General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First triathlon in May and I need help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-09 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: First triathlon in May and I need help!
Hello to all!
My name is Dan and I am doing a triathlon for the first time in May just outside of DC. I am a former college swimmer who has no clue about biking/running. Does anyone have any suggestions on how far I should be able to bike/run before I compete in the triathlon? I am doing a 1.5K swim, 45K bike, 10K run (I think this is an Olympic Triathlon). I recently purchased a wetsuit (on sale at h2ovelocity.com), and a good used road bike (softride w/upgrades from a co-worker). Do the clip on pedals or some other type of pedals make a big difference as compared to just wearing running shoes? Does it help in training to do the transitions (bike some and then run some)?
Thanks for all your help!
Dan

2005-03-09 1:50 PM
in reply to: #127350

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: First triathlon in May and I need help!

I'm new to tris myself (have done more running), but I'll tell you what I've learned so far (I've been training since last fall).  Personally, I would want to have gone at least those distances by themselves in training before the race.  Some would probably argue that you should go even further individually, but if it's a first time thing and you're not trying to set any records (except your own) then I think that would be fine.

I think most people would agree that clipless pedals and cycling shoes are the way to go. They will make you more efficient on the bike, and as such the time you save (especially over an olympic distance ride) will more than make up for the extra 20 seconds to change shoes in transition. 

To answer your last question, absolutely do at least some brick workouts before your race. A brick is usually a bike followed immediately by a run (although some people do swim/bike as a brick).  It's important to get used to the feeling of running immediately off the bike, and to get confidence that if you gut it out for a little bit the jello-like feeling goes away and you can run strong.  You don't need to do this all the time, but plan some in. The run following the bike does not need to be long, I was told by some tri pros that I know that even 10 minutes of running off the bike will help greatly.

Welcome to the site, and good luck with your training!

-Rob

2005-03-09 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Thanks for the info Rob! I appreciate it!
2005-03-09 11:31 PM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland

Dan - Welcome to BT.  I'm training in the D.C. area as well.  So too is one of my colleagues who lives in northern Virginia.  I agree with what's been said above.  Brick workouts (where you combine a bike and run) are very important to help you do well.  Toe clips or clipless pedals will make the cycling more efficient.  If you have a bit more money to spend, aerobars probably give you the best return for your money in terms of improving times.  Most important of course, is the engine. 

Hey, there was a thread the other day on H20 Velocity wetsuits.  Did you get yours yet and if so, how do you like it?

2005-03-09 11:45 PM
in reply to: #127723

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Hi Ken,
I have not received the wetsuit yet. I was told that they are scheduled to be delivered in late march. The guy I talked to on the phone confirmed what the others said - made at the same place as some other known brands of wetsuits, tested for 4 months, etc. I will let you know when I get mine later this month how I like it.
My co-worker who sold me the bike was nice enough to throw in a new pair of aerobars that did not fit his new bike. Where do you train? I have a gym membership in Tysons corner and have started training there.
Dan
2005-03-10 8:27 AM
in reply to: #127727

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
I belong to a gym at the State Department where I work.  I try to run at lunchtime and I recently bought an old 12 speed to keep here so that I can bike on some lunch hours.  Right now I'm training for the Cherry Blossom 10 miler and plan a half IM, maybe the Diamondman in Bear, Delaware, later in the season

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First triathlon in May and I need help! Rss Feed