for each race.  I got a decent race hat at one, a pair of cheap shorts at another (I slept in them for awhile)  I still have the hat though.  How about the string backpacks.  They are nice for quick workouts.  I have one that will carry a pair of shoes, shirt and shorts.  Then I don't have to carry a full gym bag.

I also got a nice big coffee mug at one event.  I like the pint glass idea too.

2008-11-21 1:58 PM

User image

Expert

I would appreciate anything from a race for proof of what I did.  I think maybe a great gift would be free pictures of you in the race instead of paying too much from the professional at the race.

2008-11-21 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
I'd love to get a sweatshirt. I can never have too many of them. They are all I wear in the winter!
2008-11-21 5:33 PM

What do you think about on site food?

So you drag your family to this race to watch you, they get up early, rush to the venue site, and then the race is in the middle of nowhere-------

Would'nt it be great to have bagels, fruit, coffee for spectators?

2008-11-22 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
I have only been racing for 3 years but my t shirt drawer is getting full. I did get a nice tech t shirt from the Columbus Marathon that looks like nice grey cotton but it actually a tech shirt. ( I like how everyone, including myself, has bought into wearing polyester again since it is a "tech shirt". The Bee Gees are laughing at you). I have gotten a stein, a bottle of wine with the name of the race (my 3rd place age group prize), tshirts, bags and hats. I am trending for a little better food post race but I know but when I first started I really enjoyed the t shirt and/or medals,etc. I guess after you have done a couple of races you better be racing for personal desire  or you will turn into "that guy/girl" who about the race even though you know what was included before you spent the race fee.
2008-11-22 9:17 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I like socks best. I have way too many t-shirts. Socks get lost so you can never have enough of those!

I got a little backpack at a race once. It was cute, but I didn't really need it. The post race food was extremely lacking. Oranges, cookies, water bottles, and soda. That was all. It made me wonder if the skimped on the food to give me that little backpack. DO NOT SKIMP ON FOOD. WE ARE HUNGRY AFTER RACES AND NEED BOTH SALTY AND SWEET SNACKS AND ELECTROLYTE DRINKS!

Sorry for yelling, but I feel strongly about my post race food. I had an extreme craving for salt after that 'backpack race'. It was very hot OLY race and it had no electrolyte drink on the run course. They offered no salty or electrolyte drinks in the food tent. So, I hiked back to my car and ate a teaspoon of salt from my gear bag. That's how badly I needed salt.

PS: Actually, I learned to pack my own sweet and salty post race snacks just in case!

Edited by keyone 2008-11-22 9:33 PM

2008-11-23 7:11 AM

Thanks for the advice.  We will have plenty of food for the participants.

-local service groups will have a breakfast tent for spectators

-local service groups will have chicken dinners for sale after the race.

we will have a group of inflatable toys for the kids

Thanks

Roger

www.rocketshipsports.com

www.colavitaohiocycling.com

2008-11-23 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
I remember getting a nice race belt and a nice chip strap at the Philly tri a couple of years ago.
2008-11-24 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1821778

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Definitely have good refuel food for the participants and good concessions for the spectators.

Socks are a great idea, but as I sit here in the winter, a nice winter-appropriate cap sounds even better.

2008-12-03 7:53 AM

What would you rather?

Custom event technical shirt

Custom event finisher medal

Imprinted backpack

or

Custom t-shirt

Custom water bottle (nice- not crap plastic)

nylon transition bag

2008-12-03 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
If you do any kind of t-shirt make it technical. Even if it means skimping on other swag.

2008-12-09 8:04 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
I personally like my shirt collection and when I am old I am going to get a quilt made.  I like the tech shirts so I don't  have to go out an buy them on my own.  I really don't understand why all races don't give them  out.  Well actually I do, Money!!  There is a race in Louisiana (Rivercities) and from what I have hear the swag is great.  Tshirt, shorts socks,  bags, finisher shirt for about  $100 for a sprint. This is kind of alot but for what you get you can't beat it.  The one race co in Dallas (I am heading to ohio in a week to live) is about $50 for a sprint with tech shirts another is $75 and you get cotton. 
2008-12-09 11:16 PM
in reply to: #1846601

User image

Champion
man you really should do some races here. the HFP sprints are 35-45, which includes a tech shirt and post race food, and some top notch races!
2008-12-10 7:08 AM

HFP races are typically on $45 with early registration, and since most beginners are not members of USAT tack on an additional $10 per race.

I will be very interested to hear his opinion after racing somewhere else in the country, then trying an HFP race. 

Our goal is to be the best, athlete focused, race promoter. We will correct the mistakes of others in our pursuit of this goal.

2008-12-10 7:10 AM

The cost of a Tech shirt vs a T-shirt is maybe $2 difference.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Event swag Rss Feed  

of 2