General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breakdown... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-07 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
WATERTOWN, WISCONSIN
Subject: Breakdown...
I burst into tears last night laying in bed... I've been on a non-motivated downward spiral for the last month or so. Oh, I've gone to the gym, but skipped 2-3 days a week. I'm not following my training plan nor my nutritional plan.

what happened? how can I fix this? I've got 12 weeks until my first race of the season (I did one last summer)...

I know that 12 weeks is enough since I've still been working out and things, but how do I get back the intensity that I had last summer and fall?????

2005-03-07 11:27 AM
in reply to: #126330

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Breakdown...

1. Use the training logs - if you log your goals and training, you'll get some feedback on how you're doing.

2. Challenge yourself - "If I can train 20 days this month, I'll buy that new HRM/bike seat/tri-suit that I've been wanting".

3. Change your routine - add more weight training, run/bike on a new route, hook up with a tri-club or other swim/run/biking group.

4. Challenge a friend here - make a friendly wager about increasing run speed or distance, or something like that.

5. Or, just flat out ask for a verbal kick in the pants here.  We'd be glad to help!

2005-03-07 11:29 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
first, give yourself a break. everyone has down days, weeks, months. i've been there, and i would bet that most of the people on this site have been there too. giving 110% all the time can lead to burnout...which may be part of what you experiencing. i would go the opposite direction from stepping up the training or logging. you're not doing this for anyone but for yourself, so if your training isn't bringing you joy right now, consider taking a week off (on purpose!). instead, do things that make you happy. for me, that would mean going for a hike, taking a trail run (w/o my heart rate monitor or checking my milage or pace), taking a walk with a friend, etc. get outside if you can. don't think about training or tris for a while. you still have lots of time to get ready for your race.

as for food, that might also play a part. if you aren't eating well, that may lead to less energy and motivation. try drinking some more water, eat some extra fruit and veggies each day. that, some rest, and some sunshine, may help get you back into things.

Edited by autumn 2005-03-07 11:31 AM
2005-03-07 11:31 AM

User image

Buttercup
I'm so sorry you were in tears! Hugs! Do you think you're burned out?

Maybe the first step is to simply get to the gym with an easy plan. Don't beat yourself up about it and don't expect to have the same intensity you had last year. Just get to the gym and start slowing building again. Give yourself a 30 minute workout goal, something that you can easily accomplish and doesn't seem like a chore or burden.

If you're burned-out (and I don't know that you are), the answer is not to put so much pressure on yourself. The answer is to take the pressure off but keep participating in some way. Do fun activities. If it feels like a chore, think of ways to make it fun. For example, I took my boring 3 mile cycle (per my Couch to Sprint program) and turned it into a 13 mile off-road cycle yesterday and I had a BLAST. It wasn't according to program, and the sand pits kicked my arse, but I feel reinvigorated today (in a tired, happy way).

Whatever you do, relax! Have fun! Ease up on the pressure!
2005-03-07 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
I don't have any advice to add but I'm here to let you know I'm in the same boat. I understand your frustration 110%. Keep at it and don't give up!
2005-03-07 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

I, too am sorry to hear about your situation.  But, as with any problem, realizing you've got one and being ready to change is the most important step.

If I were you, I'd look up some footraces in your area...5k's, 10k's, etc.  Treat these as organized training sessions even though they're still "races".  They will motivate you to train (as they do me) and will give you a barometer as to where you stand with respect to conditioning and speed.

2005-03-07 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
I feel for you. I've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. I'd be happy to help you anyway I can, whether it be a helping hand or a kick in the pants. Just let me know what you need.
2005-03-07 12:17 PM

User image

Forget yesterday and everything you did or did not do in the past.  Start today and follow Joe's advice.  And I'll help with step five---get out there walk, run, do something NOW!!!

And I want to see that race report in twelve weeks...GO, what are you waiting for, GO, GO, GO!

Edited by zagagirl 2005-03-07 12:17 PM
2005-03-07 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
WATERTOWN, WISCONSIN
Thanks!! I appreciate the kicks in the butt and the advice. I'm going for a ride (on the trainer) after class and then to the pool for a short 25 minute swim!!!

I HATE this feeling right now... it is so hard to forget yesterday and start over but I AM going to do it!!!

