General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Young, 1st year, Ironman.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-12-13 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1851744

Regular
Subject: RE: Young, 1st year, Ironman..
I'll be the contrarian and say go for it. (I'll admit I may be a little biased because I plan on doing my first IM this June, at the age of 21). Why not do it? Do it for the same reason you'd climb a big mountain, because it's there, because you can. Do it for an experience that you can look back on and be genuinely proud.

Though, I wouldn't recommend being dumb about it. Know what you're getting into, and do it the smart way. Get a coach. Always stay within your limits. Make sure you really want to do it, because it's a huge commitment.

2008-12-13 9:18 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
EleK - 2008-12-12 3:42 PM

I will be 20 this summer and am planning of doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, but short course doesn't motivate me that much. I need a big challenge that requires extreme motivation. 

I think if you had the ability to race short course at a highly competitive level you could get motivated to do it.  Obviously you don't have the experience to do it yet, but why  not set a big challenge for short course like getting your pro card and racing ITU representing Canada?  That would be setting a bigger goal than simply finishing an Ironman. 

A huge percentage of the tri population can finish an Ironman.  Most of us are too old or have jobs that won't let us pursue a goal to race pro.  I think you're wasting a big huge opportunity to try to get fast while you're still young.  Worry about IM for later when you're more experienced, fast, and have built up durable legs to take on IM training.  I'm not talking wait 10 years...just 5-7. 

2008-12-13 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran

I have to think about it. Racing fast will cost more money. I will need a triathlon and a swimming coach. I can probably train by myself of the bike and the run, but I'm very slow with swimming and I defenetly need a coach for that. If I train to race competitively for oly's, I've no doubt I'll be as motivated as I would be for an IM. I just thought racing an IM was more challenging, but I guess to do sub 2:00 for oly is as much challenging.

I'm young and will have a lot of decision to take in the next few months. I think I'll be more set after this summer, when I will have complete various distance races.

Your opinion is very valuable to me, thanks again.

Edited by EleK 2008-12-13 9:33 AM
2008-12-13 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1852480

User image

Champion
i would not say one is more challenging than the other.
to simply finish either distnce it not widly hard for somene in decent shape. it may take MUCH longer, but you could finish it.

putting in the work to go fast at either is hard, and they require a totally differnt skill and training set to get there.

in short course you need to be able to go at near stand alone PR pace to really do well, all within a tri, in long course it is much more about sustainable speeds that will allow you to still run well at the endo f the day, and lets not forget nutrition, the often overlooked 4th event.

when i started racing (3 years ago at 20), i thought IM and half IM would be where i would end up quickly). i've done 3 HIM, triple T twice, and a powerman duathlon in that time, and can safely say i really did not have a lot of fun in any. i am glad i did them, but they are not the type of fun i get out of going fast.
in that same time period i have doneover 30 sprints and 4 olympics, and loved them. i would still like to try the longer stuff a bit down the road, but i simply dont have the engine to go for that long (for what its worth i race sprints in the 52-57min range, not widly fast, but deff faster than my long course results show).

take the time to build the speed now, its much much easier to make the transition from fast to long, rather than the other way around.
2008-12-13 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lots of sage advice already posted here, let me offer a somewhat different perspective. Long distance training/racing isn't for everyone. I happen to LOVE it. Since my start 2.5 years ago, I've done 4 marathons, 2 HIM's, IMCDA (2008), and numerous oly distance races, 10K's, and half mary's. I REALLY look forward to long rides/runs. Nearly all of my tri buddies, however, have dabbled in longer distance stuff, but just don't like it for a number of reasons and stick to sprint/oly distances.

My suggestion: ease into it. Train/race a half mary. Train up to a century ride. If it goes well and you like it, move up to a marathon and/or HIM.

Remember, this is supposed to be FUN!
2008-12-13 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
I ran a lot of half-mary in my training and I loved it. More than any 10K I've done. I personally think I enjoy endurance more, but still, I've to try different things to really learn about myself before taking a decision to erally focus on one thing.

2008-12-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1852480

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
EleK - 2008-12-13 11:30 AM

I have to think about it. Racing fast will cost more money. I will need a triathlon and a swimming coach. I can probably train by myself of the bike and the run, but I'm very slow with swimming and I defenetly need a coach for that. If I train to race competitively for oly's, I've no doubt I'll be as motivated as I would be for an IM. I just thought racing an IM was more challenging, but I guess to do sub 2:00 for oly is as much challenging.

If you have a local triathlon coach, they probably have a swim workout (or a few swim workouts) through the week where they will be able to guide your swimming as well as the bike and run parts of your program. 

