General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frustrated thatt my outdoor bike workouts aren't hard enough Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-28 4:44 PM

Master
Subject: Frustrated thatt my outdoor bike workouts aren't hard enough

I come from a run background, and am pretty new to road cycling, but really love being outdoors on my Cervelo P2C (wow, what a ride!). I'm lucky, in that I live in Socal, so it's still gorgeous cycling weather.

I've been a bit frustrated as of late because I can't seem to get a hard outdoor workout on my bike that I'd compare to my run workouts. I think that between the stop signs, traffic lights, and downhill cruising, I lose most of the sustained intensity that I feel that I need to improve. I've found roads where I can ride hard for about 20mins or so fairly uninterrupted, but invariably, I have to go downhill or slow down for some reason. 

The trainer works great for a tough workout, but it's boring as heck. Still, I ride it at least 2x a week for an hour, fairly hard to stay in cycling shape.

Do you folks feel that your bike workouts compare to your run workouts, and if so, do you spend a lot more time on the bike? (I know that pro cyclists train 6-9hrs/day, whereas elite runners rarely run over 3 hrs/day.

EDIT - (Woops - posted this in the wrong forum, my mistake.)

Edited by agarose2000 2008-11-28 4:45 PM

2008-11-28 9:53 PM
in reply to: #1829753

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Frustrated thatt my outdoor bike workouts aren't hard enough
I feel the same way - much harder to stay on tough intensity on the bike than on the run.  However, I live in St. Louis on the flats on the Missouri/Mississippi so I do loops on the flats.  No Cars and only 1 stoplight every 10 miles.  Can easily sustain a high mph.
2008-11-28 10:38 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I work plenty hard on my outdoor rides if they are what is on the plan. Sounds like you need to find a different place to ride. I have different routes and roads I like to do when I do hard work or intervals on the bike.
2008-11-29 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I agree with the OP...I too, find it hard to crank out what I consider a "tough" workout, on the bike outside...in comparison to what I feel when I run. And I've ridden some 5-7 hour rides, logging anywhere between 70-100 miles...and yes, it was tiring...but I wasn't sweating and totally spent like I am after a run. Running is SO much more difficult for me, though...so perhaps that's why no matter how hard or long I ride, it never seems to feel like a hard enough workout.

As far as finding new places to ride...that's not so easy for some of us. I choose the roads that I ride, mainly because they have the least amount of traffic, are wide enough to accomodate a bicycle on the road without hampering the other motorists, and offer the best workout (hills with some flat stretches). Some of us don't have much of a choice as to where we ride. I don't live in a rural area...so traffic, stoplights, stop signs, road hazards, construction, etc...are all inevitable. And I just don't have the time nor the desire, to throw my bike into my car and drive 50 miles away, just to find some decent roads to ride. That just ain't gonna happen...sorry.
2008-11-29 9:56 PM
in reply to: #1830410

User image

Champion
just a few thoughts.
as far as hard workouts go, you really only need a few min at a time to make it hurt (see under 45 sec).

I tend to do my longer/easier rides on bike paths/or out of town for this reason, i'll get my stopping and starting near the ends of the ride, but once i am out of town i can just cruise.

that said, some of my best hard rides have been IN traffic. i have one route i ride to work, around 10 miles, i use it for my weekly TT pace work. there are traffic lights anywhere from every mile to every block. sometimes i hit more than others, but take the spans between them HARD, and you can get in 1-5 min intervals without issue.

or, find a group ride, that will take you on some good routes, if you like them you can always get a map and head out later and do it on your own. orrrr......... get on mapmyride.com and type in areas around you (type in the city name) and it will show all the logged user rides from the area, with detailed maps and descriptions.

routes aside, if you are having a hard time getting a good workout in on the bike (given you have the space) you are doing something wrong. if you are really pushing hard you can make it feel like you are going to die, its simply a matter of upping the pace rather than just cruising along.
2008-11-29 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville

I was thinking the same thing today while I was riding the bike at the gym (no trainer yet). I had my Garmin on track my HR, and realized that I kept a pretty consistent pace. Now... looking at the ride I did a few weeks ago outside with my Garmin, my HR would be all over the place because of all the stopping I did. Being in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex, there are not many places close by that have long stretches without traffic.

I can log the miles and hours to where I'm pretty tired afterwards. But I'm not really winded, I'm more exhausted and sore than anything else. Makes me wonder if I would get a more consistent workout using a trainer instead of going outside. 

2008-11-29 10:28 PM
in reply to: #1830630

User image

Champion
i''m not trying to sound rude so please no one take it that way, but what are you doing on these rides? if you are feeling winded running mosto f hte time you are probably running to hard, and if you never feel so biking you are not biking hard enough on those days.

I was out tonight, am still in decent shape at the moment after some time off, and did 10x3 min threshold paced intervals toinght and was gasping after each one. i am a fairly strong cyclist and these were kicking my butt
2008-11-29 11:08 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I'll admit I have the same problem. I have been lucky enough to live in some beautiful places. When I ride I just enjoy being out on some good country roads. I like to attack hills/mountains and ride fast, but doing hard interval training has not been part of my world. I've come to understand that this is a big hole in my training regimen that is holding be back on race day. Funny is that I can train much harder with my bike up on a trainer. I guess it is more like pool swimming: it's not about the scenery it's just about the training. While cycling outdoors is like open water swimming: it's all about the (fun) experience. 

