General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycler's knee and running/swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-07 10:47 AM

Rochester New York
Subject: cycler's knee and running/swimming
So I upgraded from cages to a nice pair of road shoes/pedals. I didn't realize that they needed to be aligned and 1.5 weeks latter I had a nasty case of cycler’s knee (term that I found on the net, that seems pretty common). So I have been riding for a while(no real volume increase in about 2months), and am in week 17 of my 1/2-im training. I have taken 4days totally off, and my knee is starting to come around. Anybody have any experience with this type of injury and swimming and running? I am not going to cycle till it is completely healed and have gone to my lbs for a fitting. But can I swim and run now (almost pain free, just a bit of pain on the top/bottom anterior of my knee, also get grumpy at night). Doing nothing is KILLING me!!!!!
Thanks
Sean

2005-03-09 3:11 PM
in reply to: #126309

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: cycler's knee and running/swimming
In my experience as an athletic trainer I would say you are talking about what is medically know as IT Band Friction Syndrome, aka Runners Knee, Cycler's Knee. What you should be doing in this case is icing for any swelling, you can take an anti-inflammatory if needed and not allergic, but you should also being stretching and strenghting the area. This will help the healing process and prevent you knee from starting to hurt again in a few weeks. As for what you can do now, I tell my athletes, "let pain be your guideline" "if it hurts, don't do it." It pretty much sounds like it was caused by faulty mechanics on your bike. Make sure you fix that problem and good luck.
2005-03-11 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I hit a parked car once and didn't realize I had unaligned my cleats during the crash.  Was getting awful pains when I would ride more than 20 miles or so.  Went back to LBS and they just did the cleat setup over.  I was riding again that day!

As for ITBS...I have that and the pain is generally more on the SIDE of your knee vs. in the kneecaps.  Very distinct.  It's right on that bony part on the outside of your knee...ouchers...

2005-03-13 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
When I was getting fitted for orthotics for running my doctor asked me if I wanted some for my bike shoes to avoid this problem. I inquired a little more about the need for them in bike shoes and he began telling me about the foot and the problems with cycling shoes and the over correction by LBS to adjust pedals and stuff that lead to injuries. I don't know if you have any foot issues but if an adjustment of the pedals don't work you may want to look into getting orthotics for your cycling shoes.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycler's knee and running/swimming Rss Feed