If you decide on a remote coach, I would say your best bet is either with a masters program or a triclub that has coached swimming are your best bets.  There is no reason to have a dedicated swim coach; the training and feedback you will recieve swimming with a squad will probably be as beneficial and more cost effective.

A sub-2:00 OD is huge and as others have mentioned, the time to get fast is now; IM (and HIM) will always be there.

If I were you and were looking to be involved with the sport long term (and want to be competitive) I would focus on sprint and OD racing for the next five years and focus on getting really fast.  Then I would look to start adding the occasional HIM or IM to the mix and decide from there where your future lies in the sport.

Shane

2008-12-13 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1852541

User image

Veteran
gsmacleod - 2008-12-13 10:55 AM
EleK - 2008-12-13 11:30 AM

A sub-2:00 OD is huge and as others have mentioned, the time to get fast is now; IM (and HIM) will always be there.

If I were you and were looking to be involved with the sport long term (and want to be competitive) I would focus on sprint and OD racing for the next five years and focus on getting really fast.  Then I would look to start adding the occasional HIM or IM to the mix and decide from there where your future lies in the sport.

Shane

Anyone have a link to an advanced training program for OD? HIM and IM is much easier ; you've to train your endurance with long rides and runs. But what about OD. I've read a lot about endurance training and IM over the past few months but I'm totally lost for OD. 

2008-12-13 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1852564

User image

Champion
EleK - 2008-12-13 1:24 PM

Anyone have a link to an advanced training program for OD? HIM and IM is much easier ; you've to train your endurance with long rides and runs. But what about OD. I've read a lot about endurance training and IM over the past few months but I'm totally lost for OD. 

There are very good OD training plans on this site that you can access if you upgrade your membership to silver.  If you upgrade to gold you get these programs and the ability to ask questions to coaches about your specific situation.  Not quite personal coaching but a great compromise.

Beyond that Opentri.com has a free short course program (never really looked at it though) and Gale Bernhardt and Matt Fitzgerald both have training plan books with programs for different distances and levels of athletes.

I have an intermediate OD program (for someone pursuing a 2:10-2:25ish OD) if you are interested in purchasing a training plan.  PM or email me if you want more details.

Shane

2008-12-13 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran

Thank you very much for your help Shane.

I think my best solution would be to try a lot of races in 09, OD early in the year, HIM half-way and a marathon at the end of the summer. My current fitness and training program should be enough for me to complete the race, not competitively. That way I would know what I like the most and make plan for a good training program for 2010.

2008-12-13 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
EleK - 2008-12-12 3:42 PM

Hey guys,

I will be 20 this summer and am planning of doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, but short course doesn't motivate me that much. I need a big challenge that requires extreme motivation.

I come from a littel running background, doing half-marathon and 10K but nothing longer than that. Younger, I was doing mountain bike races.

Everytime I talk about my goal to do an Ironman in 09 to a coach they quickly tell me that I'm going too fast.

I personally think I can do it. I've been training since september and IMMT is september 12 09, so I have a year to train for it. I'm planning of doing a oly, maybe 1-2 HIM in july/august and than my Ironman.

Can I do this and stay away from injuries?

Ah to be young.

Your mind will override any rational thoughts. It will also push you further than your body can go.

Good luck.

2008-12-13 12:44 PM

User image

I gotta say, you've shown maturity in taking some hits (nicely delivered ) and re-evaluating your near term goals. I have no doubt you will go sub 11 with the proper work put in when the time is right.

way to go.

2008-12-13 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1852614

Expert
Southeast
ChrisM - 2008-12-13 1:44 PM

I gotta say, you've shown maturity in taking some hits (nicely delivered ) and re-evaluating your near term goals. I have no doubt you will go sub 11 with the proper work put in when the time is right.

way to go.

X2

2008-12-13 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1852656

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
mdickson68 - 2008-12-13 3:06 PM

way to go.

X2

X3, best of luck with your training!!

2008-12-13 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran

This is very appreciated. I will stay around, it is very helpful to have various opinions and comments when needed.

Good luck to everyone in your 2009 season.

Edited by EleK 2008-12-13 3:10 PM
2008-12-13 3:29 PM

User image

Official BT Coach

I wouldn't do the marathon...you can train for it, but I wouldn't race it.  It has nothing in common with an Ironman marathon, except the distance.  Plus, the recovery cost of trying to rip an open marathon doesn't compliment your tri training.  Train for a marathon and race a half.

2008-12-13 7:27 PM

User image

Expert
Well, I have to give my perspective.

There are a few people who do IM's younger than you. Rachel (gymgirlx here) successfully did IMAZ at 18. My daughter will be doing IMAZ @ 18 next year.