2005-03-07 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

March, for me, is the toughest month - I lost my week 2 weeks ago.  I traditionally shut down in March due to the northern winter, lack of sunshine, competing priorities, etc.  It's just really hard - not quite base season, but also not quite race season.  Two things I try to do to help are:

1.  Get out of town!  Even if it's a long weekend, go recharge someplace fun (or sunny & warm).  3-4 days with yourself and a tall, cool one in Key West or Miami or Mexico is perfect, and energizing - you'll be amazed at how you feel coming back, and

2.  If you can't get out of town, motivate...use BT, post goals (like Joe said), and always remember...every workout you log in March is likely a workout that someone, somewhere, in your age group isn't getting done.  And that's who you're gonna pass looking fresh while their jaw hangs slack.  This is a GOOD image to keep in mind, helps me a LOT.

Best of luck, I hope you give March a run for its money...

Edited by rkreuser 2005-03-07 3:22 PM
2005-03-07 4:26 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Well, first, don't worry so much. This sport isn't what keeps you fed and clothed. You're doing it for yourself and because you like to. It shouldn't be a huge source of stress.

I'd say take a week off of your training plan completely, but don't just sit there. Be active every single day, but do whatever it is that sounds like the most fun! Hike... take a ride, but leave the bike computer at home..... skip rope....go for a run somewhere really interesting... whatever.  Don't train, PLAY! Just take some time to remember why you like this sport!

I think sometimes we get into this overly adult mindset and everything becomes so serious. I think we're just a bunch of overgrown kids playing outside. :-)

2005-03-07 4:32 PM
in reply to: #126508

User image

molto veloce mama
I think sometimes we get into this overly adult mindset and everything becomes so serious. I think we're just a bunch of overgrown kids playing outside. :-)

what she said!
2005-03-07 6:35 PM
in reply to: #126364

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

You have non- motivational Cabin Fever!!! I see you are in WISCONSIN! All I can say is that once the weather starts to lift, you should feel such a surge in your motivation, you won't know what to do with yourself!

I've found myself going stir crazy lately... and I KNOW it's weather related. All this cold/snow/slush/freezing temps... makes it impossible to ride a bike outside... miserable to run without a Polar Parka (Not Polar HRM!) and certainly it's impossible to swim outside right now. Even if you swim INSIDE your hair will freeze into little icicles on your walk thru the parking lot, back to your car.

So, yes... I can see where you'd hit a motivational slump... BUT think about this:

1) Soon it will be WARM outside and you're going to be able to bike and run and swim in the glory of the (cancer inducing) sunshine! We Midwesterners LIVE for summers...  and we don't get enough sun, so when March rolls around we're pretty much entirely stir crazy!

2) Your race is approaching...! WWWWEEEEEE HHHAAAAWWW!! What fun! Start running/working out and make yourself accountable to a 12 week program! Use the LOGS! We will encourage you!

3) I'm not sure what I was going to say for #3... In my manic attempt to motivate/sympathize/empathize with you... I've lost my train of thought... (?) Probably due to lack of sunshine. Definitely.

Good Luck!

Whacko   Whizzer

2005-03-07 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
oiprocs1975 - 2005-03-07 11:20 AM
what happened? how can I fix this?

Welcome to the club! I've been a little down too....
12 weeks! of course you have plenty time! Last year I injured my leg 13 weeks before my marathon. I was wearing a removable cast and couldn't do any exercise for 4 weeks!!!! I felt like giving up... I found out that I didnt loose my base in 4 weeks of doing nothing, I was surprised.
You'll be ok. Log those miles/minutes, keep a diary (you may find a pattern there that triggers that appathy...
Good luck and feel better.
2005-03-07 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Breakdown? Pfft.... I call what your doing recovery.

I've been doing tri's for almost 20 yrs. and last year was the first year I only did 2 triathlons... and, that reason was because of a back injury. It was as tough mentally as it was physically. I'm back and feel better than new.

We all go through periods of lack of motivation or distraction.... the secret is accepting this phase... it just happens.

And, the good thing about these down periods is that they are temporary. And even the better aspects about what you called a breakdown is that you realize this setback... That's 90% of the issue... it's all uphill from here.

FWIW Joe Moya
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breakdown... Rss Feed