General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel/tire upgrade ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-20 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: Wheel/tire upgrade ?
I have a pretty grueling century in May ( Assault on Mt Mitchel/12000+ ft climbing ) I'm trng for and wonder if I should upgrade wheels....... not JUST for that ride but it could probably make that ride a little easier. Obviously wouldn't mind getting faster in everyday rides/tt's.

I'm 5'8", 185 and ride a Trek 1500 with stock Bontrager Select wheels/tires. Added a 12-27 and an R-700 compact crank. I know I need to ride, ride, ride and losing weight will help also. I think those are the 2 most important things I can do to get ready. But just curious how much it would "help" to upgrade wheels.

I'm more concerned about finishing than finishing faster. $$$ DEFINITELY a limiting factor. I've searched a lot and the Neuvation wheels seem to have several positive comments..... have looked at the R28aero4's on their site, scratch and dent specials may also be an option. Or maybe someone can suggest a relatively inexpensive used set.

As far as tires, open to suggestions there too. Probikekit has some pretty low prices on several brands, so I'll probably get something there.

Would appreciate some opinions/thoughts.

Edited by tri42 2008-12-20 8:26 PM

2008-12-20 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1865302

User image

Veteran
Rockwall, Texas
Subject: RE: Wheel/tire upgrade ?
not so sure about wheels, but tires won't really do too much. just make sure you have a good set. continental GP 4000. those are pretty good tires. look at the best-of-the-best forum at the tires. i really want a set of rolf wheels, but i'm also a lightweight (6'1", 137#).  increasing your power-weight ratio is definitely your best bet. either by dropping a few pounds, upping your wattage, or both. i say go ride!
2008-12-20 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
I got a pair of Rol Race sl.  I would buy a pair of wheels of ebay, if I did ti again, but I wanted to start with a good set, that I new was perfect.
2008-12-21 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1865347

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Would I benefit from getting an inexpensive set of wheels, like the Forte Titans or some of the Neuvation wheels ? I don't know if they're lighter than the Selects I have, or maybe they're stiffer.

Any info would be appreciated.
2008-12-21 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC

no you would actually be going backwards...the wheels on the bike now are much better than Forte brand anything...your looking for the lightest, and stongest wheels you can find for climbing...but in all actuality they are not going to help you all that much if your not in top shape...although the tires would be a good idea...I run Conti GP4000S tires and it made a world of difference in the feel of the bike...they are not cheap but well worth it in my opinion...

be careful with PBK...the exchange rate your card company uses is a little different than the actual exchange rate shown...this is due to the markets...it will be with in a couple dollars of the quoted price though...thats where mine came from and I had mine 6 months before they were imported into the US by using PBK...

Be sure to keep your old tires for trainer tires...

edited to add: and if I were getting wheels for climbing... http://www.flash-pointracing.com/fp40

Edited by tiggere 2008-12-21 6:42 PM
2008-12-22 12:16 AM
in reply to: #1866286

User image

Champion
a good set of tires will deff help you out.

some of the ones i would recomend:
michelin pro race 2 or 3,
vittoria rubino pro slick (very good training and racing tire)
vitoria zafino (good training tire with a race feel)

i would not worry too much about the wheels yet, later down the road look into a good set, but the ones you mentioned are not going to get you anything you dont have now. if i were in your shoes, i would wait, and invest in a good set of aero wheels once you can spring for them. another slightly lighter or stiffer set of training wheels is not going to do much and its worth it to save and geta nicer pair of race wheels instead of going for a 2nd set of training wheels.

that said the races wheels need not be wildly expensive, lot a of good used, older, or not as popular models out there that you can find for great prices.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel/tire upgrade ? Rss Feed