General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie from PA Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-10 1:20 PM

New user

Greencastle
Subject: Newbie from PA
Hello all,

I have been way past due on getting back into shape. After dealing with my mother being diagnosed with cancer back in February I ended up going to the hospital with chest pains. Turned out to be stress related and was an eye opener. Then in August my dad died unexpectedly of a massive heart attack which really scared me. So at 40 and out of shape this former high school distance running decided it was time. So I joined the Y and I am currently on the fourth month of the 'Beginner Exercise Program' from this site. I have been using a spinning class 3 days a week for the cycling and have been swimming 1 day a week for about 6 weeks now. I was not too sure about the swimming at first as I have never really done that, but I am loving it. Actually this past Monday I was supposed to do a total of about 700 yards total on my swim. I got to the end and felt pretty good and I ended up swimming 1000 non stop with a pool buoy for a total of 1700. WOW that felt great and suprised me. Although I could feel it in my back and shoulders yesterday and today. I then decided to swim this morning before spinning to try and loosen up my muscles. I got in about 400 and then 45 minutes of spinning.

I am shooting for a sprint tri the first weekend in May and have been wondering if a Olympic would be feasible for the end of the year like September/October frame?

Also, any thoughts on me adding the additional swimming? Am I going to burn myself out? Should I stick with the beginner program? Not sure what is best? I was thinking about starting to swim the longer swim workout on Monday and then adding a short swim before spinning the other two days. Or even adding some eliptical or indoor cycle trainer workouts on a couple other days a week to maybe get up to 5 workouts a week instead of 3.

Any help would be appreciated. I think I am already getting addicted.

2008-12-10 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1847637

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Newbie from PA

Welcome, Joe!

I am so sorry about your mother and especially your father, but am really glad to see you taking these difficulties and turning it into inspiration for yourself. Thanks for sharing!

As a beginner it's better to swim more frequently for less long than it is to have one big swim. But if you're enjoying it and can do it, by all means. It's also critical to get some feedback on your technique, since swimming is skills-driven. A lesson or two with an experienced coach makes a huge difference, and that way you're not repeating any inefficiencies thousands of times as you increase your swim volume.

Olympic is definitely feasible for end of your first season but you'll definitely need to do plenty of cycling outdoors during the summer.

Good luck!

2008-12-10 8:54 PM

User image

Master
PA
Welcome!  Where in PA?  I'm in State College.  FWIW, I think you can do an Oly in June!  You might surprise yourself in the next 6 months.
2008-12-10 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1848332

New user

Greencastle
I am in Greencastle. I am thinking about a sprint the first weekend in May and then an olympic at the end of September. And maybe a small sprint in July.
2008-12-11 4:40 PM
in reply to: #1848461

User image

Master
PA

joetroba - 2008-12-10 11:06 PM I am in Greencastle. I am thinking about a sprint the first weekend in May and then an olympic at the end of September. And maybe a small sprint in July.

Here's one!  

7/5/09  Happy Valley Sprint Tri in State College

www.happyvalleysprinttri.com

2008-12-12 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
If you train reasonably there's no reason a few sprints and Olympics could happen next season.

I had to google Greencastle. I am just outside of Phila. Any good mountain biking out your way?

2008-12-14 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
I'm from Harrisburg. They'll be a slew of local events for 2009. There will be at least 3 sprints at Pinchot State Park. The difference being the organization sponsoring the event. I believe the first one is in April. There will be the two sprints in Harrisburg, July and August. Boiling Springs has a sprint in August, and there's the Mt. Gretna in May (is that the one you were thinking of doing?), but I hear that one fills up quick, so I already signed up in November. There is usually an olympic in August at Pinchot. I am considering doing that one if it doesn't interfere with Boiling Springs. And the Chambersburg Y has a sprint in September which I did this year.

Burn yourself out with the swim? Most of us can't get enough of the pool time. Swimming is the #1 issue for most of us. When summer rolls around I try to get in the pool as much I can, up to 5 times a week if possible. I have finally gotten to the point where I look forward to my twice weekly off-season swims, and wish I could have more.

Sorry to hear about your parents. After I started my training, my wife insisted I see the doctor (she thought I might be getting too skinny [she forgot what I looked like when we got married 18 years ago]), and was given a clean bill of health, and my BMI says that I'm and 'athlete', of all things.

Maybe we'll meet at some of these events.
2008-12-14 9:33 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to BT and a new healthy lifestyle.  Good luck in all your challenges!
2008-12-16 4:12 PM
in reply to: #1852194

New user

Greencastle
I know alot of people mountain bike at Caladonia State Park just east of Chambersburg. There are a lot of trails. Plus just west of me is Whitetail Ski resort that has mountain biking and even some big reaces in the summer.
2008-12-16 4:22 PM
in reply to: #1857277

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie from PA Rss Feed