General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood pressure questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-23 2:19 PM

Regular
New Minas, Nova Scotia
Subject: Blood pressure questions
I've been tested several times lately, and now the doctors want to put me on blood pressure medications.

Over the past month or so, I have been tested at 145/66 with a resting heart rate of 45. The doctor wants to put me on meds to lower the systolic measurement , but wouldn't that also raise my diastolic number as well. He wasn't really able to give me any ways to lower my systolic number.

I'm 22, 5' 10" 180 pounds. I'm at Basic military training right now, so I don't have a lot of control over what goes on concerning food prep. He was able to suggest cutting down on sodium, I only try to eat veggies and fruits, and stay away from obviously salty things (nuts, chips, pretzels, ect). He also suggested I try to lose weight, which seems ridiculous to me, being at 13-14% BF. Yes, I could lose weight, but it doesn't seem like it should be a controlling factor.

My blood pressure was high before I went to training, so it's most likely not stress related. I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with this issue, or any Tri'ing MD's had any suggestions? Thanks,

Tony

2008-12-23 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1869847

User image

Veteran
Belleville, MI
Subject: RE: Blood pressure questions
I am battling the blood meds too.  My doctor had to try several meds before find the one that worked for me.  The 1st meds had a beta blocker which was like putting a govener on my cardio system.  My doctor finally put me on Lisinop & Felodipine which has seem to do the trick.  Good luck in your endevor.
2008-12-27 9:40 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Tony, at 145 your systolic number is only borderline high and your diastolic at 66 is fine. Do you have a family history of high blood pressure? If so it may be harder to avoid meds than if not.  Are you taking any other things that might bump your BP up- like motrin, more that 2-3 beers a day or cold/allergy meds?  You might want to check out the DASH diet which has been shown to lower BP- it is mostly heavy on servings of fruit & veggies.  I have a strong history of high BP in the family and keep mine under good control with a diuretic (HCTZ) and an ACE inhibitor (lisinopril).  They have had a minimal effect on my heart rate and training.  Be sure to get several readings before going on meds and make sure they check your BP aftr you have been sitting, relaxed for at least 5 minutes.  Almost everyone's is high when they first come into a doc's office and the standards were developed on BP taken at rest.  Good luck.
2008-12-29 6:33 AM

User image

Champion

145 is not borderline high.  It is high, and if it is persistently that high, you're hypertensive.  Lifestyle inventions like exercise, stress reduction, and dietary changes offer some chances to lower it without medications, but generally those work rather poorly if you're already somewhat conscious of them.  

The truth is that any systolic BP over 115 can and should be worked on.  Each rise in 10 over 115 doubles your risk of heart disease in the future.  So 125/75 is NOT ideal.  Should you be on meds for it?  The official recommendations are no, and I'd agree with that, but it gives you an idea of why 145 is definitely not borderline anything.

Get the things you can under control, but don't be terribly surprised if you end up on meds.  It's not the end of the world, and you could avoid a host of health problems in the future by getting it under control now.

2008-12-29 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

The only suggestion that I have is that dining hall food tends to have a TON of sodium in it almost no matter what you get.

I realize in basic training that you have very little say over what you eat and very little time to eat it but just me more aware of the choices maybe.  You may be eating something that you don't even realize has salt in it.

Plain rice is usually a staple that doesn't have a lot of salt.  Anything with any kind of sauce is going to be full of salt.  If the fruits veggies aren't fresh they probably have a lot of salt.  Heck, almost anything from the hot line has a lot of salt...

2008-12-29 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1875415

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
DerekL - 2008-12-29 6:33 AM

145 is not borderline high.  It is high, and if it is persistently that high, you're hypertensive.  Lifestyle inventions like exercise, stress reduction, and dietary changes offer some chances to lower it without medications, but generally those work rather poorly if you're already somewhat conscious of them.  

The truth is that any systolic BP over 115 can and should be worked on.  Each rise in 10 over 115 doubles your risk of heart disease in the future.  So 125/75 is NOT ideal.  Should you be on meds for it?  The official recommendations are no, and I'd agree with that, but it gives you an idea of why 145 is definitely not borderline anything.

Get the things you can under control, but don't be terribly surprised if you end up on meds.  It's not the end of the world, and you could avoid a host of health problems in the future by getting it under control now.

Thanks for pointing this out, Derek.  It is a statement like this that I always believed in when my systolic BP was in the upper 130's and lower 140's and I did not "want to be on meds" - advance that 6 years and I was taking a combination of 6 BP meds - that's right, I said 6 -, on dialysis, and hoping to all that I found holy that I would get a kidney transplant before I died.  High BP is a precursor to many health problems and it slowly takes it's toll.  It is much like diabetes - and often related - in that you don't see the damage that it is doing on a day to day basis.  Then, all of the sudden - you are in the docs office and s/he is telling you that you are in big time trouble.  The difference between changing habits now in a small manner and arresting the problem before it goes further and changes your entire lifestyle (imagine a diet with very little potassium or phosphorous and very little fluids vs. not adding salt to your food) is gigantic.  Those of us with of a family history of high BP thanks to our genes, have an even harder battle to fight. 

Please, do what you can to lower your blood pressure naturally.  If you have to go on a dose of meds, take them religiously.  Please do not let it advance any farther before you take action.  I have been there, it is not fun, I wish to spare you that ordeal.

Be well, my friend. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood pressure questions Rss Feed