2008-11-29 11:48 PM
in reply to: #1830660

User image

Champion
i agree here totally. i love just going out and riding, and for the most part this is what most of my riding is. trainer workouts, nothing fun there, i get on, warm up, hammer and am done. they are something to get out of the way.

see this is something that would be helpful to post along with the question from the OP.

if we know what you are doing on a given ride, it helps a lot to see what is/is not working.

for instance you just said you are working less outside because you are out enjoying the ride vs i dont seem to be working as hard.

also for the OP, for a comperable workout from bike to fun (lets use a tempo workout, say a 30min tempo run vs an hour tempo ride or somethingl ike that). the bike workout may be more tiring in the end/might leave you more sore, but remember you are not moving your whole body, but rather keeping the upper body still vs the whole body motion of running. at the upper ends of the paces you will start to see some serious high HR on the bike, but at most peoples training paces the bike heart rate is going to be lower, that is normal. my bike HR in the two sprint races i have recorded was 15 beats lower than the run. but it hurt WAY more.

hope this helps some!

2008-11-30 6:45 AM
in reply to: #1830640

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

newbz - 2008-11-29 11:28 PM ....... but what are you doing on these rides? if you are feeling winded running most of the time you are probably running to hard, and if you never feel so biking you are not biking hard enough on those days.

^^ What he said (sort of).

Are you following some plan or are you just going out riding for riding's sake?  And why are you worried about "pushing it" in the off season??  You are better served for next season by doing longer and less intense stuff to begin with.

2008-11-30 7:58 AM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Try this workout and let me know if its not hard enough - hee hee -

12' wu, then 5x10-20" at 90% effort. with 1' recovery. Increase the effort on each 10-20" effort.
Then the fun begins:
Pedal as hard as you can for 20", then recover for 10" - no more than 10" - do as many reps as you can - MAX of 8 reps! Note your wattage for each rep.
Do a nice easy 10' cool down.
Total time of 25-35'. Good luck!

2008-11-30 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Oxford

Newbz has some good advise.  I also agree that you should go to MapMyRide and find some routes that suit your training needs, or a cycling club in your area may have some weekly group rides scheduled that may give you a ride for your money.

Also, if you are using an heart rate monitor, keep in mind that your your LT may be a few beats higher when on a bike, so don't be afraid to push it.

2008-11-30 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1830765

User image

Champion
mapmyride has been a good website to have around for planning out routes in the past in new areas, lots of good stuff on there
2008-11-30 10:22 PM

Expert
2x a week for an hour

Do longer, or do hill repeats or do speed rpeats (intervals)
2008-11-30 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Look for fast group rides.  There is nothing like getting dragged around like a fish on a hook to get you faster.

As for time in the saddle, it depends on what distance you are training for.

2008-11-30 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood, CA
agarose2000 - 2008-11-28 2:44 PM

I come from a run background, and am pretty new to road cycling, but really love being outdoors on my Cervelo P2C (wow, what a ride!). I'm lucky, in that I live in Socal, so it's still gorgeous cycling weather.

I've been a bit frustrated as of late because I can't seem to get a hard outdoor workout on my bike that I'd compare to my run workouts. I think that between the stop signs, traffic lights, and downhill cruising, I lose most of the sustained intensity that I feel that I need to improve. I've found roads where I can ride hard for about 20mins or so fairly uninterrupted, but invariably, I have to go downhill or slow down for some reason. 

The trainer works great for a tough workout, but it's boring as heck. Still, I ride it at least 2x a week for an hour, fairly hard to stay in cycling shape.

Do you folks feel that your bike workouts compare to your run workouts, and if so, do you spend a lot more time on the bike? (I know that pro cyclists train 6-9hrs/day, whereas elite runners rarely run over 3 hrs/day.

EDIT - (Woops - posted this in the wrong forum, my mistake.)

Socal if this is in the LA area I can recommend several rides that will give you a good workout.  PV loop, Malibu, Seal Beach to Dana Point on PCH or one of the bike paths next to a river (drainage ditch) 710, 605 etc.. http://www.labikepaths.com/

2008-11-30 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Rockwall, Texas

i can see how that could be for the OP. but then i'm one to push myself and have fun with it. i love to compete against myself and see how hard i can push. i power up every hill i find, which is pretty much everywhere i go around where i live. also, whenever i get to this one part of my ride, a bridge that is dead flat, i TT it across and back to see what i can do, or not do.

if your workout isn't hard enough, make it harder, physically or mentally. power up the hills and focus on good pedalling technique then on the way down, focus on body awareness. turnout high cadences and really push your cadence up a hill or on a flat for better neuromuscular facilitation, then later or on the downhill, drop into your big ring and trash your quads. have fun and cook up some good workouts between lights or hill crests.

oh and i definitely spend more time on the bike. but that's natural. at least for me. i run everyday in soccer and i love to run.  but i'm not doing distance stuff, just sprints and olympics. so i absolutely spend more time on the bike, in the race and in training. i think my workouts are comparable, if you can really compare a run and bike workout. i think they're 2 different creatures and should be treated as such, that's what makes T2 so dang hard!Tongue out 

Edited by generalee2010 2008-11-30 10:51 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Frustrated thatt my outdoor bike workouts aren't hard enough Rss Feed