General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 1/2 IM for first race ever? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-27 9:19 AM

Subject: 1/2 IM for first race ever?

My name is Ryan, I am 34 years old and I reside in Lethbridge Alberta, proudly the second windiest city in Canada (it makes outdoor training all that more exciting).  I have been reviewing this site for a few weeks now and figured I should introduce myself.  The primary reason is that I have so many questions and see that there is a lot of experience on this site and much can be learned by being an active participant.  My first question is; am I overly aggressive/optimistic in choosing a 1/2 Ironman as my first triathlon ever? 

Some background.  Though I've always been active athletically, I do not have a strong background in any of the three disciplines.  Like many people, a swimming pool to me was a place to hang out by and get a tan.  Up until two months ago I hadn't owned a bike, never mind ridden a bike, for over 20 years.  I am strongest in the run.  Though I have never competed in an organized race or event, I have been running recreationally for a few years now and my weekly(ish) long runs are up to 12-13 miles.  I have always been intrigued with Triathlons and two months ago finally decided to train for one.  I first decided upon an Olympic race, but wanting to push myself after a couple of weeks I decided on a HIM.  Since starting training, I have worked my way up to weekly long swims of 1 hour during which I will cover between 2000-2100 meters (slow I know but I am hoping that will improve).  My weekly long rides (inside on a trainer) are up to 2 hours that are followed immediately by a half hour run on a treadmill.  My long runs are two hours and I try to complete them once a week.  I throw in a couple of strength training sessions and interval training the rest of the week and that is a training week for me. 

So back to my original question; is it feasible for me to consider a HIM for my first triathlon ever?  I have a friend who has been doing Tri's for a couple of years and has completed one HIM and said it was "brutal."  That has caused my confidence to waiver somewhat and am looking for a second, third, fourth . . . opinion.      

2008-11-27 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1828698

Subject: RE: 1/2 IM for first race ever?

Hi Ryan,

Sound like your training is going well. When is your event? If its a few months away then you shouldn't find it too much given the sort of training you're doing.

It is going to be brutal though - what's the point otherwise?

Good Luck and go brutalize yourself! 

2008-11-27 9:37 AM

I have been eyeing an event at the beginning of June, so there are a few months to prepare yet.
2008-11-27 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
I'd definitely try to do AT LEAST one other race before doing a HIM, there are so many things to learn about tri's.  If you could find a race late summer you could do even a handful of races to build up to your HIM.  After all, you're still young!  Long distance races are not going anywhere!

2008-12-07 7:32 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Hello, and welcome to BT!

Depends on your fitness, conditioning, etc.

A little background about me first.  I'm 43 years old, 6' 3", 162 lbs.  I was a lot like you with swimming and riding a bike.  I used to be a runner, was fit, have a lot of natural talent, didn't drink or smoke, in good health, and took the time to put the training in  I started doing triathlons 2 years ago. However, I didn't fit the mold of most persons going from couch to a tri.  But, I wouldn't recommend these races until the person puts the time in to train properly, which I did.

Is it feasible?  I would think so, with proper training.

I would recommend checking with a doctor for a health check first, then looking into some plans from here, or talk with your friend or a tri group in your area, and, of course, ask questions in these forums - there are many great persons that can help.  Use the Search Forums first before posting your question to see if what you might ask has already been discussed/answered.

Welcome and good luck.

2008-12-07 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
Do a search, I did what you did, in my 30th year.

That was last year. I ate SHAT real bad on my bike about two months out and missed six or so weeks before the race, and still beat my training paces on everything except the run where I had major back spasms/cramps and basically walked all but the first three miles, and the last two when some IB and a anti inflamatory kicked in and I ran pretty well to the chute.

Some people need to do something twenty times before they ever except they can do it again, I am not one of them, thought I bet I would have less scar tissue if I was!

Swimming is the deal killer or sealer, I have never been in a swimming race in my life, but swam a ton in what I did in the military, and was a lifeguard and swim instructor in High School and first year of first attemt at college.

It can be done, and many do it. It is not the best case scenario, but for me the fact that even an oly is $200 and timing was a pain, my one and thus far only race was a HIM.

My second will be the Wildflower Long Course, supposedly one of the toughest races in the country at the 1.2/56/13.1 distance.

