General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mid Back Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-17 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
Subject: Mid Back Pain

For the last week and a half or so I've had increasing pain in my back.  It seems higher than the classic lower back pain - it's focused about eight or nine inches above the small of the back... just below the level of my sternum.  It seems notably worse after I run and today it was to the point that, even without running, it was painful sitting at work. 

I've found all sorts of information about lower back pain but I'm not finding much about pain higher in the back.  Does anyone have any ideas or resources you'd recommend?

Thanks,
Jason

2008-12-17 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1860040

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: RE: Mid Back Pain
If you find the answer tell me!  I've been dealing with this for some time now.  I went to the chiro a while ago and he said it was a rib that was out of place and it would take time to get it back in.  He took x-rays and said everything looked fine.  After numerous visits with no success I stopped going to him.  I am going to start looking for a DO as soon as benefits from my new job kick in.  My pain is very localized just to the left side of my spine and is about the size of a half dollar.  No matter how I stretch it just doesn't help.  If I lean to one side I can feel the pull but within minutes the constant dull ache comes back.
2009-01-05 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN

I've had chronic mid back pain for going on 20 years.  I believe the original problem was a pulled muscle due to bowling.  I was off work for 6 months in excruciating pain for the first month and things gradually got better.  The nuero and ortho guys were sure it was a disc problem.  The (2) chiropractors thought it was an alignment problem.  After a year, I saw a physiatrist who diagnosed the problem as muscular.  Unfortunately by this time there was permanent damage and the muscles in my upper back are subject to getting too tight.  Due to my midlifre crises 3 years of Tae Kwon Do I also have 2 herniated discs in my neck (stupid stretching on my part, doing something "not recommended without checking with your doctor).

Now that 've said all that, my question for you is what do you do for a living?  Working at a computer with a computer mouse (like I did for years) puts extra strain on the muscles of the upper back that can cause tightness.  If you are sitting for long periods in the same position, you may be getting the muscles in your bakc too tight.  If this sounds like your isssue, I would suggest getting some PT and learn about what stretching and strengthening exercises would be useful.  I also bought a Theracane for self-massage of trigger points in my back and neck that keeps me from needing PT more often.

2009-01-05 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI

Thanks, that sounds like it could be the culprit.  I work in IT and spend a disproportianate amount of my day sitting at a computer.  I've been looking at various back strengthening exercises but it sounds like it's time to go see an actual PT and get their opinion.  I'd hate to end up making things worse and having to live with it down the road.  Thanks for the response!

Jason

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mid Back Pain Rss Feed