I agreed to let my daughter do it, because she has a history of following through to her athletic goals. But she's also has a background in swimming, where she's used to working out for 10-20 hours a week for the past 5 years in addition to her school and other activities. I am worried that she's not ready for an IM, but much of that is just from a father's perspective.

If you are smart about your traing, and have a good base, I think that you'll be able to do it. Just don't push it too hard.
2008-12-15 1:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Huntington Beach
I'm 23. Never ran over 3 miles or rode on a bike other than a beach cruiser prior to mid January this year. Did Vineman 140.6 on Aug 2.
Spent 2 months of that training time not running due to injury. Never ran over 9 miles in training. When I was training it was through an injury not severe enough for me not to train. Was so burned out I barely swam/rode/or ran in July.
Regardless I finished the race. Rode and ran by numerous people passed out or screaming in pain on the ground. Over 20% were DNF. Probably the same 20% that told me I couldn't do it.
They give you 17 hours, that means you can go really slow and still finish. I honestly believe I could have finished with one month training. Just took 6.5 months to finish with a respectable time.

More than training time and body adaptation I am more concerned with your mental toughness. If you are asking others if you can do a race like this you obviously have self-doubt and currently lack the will and fortitude to put your body through the suffering.

2008-12-15 2:43 AM
in reply to: #1852246

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
xcrunner2010 - 2008-12-12 9:33 PM

I might be a little help.   you said "I personally think I can do it".  

Now, I I believe that you can do it, but what is really the point, if you only want to do an IM to say that you did an IM then you should wait a year.  You would finnish, but would you finnish with the time that you wanted, or would you just have to do another, just to improve your time.  If this happened  then you are better off waiting one year, with a lot more training.

Also, by the way an Olympic, 1-2 Half IM, would make a big year already.  

And your 20 so its not that you don't have a lot of time.  I think the lowest age you can do a IM is 18.  Somebody might know this.  My take, do the 1/2's and the Oly.  Not the IM. And that's my plan anyway.  Im doing two Oly's and 1/2.

yep for all NAS Ironman events you have to be 18, I'm 18 and just did IM AZ last month.
2008-12-15 5:58 AM
in reply to: #1854010

User image

Veteran

VinemanCalifornia - 2008-12-15 1:10 AM If you are asking others if you can do a race like this you obviously have self-doubt and currently lack the will and fortitude to put your body through the suffering.

There is no self-doubt, but there is a doubt for the smartest way to do it. As Everyone said in this topic, if my goal is to finish in pain and risk injuries, I can do it. But is it what I really want? Prove others I can do it? No. I know I could do it. But it will be more enjoyable if I take my time, do shorter race and get more experience under my belt. When the day will come, I'll be more ready that I have thought I would.

Edited by EleK 2008-12-15 5:59 AM
2008-12-15 8:52 AM

User image

I would be reluctant to encourage a first year triathlete to go iron distance. It is something I strongly feel needs to be worked up to with shorter races first. If you still decide to go for it, best of luck.

Matt Cazalas
Technical Writer

Network Cables

2008-12-15 1:00 PM

New user

Gilbert, AZ
Just my two cents--In April 07 I worked IMAZ as a paramedic and decided that in 08 I would race IMAZ--I kinda fell in love with the idea of an ironman instantly, and I was a bit bullheaded about it.  I had no previous race experience besides 2 marathons, one of which I didn't finish due to injury.  I was a strong swimmer and a lifeguard, but didn't really have much experience with distances greater than one mile.  Still, I was a firefighter and I basically lived in the gym, so I figured in a year I'd be able to train enough to at least complete the race.  I knew a few people that have done multiple IM's, but nothing they said to me could deter me from racing.  Needless to say, my crazy bullheadedness resulted in a DNF and major disappointment.  In hindsight, it wasn't even a lack of training that kept me from finishing, I was just unprepared for everything that IM is--the transitions, the freezing cold water, the groups of people running you over in the water...just everything that only racing can prepare you for.  I won't tell you that you can't do it, because I'm sure you can--but I will tell you that getting a few shorter distance tri's under your belt first will better prepare you for the little things that you don't even think about preparing yourself for.  Whatever you choose, go for it fully, and don't have any regrets about what you decide.  Good luck!
2008-12-15 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1852688

User image

Champion
newleaf - 2008-12-13 5:05 PM
mdickson68 - 2008-12-13 3:06 PM

way to go.

X2

X3, best of luck with your training!!

x4 - it's not often someone comes to the forum, posts a question and actually listens to the answer (especially when it runs counter to what they seemed to be hoping to hear).

Best of luck, your maturity will take you far,

Shane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Young, 1st year, Ironman.. Rss Feed  

of 2