Good luck, some argue against biting off more than you can chew, but others say "how will you know how much you can bite off without choking down more than you can?

enough out of me

2008-12-23 5:29 PM

New user

Solvang, CA

Ryan,

I understand your enthuciasm. I've been competing in triathlon for nearly 4 years now, and just signed up for my first 1/2 IM this May at Wildflower. I'm a strong cyclist and runner, and an average swimmer. I wanted to sign up for a 70.3 after my first year, but after talking with several triathlete friends and joining a local tri club, decided to put it off until a few years (and races) later. Most of the friends I know competing are between 25-60 years old. You have plenty of time to do a half distance and even a full distance IM. But take your time building a base and improving your sport.

If you go out too long too soon, you risk injury and potential for not being able to compete at all in the future. I'd rather do a 1/2 IM strong, then just to go out and do it poorly, just to say i've completed one. Hope this helps!

Corey

2008-12-23 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1870214

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I have known people to do it.  I actually had someone do a full ironman as their first race.  I'm not sure if they finished it though...

Probably not the typical route, but not unheard of.  Just be careful with your training and work on a solid base.  I would say you want to be able to swim 3000 yards, bike 56-60 miles, run 10-13 pretty comfortably on their own by the time the race happens.

2009-01-05 7:14 PM

A half was my first triathlon which I did in June last year.  Some things I learned:  swimming in a group was very intimidating.  I actually had a mild panic attack and had to do breast stroke for a while to regroup.  In training I had built up to where I had done 3 rides of 56 miles prior to the event.  In spite of this I suffered on the bike and did the 2nd half of the bike in a lot longer time than the first half.  I have a running background and the run was fine.  With hindsight, I have no regrets.  Through this experience I have discovered that the bike is my weakness and this is what I am addressing this winter.  If I had only done sprints in my first year I would not have acquired that knowledge.  I say go for it!
2009-01-05 11:25 PM

Thanks for the encouragement.  It is nice to know that it has been done before.  There are many mixed opinions out there, but the thought of a sprint or an olympic just don't get my heart pounding like a HIM.  Did you set any time goals before the race?  I am definetly most concerned about the bike, but hope to get in enough long rides to gain some confidence before the race. 

Any other training or preparation advice is welcome.

Thanks  

2009-01-06 3:06 PM

My time was 5h27.  Advise on the swim:  My standard workout was 100 lengths.  Which was either 2500m or 2500yards depending on which pool I used.  I only got to practice in a lake with a wetsuit within a month of the event.  It took that full month to get used to open water and the wetsuit.  I did not bother with fancy drills in the pool figuring all that effort would result in at most 3 minutes saved.  The bike was a big factor.  The course was a lot flatter than the terrain I normally ride on and so in training I was not in aero the whole time.  My body took a battering being in the constant aero position.  I figure with a winter on the bike trainer I can take about 20 minutes off my cycle time. 

Enjoy the training.

Brian

2009-01-09 1:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Boise
i'm in the same situation. i think that with the right training and dedication you'll do great so no worries. good luck!
2009-01-10 1:30 AM
in reply to: #1888589

User image

Regular
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
I say, if you put in the mileage and spend the time to compete, why not? The only thing you might benefit from with a sprint or oly is the race experience itself. I think that there will be a lot on your plate with the distance of a HIM that the last thing you want to worry about is figuring out the logistics of how the race environment works. Look at it as another training event for the HIM. I've run a few marathons and I always worked in shorter races during the workup to the main event. What all my distance training and strength training workouts didn't prepare me for the absolute chaos that can exist during that swim start. Just a thought. Whatever you decide, good luck!
2009-01-10 6:08 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN

I did my first Tri last year and felt a sprint was too short and settled on an Oly.  It was a learning experience.  I went too hard in the swim and early portion of the bike and finished OK, but I didn't have much fun in the latter part of the bike and and zero fun on the run.  My problem was getting caught up in the competition.  I feel I learned a lot about pacing, and if I had been doing a HIM and paced myself like I did in the Oly, the run would have been a nightmare.

I would recommend doing an Oly before a HIM.  Based on your post, you will have a good base, and an Oly is long enough to allow you to make some mistakes and pay for them for an hour or so instead of 2+ hours.

Just my two cents.  Good luck in your training.

2009-01-10 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Possible? YES. Advisable? MAYBE. I think it really depends on your goals for the event. Are you picking it b/c it is a race in your area? Or b/c your friend is entering? I would advise doing at least some other distance first so you can see what the swim and transitions are like. The swim in a HIM can really kick your %$$ if you are not prepared properly. Especially if you have FIRST-TIME race jitters to deal with. Nonetheless, you are young and will probably do just fine with the proper training. Best of luck to you!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 1/2 IM for first race ever? Rss Feed