General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to search online for winter weather running clothes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-16 6:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
Subject: How to search online for winter weather running clothes

I have never ran in the cold (unless you count my only 5k and I looked rediculous). SO I'd like to know what brand names to search for when I look for pants/shirt/etc....... OH and my running shoes have the vented air thingy so COLD.  Is there some magical sock that is not so thick I can't shove it in a shoe ?

Also, what's the thing called that goes over your face  ?..... a mask to keep the cold off of your face.  Isn' t the neck thing called a "neck gator ?"........    I hear folks talk about layering, but I have no idea what to layer ! lol

I see runners in tight clothes these days, are those really warm ?

2008-12-16 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1857475

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: How to search online for winter weather running clothes
Northface REI, clothing brands,  by some running tights, some high socks, a tight under armor, a looser fleece, and then a wind jacket.  I usually have a winter hat for running or a balaclava? for biking.  Winter hat is fleece.  Maybe a neckwarmer.  Good gloves and hand/feet warmers.
2008-12-16 6:11 PM

User image

Queen BTich

I don't know about the shoes but the face mask is called a balaclava. There are some here:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=1343
Good prices, half off right now. Chances are there is a store near you. Tell them the online price, they will honor it.

The tights that have fleece on the inside are very warm.

Most brands make winter and summer items. If you wear Nike, Adidas, UnderArmour they all make winter gear. There are tons of options. Go with what fits your price range.

I have Sugoi fleece tights (cycling brand), some Nike and UnderArmour insulated tops (very warm). Got them all on sale.

Can't help you with the shoes. I don't run in snow so its not really an issue for me.

2008-12-16 7:01 PM

User image

Master
PA

Most of my stuff is Under Armour and I've been happy with it.  You need less clothes than you think.  You'll be freezing for the first 5-10 mins then you'll be surprised how much you warm up.

If you decide to buy cold weather biking gear, I have stuff from Performance and it's been fine.   I  like the stuff with windstopper for the bike.  

2008-12-16 8:42 PM

I've got a couple of different pairs of tights, of varying thicknesses. I also have fleecy-line Sugoi tights (they also make running gear, not just cycling stuff) that I wear when it's cold. I prefer tights in the winter, actually - they feel warmer than regular pants. Sort of like compression clothing - squeezes your muscles a little and gets the blood flowing.

For tops, I have various base layers that I wear in any combination with more structured running tops, when it's cold. The good thing about base layers is that as the weather warms up, you can just wear them by themselves with a pair of tights, capris or shorts. I have both short and long sleeve, depending on how cold or windy it is. It's just my personal preference but I feel warmer in tighter clothing, or at least having a tighter layer underneath a bigger running top.

For hands, I am usually fine with the cheap $5 stretchy gloves from Target.

For my head, I've got a fleecy headband and a fleecy cap or two. DC doesn't get super-cold to warrant needing a balaclava - I simply will skip that day if it's that freakin' cold, since it's doesn't happen very often around here. If I cycled outside during the winter, I'd definitely get one, though. For running, a high necked top and the headband (that covers my ears) is usually enough.

My shoes are pretty vented (most are, I think) and I wear the smartwool socks - those keep my feet plenty warm.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-12-16 8:45 PM
2008-12-17 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

Thank you all for your suggestions !  I am so much a rookie to running, let alone cold running. But I am really afraid after reading some posts here that if I stop running (ok we'll call it jogging in my case) that I will loose what I do have and have to work to get it all back ) !HOLY COW......so now i'm trying to get warm enough to run and still be comfy (not so much the stay puffed marshmallow gal of the past) !lol

Thanks all !!!! Off to shop !

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to search online for winter weather running clothes Rss Feed